< 1 2

Pittsburgh Massacre

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-05-2009

28 October 2018 15:22

He definitely sets a dangerous tone.  But I think it is important to distinguish between people resonating to the tone versus those who support the man, Trump.  For example, women screaming at Sen. Flake in an elevator are reverberations of that tone, though they are vehemently anti-Trump.  Antifa the same phenomenon.  The irony is that Trump justifies continuing his incivility in reaction to the reactions.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

28 October 2018 16:07

hannahtoo - 28 October 2018 03:22 PM

He definitely sets a dangerous tone.  But I think it is important to distinguish between people resonating to the tone versus those who support the man, Trump.  For example, women screaming at Sen. Flake in an elevator are reverberations of that tone, though they are vehemently anti-Trump.  Antifa the same phenomenon.  The irony is that Trump justifies continuing his incivility in reaction to the reactions.

In my opinion, your comparison here with these women (victims of sexual assault), who were crying and yelling at Sen. Flake in the elevator, is not a fair or valid one.  They were shouting out their frustration and pain and were not in the least threatening or violent; Flake was embarrassed, not frightened.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-05-2009

28 October 2018 16:36

Jan_CAN - 28 October 2018 04:07 PM
hannahtoo - 28 October 2018 03:22 PM

In my opinion, your comparison here with these women (victims of sexual assault), who were crying and yelling at Sen. Flake in the elevator, is not a fair or valid one.  They were shouting out their frustration and pain and were not in the least threatening or violent; Flake was embarrassed, not frightened.

Intimidating?  Out of line?
What if female Trump supporters had been yelling at Chuck Shumer about how they feel abortion is murder?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

30 October 2018 08:48

As politicians and newscasters debate, accuse and analyze, the people of Pittsburgh have come together to grieve and comfort each other.  Vigils are being held around the world in remembrance and to say ‘no’ to hate.  A message to the haters and intolerant that love and basic human decency will win out in the end and that acts of violence will only serve to backfire on the perpetrators.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  16881
Joined  15-02-2008

30 October 2018 09:03

Jan_CAN - 30 October 2018 08:48 AM

As politicians and newscasters debate, accuse and analyze, the people of Pittsburgh have come together to grieve and comfort each other.  Vigils are being held around the world in remembrance and to say ‘no’ to hate.  A message to the haters and intolerant that love and basic human decency will win out in the end and that acts of violence will only serve to backfire on the perpetrators.

I don’t know, hate, intolerance and violence have dominated throughout all of human history and it doesn’t look like it is going anywhere anytime soon.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

30 October 2018 09:26

GAD - 30 October 2018 09:03 AM
Jan_CAN - 30 October 2018 08:48 AM

I don’t know, hate, intolerance and violence have dominated throughout all of human history and it doesn’t look like it is going anywhere anytime soon.

I also don’t know and am disheartened by our human history and current events, but also want to see that there is some hope to be seen when people do come together, when they forget about politics and differences, united in an empowering rejection of hate and violence.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  19-01-2015

30 October 2018 23:18

The only thing that gives me some hope is how stupid and ineffectual the shooter was in choosing his target.
In Weimar Germany, politically motivated violence was common, but the targets were people some might consider legitimate, in a twisted sense.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

31 October 2018 14:25

Whether the shooter was a Trump supporter feels a bit arbitrary to me. Trump has endorsed and validated the alt right and national chauvinism and the larger think tank that blames every social ill on liberal conspiracies. There may be discord but the deficit is unified.

Within hours of the massacre talk radio outlets and call in interview shows were intimating variations of the false flag narrative. We now know that this isn’t some marginal fringe. These listeners ARE the swing vote. There was the familiar spectrum of contrived explanations that ran the gamut from ‘the shooter was a democrat’ to ‘the jews shot up their own synagogue’.

Just scan the comments. Listen to any conservative pundit you like. Concern over violence from the left is always tactical and never sincere. OR direct blame for the violence can placed on some amorphous notion of ‘The Left’. The signal feels pretty unmistakable to me. Conservatives are in power. Conservatives will blame every social ill on Liberals. This is how you create license. This is how you tacitly normalize domestic terrorism. You can witness the gas lighting and contempt in this very forum.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  19-01-2015

01 November 2018 00:05

Just before the shooting, Trump called himself a Nationalist and his opponents Globalists - which is a jet-engine level of Dog-whistle for Jews-controlling-the-world.
He even supported a tweet blaming Soros for the Caravan.

A Venn diagram of Trump and the Synagogue Shooter has a definite overlap.

< 1 2