Civil rights and economic affluence

henryblack

henryblack
Total Posts:  1
Joined  08-10-2018

08 October 2018 23:43

I’ll suggest that the greater the economic affluence of a society and the more that affluence is distributed in the population and not just restricted to a small minority, the more “civil rights,” (e.g. acceptance of gays, freedom of speech, women’s status, religious tolerance, acceptance of non-believers) are found.  If and as a society declines in economic affluence, the more such rights are not respected.

The same correlation,  not unity but significant,  might be found with individuals. Hypothesis: on average, the chances are higher that wealthier people are more tolerant and accepting of diversities and freedom of expression.  You want blatant bigotry and intolerance?  Look at poor folks.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  19-01-2015

08 October 2018 23:48

Humans are kind, open-minded, peaceful and willing to share ...
... when they think they can easily afford it.
All of the progress described by Pinker is due to the fact that it is probably less effort to feed and house the poorest then fight off civil unrest.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

09 October 2018 00:07

Your first statement pretty much matches all data sets I’ve seen.

Your second statement not so much. I see it as a sweet spot, the poor are out to take what they can in a mob rules the end justifies the means kind of way, while the middle class are interdependent and need cooperate to keep what they have and try to gain more, and the rich are rich and so don’t need that cooperation as much and so can afford to more independent and less tolerate.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

09 October 2018 00:28

I agree that affluence is better than poverty all else being equal but I’m not sure I would use the word rights here. I feel like a right is something you seize and defend on the part of yourself and others on principle. If it’s merely contingent on wealth I don’t think it qualifies.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

09 October 2018 07:37

In the microcosm in which I live my professional life (a hospital system), this thesis holds true, I think. Among the affluent, there is great tolerance and respect, even though they come from all backgrounds and ethnic groups. The organization as a whole is pretty good to those on the lower ends of the totem pole, as well, so there is general respect for civil rights throughout the organization.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15191
Joined  17-12-2006

09 October 2018 07:58

And yet there are studies indicating that wealthier people are less generous that poor people. How does that fit with the idea that they will be more tolerant?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

09 October 2018 08:01

burt - 09 October 2018 07:58 AM

And yet there are studies indicating that wealthier people are less generous that poor people. How does that fit with the idea that they will be more tolerant?

My example was in a working environment. Not life in general. But the wealthy are pretty decent to other wealthy folks.  So the more affluent folks are, the more those around them show respect. The wealthy would not show much respect for the poor, which is why government usually has to take over the welfare function.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15191
Joined  17-12-2006

09 October 2018 09:58

EN - 09 October 2018 08:01 AM
burt - 09 October 2018 07:58 AM

My example was in a working environment. Not life in general. But the wealthy are pretty decent to other wealthy folks.  So the more affluent folks are, the more those around them show respect. The wealthy would not show much respect for the poor, which is why government usually has to take over the welfare function.

I’ve been told (obviously have never been there) that once a certain level of wealth is acquired the focus shifts from acquisition to preservation.