Bombs, bombs and more bombs

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

24 October 2018 18:47

So Trump targets particular people, labels them as bad or stupid, praises followers who attack his enemies, encourages followers to yell “lock her up”, and then - surprise, surprise, surprise - bombs start showing up addressed to them.  Some have conjectured that a Dem did it to create problems for the GOP, but I doubt it.  He has plowed this field, planted these seeds, and now is seeing the fruit of his labor.  But he made it all better by urging unity later. Then ran off to another “lock her up” rally.  It is the Triumph of the Profane.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

24 October 2018 19:12

Yet 50% of the country now approves of him and therefore what he does, that’s 1 out of every 2 people you see. Trump is proving the saying for celebrity ‘There is no such thing as bad publicity’.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

24 October 2018 19:19

Like you say, he’s winning.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

24 October 2018 19:25

EN - 24 October 2018 07:19 PM

Crazy isn’t it.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

24 October 2018 20:16

GAD - 24 October 2018 07:25 PM
EN - 24 October 2018 07:19 PM

Crazy isn’t it.

I didn’t see it coming.  Every now and then someone like him arises on the world stage, but it’s never happened here. The perfect storm of an egomaniac, an unsophisticated populace, underlying fear and hatred, and modern media.  All our weaknesses and flaws are being exposed.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  19-01-2015

24 October 2018 22:01

GAD - 24 October 2018 07:12 PM

Yet 50% of the country now approves of him and therefore what he does, that’s 1 out of every 2 people you see. Trump is proving the saying for celebrity ‘There is no such thing as bad publicity’.

That isn’t correct.
Something like 40% of the people asked and willing to respond approve of him.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6034
Joined  22-02-2005

24 October 2018 22:31

The field was plowed and the seeds were planted 38 years ago. Trump is the harvest. I hear folks say that he will make Jesus’s 2nd coming come sooner and that’s worth the bother of his shenanigans. Fer Christ sake, Jesus better come soon or He’ll find nothing but a pall.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-05-2009

25 October 2018 15:34

Michelle Obama tried to set a course with, “When they aim low, we aim high.”  But then came Antifa.  And screaming women in the elevator.  I know they have reason to be upset, but they are not helping. 

I do agree that Trump’s rhetoric and the mail bombs show the violence is on both sides.  And more on the Republican side, if we were to tally.  But what we need is leaders on both sides who are willing to disavow violence on any side, including their own side. 

I participated in a couple of women’s marches, so I’m on the mailing list for their fund raising.  I’ve chosen not to send money because I don’t see protesters disrupting Senate hearings as leading to positive outcomes.  Just more ammunition for the Republicans to label Dems as “the mob.”  Now the same women’s group which brought us pussy hats has come out with “Angry Mob” sweatshirts.  Not sure this will be very helpful either.  The various sides need to think about the perceptions of others, not just how to fire up their bases.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 October 2018 18:11

hannahtoo - 25 October 2018 03:34 PM

Michelle Obama tried to set a course with, “When they aim low, we aim high.”  But then came Antifa.  And screaming women in the elevator.  I know they have reason to be upset, but they are not helping. 

I do agree that Trump’s rhetoric and the mail bombs show the violence is on both sides.  And more on the Republican side, if we were to tally.  But what we need is leaders on both sides who are willing to disavow violence on any side, including their own side. 

I participated in a couple of women’s marches, so I’m on the mailing list for their fund raising.  I’ve chosen not to send money because I don’t see protesters disrupting Senate hearings as leading to positive outcomes.  Just more ammunition for the Republicans to label Dems as “the mob.”  Now the same women’s group which brought us pussy hats has come out with “Angry Mob” sweatshirts.  Not sure this will be very helpful either.  The various sides need to think about the perceptions of others, not just how to fire up their bases.

Good levelheaded post. Our civility has taken a hit.

MrRon

MrRon
Total Posts:  1649
Joined  14-08-2008

26 October 2018 05:42

Trump’s tepid teleprompter denouncement of violence in the wake of the mailings was incongruous to his usual fiery, unscripted, and conviction-filled speeches. To me, it seemed disingenuous. In fact, he continued to victim-blame, as he admonished the media for their “hostility”. Do you think that if the situation was reversed and bombs were mailed to prominent Republicans that he would have given the same somber “teleprompter” response?

Ron

[ Edited: 26 October 2018 05:49 by MrRon]

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6533
Joined  15-02-2007

26 October 2018 10:15

Looks like it was probably a florida man who’s van had all the markings of a ‘right-wing trump supporter’:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article220667845.html

Images posted on social media show federal agents examining a white van with windows covered in pro-Donald Trump and right wing stickers. Closeup photos of the van, posted by a Twitter user who said he saw the car at a stoplight in April, show rifle scope images over the faces of Hilary Clinton, left wing filmmaker Michael Moore and President Barack Obama. Another said “CNN Sucks,” along with an image of Trump standing on a tank in front of fireworks and an American flag.

Regardless of the mental state of the suspect, incendiary language on the part of the current administration undoubtedly played a part in incentivising this character’s actions. Further, it bolsters the statistics that demonstrate a majority of violent terrorist acts in the US being perpetrated by white right-wingers.

[ Edited: 26 October 2018 10:24 by Jefe]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8011
Joined  20-02-2006

26 October 2018 11:51

EN - 25 October 2018 06:11 PM
hannahtoo - 25 October 2018 03:34 PM

Good levelheaded post. Our civility has taken a hit.

Bringing the country together.  In 1860 levelheaded people said, “Abolitionists and slaveholders need to sit down and mend their differences . . . work things out.

https://www.pmgnotes.com/news/article/5360/History-of-Florida-Currency/

quote:  “During the Civil War, Florida, being a slave state, was one of the first states to secede from the Union following the election of Lincoln in 1860. Like other Confederate states during the time, Florida printed its own currency. The currency printed during this time often had depictions of slaves picking cotton. With nearly half of Florida’s population being slaves at this time, it was understandable that this would be a common theme on their currency.”  (scroll down to see Florida $1 bill)

So now people who suspect that global warming is going to cost a billion lives and 50 trillion dollars need to sit down and work things out with people who believe what Trump says.  Which of his states will be the first to print their own currency with coal miners depicted on it?  I wonder if Canadians have a copyright on ‘The Loonie’?

How about a $2 bill depicting ‘nodding donkeys’?  (oil pumpjacks)

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

26 October 2018 12:06

Jefe - 26 October 2018 10:15 AM

Looks like it was probably a florida man who’s van had all the markings of a ‘right-wing trump supporter’:

Images posted on social media show federal agents examining a white van with windows covered in pro-Donald Trump and right wing stickers. Closeup photos of the van, posted by a Twitter user who said he saw the car at a stoplight in April, show rifle scope images over the faces of Hilary Clinton, left wing filmmaker Michael Moore and President Barack Obama. Another said “CNN Sucks,” along with an image of Trump standing on a tank in front of fireworks and an American flag.

Regardless of the mental state of the suspect, incendiary language on the part of the current administration undoubtedly played a part in incentivising this character’s actions. Further, it bolsters the statistics that demonstrate a majority of violent terrorist acts in the US being perpetrated by white right-wingers.

They will still blame it on the Democrats and CNN.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

26 October 2018 12:51

Yes, more ugly right-wingers and a POTUS who instigates and encourages them.  But at least this time no one was injured or killed.  The latest report quoting the FBI says that they have matched fingerprints and DNA to the arrested suspect, so it looks like they do indeed ‘have their man’.  I think Americans can be duly satisfied / proud of their law enforcement, postal services, etc. in this regard.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

26 October 2018 14:29

Jan_CAN - 26 October 2018 12:51 PM

Yes, more ugly right-wingers and a POTUS who instigates and encourages them.  But at least this time no one was injured or killed.  The latest report quoting the FBI says that they have matched fingerprints and DNA to the arrested suspect, so it looks like they do indeed ‘have their man’.  I think Americans can be duly satisfied / proud of their law enforcement, postal services, etc. in this regard.

It’s really pretty impressive - I would not want to have them after me!