Satanic 11 & 12 Year-Old Girls?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

25 October 2018 13:12

Hard to comprehend this one.  How do young girls get to this point? I’m genuinely curious.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/24/us/florida-middle-girls-allegedly-wanted-to-kill-classmates/index.html

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3557
Joined  20-11-2013

25 October 2018 18:50

EN - 25 October 2018 01:12 PM

Hard to comprehend this one.  How do young girls get to this point? I’m genuinely curious.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/24/us/florida-middle-girls-allegedly-wanted-to-kill-classmates/index.html

Curious?  What kind of home life do these children have?  What values are being instilled in them by their parents?  Are their parents actively engaged in their parenting?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 October 2018 19:07

bbearren - 25 October 2018 06:50 PM
EN - 25 October 2018 01:12 PM

Curious?  What kind of home life do these children have?  What values are being instilled in them by their parents?  Are their parents actively engaged in their parenting?

But lots of kids have less than optimum home environments. There must have been something incredibly off-kilter here.  I’ll be following this.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-05-2009

25 October 2018 19:31

I wonder about that story.  The girls seem to have admitted the whole “plan” to the police pretty readily.  Even if the girls were just all big talk and fantasy, at least one of the pair must be seriously psychotic.  Their plan was delusional.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

25 October 2018 19:56

I saw this one as well and something just seems off, no way they could understand what they were doing.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

25 October 2018 20:00

hannahtoo - 25 October 2018 07:31 PM

I wonder about that story.  The girls seem to have admitted the whole “plan” to the police pretty readily.  Even if the girls were just all big talk and fantasy, at least one of the pair must be seriouslpsychotic.  Their plan was delusional.

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect kids that young to be able to make a great murder plan.  Piling dozens of bodies in a stall while drinking blood is a bit unrealistic.  Even with one or both being psychopathic, however, does not seem to explain just how they got to that point. Do psychopaths typically have death wishes?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

26 October 2018 08:10

EN - 25 October 2018 08:00 PM
hannahtoo - 25 October 2018 07:31 PM

I wonder about that story.  The girls seem to have admitted the whole “plan” to the police pretty readily.  Even if the girls were just all big talk and fantasy, at least one of the pair must be seriouslpsychotic.  Their plan was delusional.

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect kids that young to be able to make a great murder plan.  Piling dozens of bodies in a stall while drinking blood is a bit unrealistic.  Even with one or both being psychopathic, however, does not seem to explain just how they got to that point. Do psychopaths typically have death wishes?

Tragically, it is possible to explore every sort of weird, evil idea via the internet.  I recently read an investigative reporter’s piece on teen suicide.  She posed as a troubled teen on several popular support sites asking for help.  She received many replies from men claiming to offer understanding.  One she connected with via social media soon was trying to steer her toward self-harm and suicide.  Completely sicko.  Pair this with slasher movies and info on Satanic cults, and young people can get sucked into a very dark world.

bbearren

bbearren
Total Posts:  3557
Joined  20-11-2013

26 October 2018 13:52

I still have the same three questions.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

26 October 2018 16:26

bbearren - 26 October 2018 01:52 PM

I still have the same three questions.

You had four.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

28 October 2018 10:29

I think there is a covert fallacy in these questions (or maybe just in culture) that assumes an inherent and universal morality exists in children. We look at a small child and see something precious and worth defending because we are programmed to do that. I don’t think most kids are inspired to commit spree killings but they certainly exhibit a range of behaviors. When they aren’t raised and socialized to be civil they tend toward rather extreme behavior.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

28 October 2018 12:25

There is, however, a universal morality in the US that murder is morally wrong.  These girls have grown up in that milieu.  So unless their families are Satan worshipers or brutal in other ways, they probably got their extreme ideas from websites and social media and movies.  And since they were attracted to emulating these behaviors, I’d venture at least one was psychopathic.

Here’s an article about the Columbine killers entitled, The Depressive and the Psychopath.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2004/04/at-last-we-know-why-the-columbine-killers-did-it.html

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

28 October 2018 14:46

hannahtoo - 28 October 2018 12:25 PM

There is, however, a universal morality in the US that murder is morally wrong.  These girls have grown up in that milieu.  So unless their families are Satan worshipers or brutal in other ways, they probably got their extreme ideas from websites and social media and movies.  And since they were attracted to emulating these behaviors, I’d venture at least one was psychopathic.

Here’s an article about the Columbine killers entitled, The Depressive and the Psychopath.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2004/04/at-last-we-know-why-the-columbine-killers-did-it.html

Note that the idea that movies, music and video games drives people to commit violent acts has never to my knowledge be proven in general.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

28 October 2018 15:15

GAD - 28 October 2018 02:46 PM
hannahtoo - 28 October 2018 12:25 PM

There is, however, a universal morality in the US that murder is wrong.  These girls have grown up in that milieu.  So unless their families are Satan worshipers or brutal in other ways, they probably got their extreme ideas from websites and social media and movies.  And since they were attracted to emulating these behaviors, I’d venture at least one was psychopathic.

Note that the idea that movies, music and video games drives people to commit violent acts has never to my knowledge be proven in general.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15191
Joined  17-12-2006

28 October 2018 16:09

Remember the girls that were caught up in the “Slender Man” thing.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

31 October 2018 23:31

Also rule of large numbers. I don’t think it should be especially surprising in a group consisting of hundreds of millions of people that we will see some extreme behavior. I mean, how many amygdala tumors should we normally expect in a large metropolitan area. Is it germane to ask about the deficits of a culture when the sample is vanishingly small?

This isn’t to minimize any particular loss or the bizarre nature of any particular event. I just don’t think any single, isolated event is especially informative of large scale cultural deficits.

If, on the other hand we have behaviors that exhibit predictable patterns we have something to talk about.