1 2 3 > 

A Disturbance in the Force

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7618
Joined  22-02-2014

17 October 2018 07:14

First off, I couldn’t decide which forum to put this thread in. In this case, every forum conveys a bias.

Yesterday during my usually pleasant 15 minute afternoon nap, I woke up from a horrible, violent dream in which I saw one of our horses break her leg. (This almost always means the horse has to be euthanized - that’s a topic for a different day.) This dream was SO violent and SO unusual that I spoke out loud “what the f##k was that?”.

Several hours later I got an email. A horse that we had boarded for several years colicked yesterday and had to be put down. This horse left our farm only two weeks ago, and was moved to a farm about 300 miles away. I like most horses, but with most of the horses we board, I don’t make much of a connection. But I had a strong connection with this horse.

Sure, probably a coincidence.

But for various reasons I’ve always felt there was something to the idea of “the Force”. Nothing like consciousness surviving death, but more like there’s a “spark” in us that returns to some sort of sea of such sparks. It’s always been a stretch for me to believe that an individual is just a bag of chemicals undergoing a long, complex chain of chemical reactions that just end after three or four score.

Regardless, it was quite a coincidence.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17529
Joined  15-02-2008

17 October 2018 08:14

And that is how ignorance, myth, magic and superstition start and propagate, feelings.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

17 October 2018 08:19

GAD - 17 October 2018 08:14 AM

And that is how ignorance, myth, magic and superstition start and propagate, feelings.

Yup. I posted this with some trepidation.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

17 October 2018 08:24

icehorse - 17 October 2018 08:19 AM
GAD - 17 October 2018 08:14 AM

Yup. I posted this with some trepidation.

Don’t worry you are in the company of billions of others.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6333
Joined  22-02-2005

17 October 2018 08:34

Until it is tangibly science, it is psychology.

I know the feeling of an impossible coincidence. Do you have a postulate? I don’t.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

17 October 2018 08:44

Nhoj Morley - 17 October 2018 08:34 AM

Until it is tangibly science, it is psychology.

I know the feeling of an impossible coincidence. Do you have a postulate? I don’t.

Sure, the psychology forum make sense.

As for a postulate - “a disturbance in the force” is how I think about it. I could say more if you want..

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3294
Joined  21-10-2016

17 October 2018 08:55

icehorse - 17 October 2018 07:14 AM

First off, I couldn’t decide which forum to put this thread in. In this case, every forum conveys a bias.

Yesterday during my usually pleasant 15 minute afternoon nap, I woke up from a horrible, violent dream in which I saw one of our horses break her leg. (This almost always means the horse has to be euthanized - that’s a topic for a different day.) This dream was SO violent and SO unusual that I spoke out loud “what the f##k was that?”.

Several hours later I got an email. A horse that we had boarded for several years colicked yesterday and had to be put down. This horse left our farm only two weeks ago, and was moved to a farm about 300 miles away. I like most horses, but with most of the horses we board, I don’t make much of a connection. But I had a strong connection with this horse.

But for various reasons I’ve always felt there was something to the idea of “the Force”. Nothing like consciousness surviving death, but more like there’s a “spark” in us that returns to some sort of sea of such sparks. It’s always been a stretch for me to believe that an individual is just a bag of chemicals undergoing a long, complex chain of chemical reactions that just end after three or four score.

I’m very sorry that your horse died yesterday.

I think it’s very human and natural to feel that we have a special connection to the people and creatures we care about.  And then to possibly misinterpret such coincidences to make it seem to be more than is possible, somehow spiritual.

Perhaps your subconscious had an inkling that there was something to worry about in this case, maybe due to this horse being far away and not under your care.  Or that you have a general concern for your horses that played out in a dream, coincidentally happening at this time.  I think that many of us have had dreams that something bad has happened to someone we care about, our worries playing out in our subconscious.  We forget about these when nothing happens, but they take on a meaning when something does.

I agree that we are more than just a sum of our parts, not “just a bag of chemicals”, but our connections do not have to be spiritual or extra-sensory to be profound.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

17 October 2018 09:14

I have had two similar dreams in the last month or so which has never happened before. In one all the furniture in the room started to float and rotate around the room and I was saying this defies the laws of physics and walked to the middle of the room and started to float and rotate around the room. I began screaming for someone to get a camera then I felt the strong presence of something alien, I woke up panting and feeling paranoid that something was in my house but was afraid to get up. I told myself that aliens in my house was not reasonable but myself said maybe there is a human intruder that manifest in my dream as aliens to wake me up to the threat. I finally had to get up and look around my house to be able to calm down. WTF was that? Just chemical reactions in my brain is the only reasonable explanation.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

17 October 2018 09:14

Jan_CAN - 17 October 2018 08:55 AM
icehorse - 17 October 2018 07:14 AM

I think it’s very human and natural to feel that we have a special connection to the people and creatures we care about.  And then to possibly misinterpret such coincidences to make it seem to be more than is possible, somehow spiritual.

Perhaps your subconscious had an inkling that there was something to worry about in this case, maybe due to this horse being far away and not under your care.  Or that you have a general concern for your horses that played out in a dream, coincidentally happening at this time.  I think that many of us have had dreams that something bad has happened to someone we care about, our worries playing out in our subconscious.  We forget about these when nothing happens, but they take on a meaning when something does.

I agree that we are more than just a sum of our parts, not “just a bag of chemicals”, but our connections do not have to be spiritual or extra-sensory to be profound.

Thanks.

I bolded one of your sentences. Usually I agree. In this case what seems really odd to me is that I commented on my own dream out loud. I’m not sure I ever recall doing that before.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15808
Joined  17-12-2006

17 October 2018 09:21

Years ago I found myself teetering between hard nosed materialism and a suspicion that there was more to the world than meets the eye (or was dreamt of in my philosophy). The problem was that every time I would settle into sleep in my nice and comfortable materialistic feather bed, something such as you describe would happen to wake me from that dogmatic slumber. Finally, I decided that suspension of judgment was the only appropriate response, inspired in part by this verse from Omar Khayyam:

“Some ponder long on doctrine and belief,
Some teeter between certitude and doubt.
Suddenly out of hiding leaps the Guide
With: ‘Fools, the Way is neither that nor this.’”

Which I recently paraphrased as

Occult mysteries only lead astray,
And sacred dogma doesn’t show the way.
To steer a way clear
Beyond greed and fear
I’ll sight my bow between the yea and nay.

In the experience you describe, I’d take talk of quantum entanglement, synchronicity, and such as “occult mysteries,” and dismissive ideas of pure coincidence, nothing to it as “sacred (materialistic) dogma.” Both cases driven by the minds desire to have a comforting explanation that allows it to remain asleep.

[ Edited: 17 October 2018 09:28 by burt]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3294
Joined  21-10-2016

17 October 2018 09:50

icehorse - 17 October 2018 09:14 AM

Thanks.

I bolded one of your sentences. Usually I agree. In this case what seems really odd to me is that I commented on my own dream out loud. I’m not sure I ever recall doing that before.

Yes, sometimes such personal experiences are difficult to just explain away.  Perhaps best to just accept that we don’t have all the answers, about the world or our own minds.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

17 October 2018 10:27

Perhaps an important point here (just an extension of burt and jan’s points), is that in general we can discuss ideas like “the force” without any need to rely on deities or anything supernatural. We don’t know how most stuff in the universe works yet.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6716
Joined  08-12-2006

17 October 2018 14:53

icehorse - 17 October 2018 09:14 AM

We forget about these when nothing happens, but they take on a meaning when something does.

Thanks.

That’s the perplexing thing about memory, isn’t it? If you forget doing something, you can’t recall doing it!

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1779
Joined  31-10-2015

17 October 2018 15:25

The most perplexing coincidence would be no coincidences ever.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6373
Joined  31-01-2012

17 October 2018 16:55

There’s something else. There’s no way this much handsome doesn’t survive consciousness.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

17 October 2018 17:19

icehorse - 17 October 2018 10:27 AM

Perhaps an important point here (just an extension of burt and jan’s points), is that in general we can discuss ideas like “the force” without any need to rely on deities or anything supernatural. We don’t know how most stuff in the universe works yet.

That’s the same reasoning theists, ghost hunters, witches etc use.

1 2 3 >