1 2 3 > 

America Last

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-05-2009

26 October 2018 06:54

Trump pulled the US out of the Paris Climate Accord and has taken many steps to dissemble environmental protections in our country.  In contrast this week, the European Parliament voted to phase out single-use plastics.  This was more than a year after Kenya banned plastic bags.  China has had a 2/3 reduction in plastic bag use after a ban on thin bags and a tax on thicker bags.  Meanwhile, voluntary compliance in the the US is pathetic.  I see people leaving local grocery stores with carts full of plastic bags, and customers in restaurants mindlessly using plastic straws.  People feel that convenience and habit trump practical changes.

Decreasing use of plastics would decrease trash as well as dependence on oil.  But we are truly America last.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

26 October 2018 07:09

I depend on those plastic bags from the grocery store, they are my bathroom trash bags, car trash bag, special trash bags for messy waste, school lunch bags etc etc. Without them I would have to buy small plastic bags. So it really depends on your perspective.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  497
Joined  20-07-2017

26 October 2018 07:51

Yes Gad, you find that convenience and habit trump practical change.

If you had to, maybe you’d buy replacements; other people probably don’t find as much value in them, and would end up using less if we tried to phase them out.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

26 October 2018 08:13

mapadofu - 26 October 2018 07:51 AM

If you had to, maybe you’d buy replacements; other people probably don’t find as much value in them, and would end up using less if we tried to phase them out.

I guess I’m evil that way. And all phasing them out does is go back to paper which cost more and don’t get reused as much. But hey, it feels good and that’s all that counts.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-05-2009

26 October 2018 08:16

Gee, I wonder what people did before plastic trash bags?  They didn’t just let trash and goo lie around.  I remember using paper garbage bags and occasionally rinsing out the trash can.  Extra grimy stuff could be double bagged or wrapped in newspaper.  Not an overwhelming burden.  Or maybe today, people could buy biodegradable plastic bags for essential uses.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

26 October 2018 08:19

GAD - 26 October 2018 08:13 AM

I guess I’m evil that way. And all phasing them out does is go back to paper which cost more and don’t get reused as much. But hey, it feels good and that’s all that counts.

No, not paper ... cloth bags, just kept in the car trunk for grocery days; not at all inconvenient and environment friendly.
Biodegradable plastic bags used for garbage, and each household limited to one bag per week, which is not that difficult when all metal (cans), plastics and cardboard packaging are recycled and organic waste composted.

[ Edited: 26 October 2018 08:40 by Jan_CAN]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

26 October 2018 08:34

hannahtoo - 26 October 2018 08:16 AM

Gee, I wonder what people did before plastic trash bags?  They didn’t just let trash and goo lie around.  I remember using paper garbage bags and occasionally rinsing out the trash can.  Extra grimy stuff could be double bagged or wrapped in newspaper.  Not an overwhelming burden.  Or maybe today, people could buy biodegradable plastic bags for essential uses.

They had nasty messes that they didn’t want to deal with and plastic bags were a godsend.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

26 October 2018 08:38

Jan_CAN - 26 October 2018 08:19 AM

No, not paper ... cloth bags, just kept in the car trunk for grocery days; not at all inconvenient and environment friendly.
Biodegradable plastic bags used for garbage, and each household limited to one bag per week, which is not that difficult when all plastics and cardboard packaging are recycled and organic waste composted.

Actually all plastics and cardboard are not recycled, they were “shipped” to cheap places like China who dealt with the mess but now China doesn’t want it either and my garbage rates went up to cover the added landfill costs.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3014
Joined  26-03-2013

26 October 2018 08:44

Cloth bags made from the hardworking children of Indochina.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

26 October 2018 09:10

Making responsible decisions is sometimes hard. Sarcasm is easy.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

26 October 2018 09:13

GAD - 26 October 2018 08:38 AM
Jan_CAN - 26 October 2018 08:19 AM

Biodegradable plastic bags used for garbage, and each household limited to one bag per week, which is not that difficult when all plastics and cardboard packaging are recycled and organic waste composted.

Actually all plastics and cardboard are not recycled, they were “shipped” to cheap places like China who dealt with the mess but now China doesn’t want it either and my garbage rates went up to cover the added landfill costs.

My understanding is that the shipping of plastics out-of-country is ending.  Of course, there are still enormous problems at what to do with the vast amount of waste, especially plastics as we have become too dependent on these and so many people are unwilling to comply in reducing its use.  That’s why regulations may be needed.  People will of course resist, but then may find that it’s really not that difficult.  The waste produced by each individual in the west could probably be reduced by half.

Last week when out to dinner, our water and soft drinks arrived at the table with four plastic straws which we didn’t want or need.  Fast food places could use cups with lids such as coffee cups with open tabs which don’t require straws, coffee shops could give you a few cents off your coffee if you bring your travel cup for filling.  Packaging can be reduced without any inconvenience; e.g. a nail file doesn’t need to be covered in hard plastic and six inches of cardboard.  etc., etc., etc.

There are just too many people for the planet to support without eventually drowning in our own garbage if steps aren’t taken.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6129
Joined  31-01-2012

26 October 2018 09:21

I’ve just decided to stop getting to know really young people. I figure I really don’t want to have to deal with the earth exploding on them.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3014
Joined  26-03-2013

26 October 2018 09:27

Brick Bungalow - 26 October 2018 09:10 AM

Making responsible decisions is sometimes hard. Sarcasm is easy.

Sarcasm is a responsible decision when what you are saying is true.  Delusion is easy.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6533
Joined  15-02-2007

26 October 2018 09:48

Considering that we’ve now found micro-plastic in our own guts, the plastic question may become more pressing.

(Of course, this could just be another test of our own cleverness as a species.  We might fail the test, too.)

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

26 October 2018 12:09

Sheep bladders; line your trashcan with sheep bladders.  They can be stretched to fit all different sizes.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8011
Joined  20-02-2006

26 October 2018 12:09

Does anyone know how to enlarge this and read the caption?  I think it’s near Jakarta, and he used to fish here.  https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/photos/31-photos-that-show-how-plastic-is-polluting-our-planet/ss-AAy9uON?li=AAggbRN

[ Edited: 26 October 2018 12:14 by unsmoked]
Image Attachments

130_3015-2-b.JPG

1 2 3 >