‘Enemies of the People’ - clearly a command to attack

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8011
Joined  20-02-2006

29 October 2018 09:52

‘Enemies of the People’ is clearly a command to attack.  It is as clear as a sheriff and his posse showing their bloodhounds a piece of clothing and saying, “Go get them!”

But who are the attack dogs?  Psychopaths make up 1% of the general population, so Trump can assume that 1% of his 62 million supporters, or 620,000 people are psychopaths.  When he leads his supporters in hateful chants, when he tells them that the New York Times, CNN, The Washington Post, etc. are their enemies, he knows what he is doing.  Among the 620,000 psychopaths who voted for him are those who hate Jews, hate non-whites, hate Hispanics, Hate Muslims. “They’re criminals!”  He tells his supporters and they cheer.  “They’re rapists!” he shouts, and they cheer.  “They’re hidden among that caravan of thousands of Hondurans marching toward our border!”

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/the-tree-of-life-shooting-and-the-return-of-anti-semitism-to-american-life?

quote from this article:  “There has long been a casual assumption that homegrown anti-Semitism could not happen here, that “The Plot Against America” would remain the fantastical counter-factual that Philip Roth intended it to be. And yet, the warning signs have become increasingly clear. Since the 2016 Presidential campaign, anti-Semitic vitriol has exploded on the Internet. Neo-Nazis tweet swastikas and Hitler-era propaganda of leering, hook-nosed rabbis. Holocaust deniers discuss “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion” in plain view. Jewish journalists and other public figures have had their profile pictures Photoshopped onto images of lampshades and bars of soap. The name “George Soros” is no longer invoked as a dog whistle, but as an ambulance siren. “The Jewish question” is debated on alt-right blogs and news sites. In the run-up to the election, anti-Semites began to put Jewish names in sets of triple parentheses—a yellow star for the digital age, by which to un-assimilate the assimilated. Jews rushed to claim and defang the symbol, turning it into a voluntary declaration of pride, but the scar of its origins remains. For a time after Donald Trump’s election, I collected screenshots of racist and anti-Semitic hate speech I came across. Then I stopped. The proof was everywhere, plain as day.”  (end New Yorker quote)

Q:  Why is everyone pussyfooting around the fact that his ‘Enemies of the People’ slogan is a command to attack?  Trump has shown the psychopaths the piece of clothing.  They know who the enemies of the people are.  Now they are off the leash. 

(google today’s article in the Washington Post - ‘Trump renews attacks on media as ‘the true Enemy of the People’)

[ Edited: 29 October 2018 10:09 by unsmoked]

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2582
Joined  19-01-2015

30 October 2018 23:09

Not just enemies (threat to the nation) but Trump repeatedly called Clinton, the Media and others “EVIL”, i.e. to God and everyone’s Soul!
Trump intentionally says that not supporting him is the same as Satanic Worship.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

31 October 2018 11:29

Twissel - 30 October 2018 11:09 PM

Not just enemies (threat to the nation) but Trump repeatedly called Clinton, the Media and others “EVIL”, i.e. to God and everyone’s Soul!
Trump intentionally says that not supporting him is the same as Satanic Worship.

“60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl recalled an exchange she had with Trump in 2016 in which she pressed him on why he repeatedly insults journalists. His response, according to Stahl, was: “You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you.”

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

01 November 2018 10:04

unsmoked - 31 October 2018 11:29 AM
Twissel - 30 October 2018 11:09 PM

“60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl recalled an exchange she had with Trump in 2016 in which she pressed him on why he repeatedly insults journalists. His response, according to Stahl, was: “You know why I do it? I do it to discredit you all and demean you all so when you write negative stories about me, no one will believe you.”

The President who is an arsonist.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/american-democracy-is-malfunctioning-in-tragic-fashion?

quote from this article:  “When opposition politicians cannot open their mail without fear of being blown up, when people of religion cannot attend their houses of worship without fear of being shot to death, and when the President cannot forswear partisan attacks for more than a few hours after a deadly act of terror, then liberal democracy is malfunctioning in tragic fashion. As Americans, and particularly Jewish Americans, watched the news this weekend, they could be forgiven for believing that the horrors other countries have endured at other times were now upon them.”

“Of course, a few isolated acts of political violence do not add up to a conflagration. But the pluralist American model badly needs shoring up, and some of the necessary measures are obvious ones. The United States needs new gun laws that make it impossible for anyone full of hate to accumulate a personal armory. It needs restraints on the propagation of hate speech that take account of the fearsome reach and power of the Internet. It needs changes to the electoral system that empower the will of the majority, while still affording protections for minorities. And the country needs a President who isn’t an arsonist.”

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4898
Joined  28-05-2009

05 November 2018 08:57

Trump speeches strike me as ham handed, boiler plate nationalism. No new ideas whatsoever. It’s depressing that such well tread material is so effective and so popular. Especially after the preceding century.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  403
Joined  28-04-2017

05 November 2018 10:08

The following is copy-pasted from Trump’s tweet, which I believe is what you and others are referring to.

“The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!”

There are only 2 options here:

1. Either you, and others are refusing to accurately quote or even describe what he said.
2.  You are referencing another quote I am not familiar with.

If it’s #1, then this is a truly comical display of hypocrisy and dishonesty.  If Trump says something and the media changes the meaning of the quote by omitting a crucial detail, then they absolutely are “fake news” - if someone commits violence because they believe Trump said the media is the enemy of the American people (based on the media manipulating his quote), the media shares blame for poisoning the mind of that unstable person.  The funny part is where the media wants to blame Trump for people committing violence based on quotes they manipulated of Trump’s. 

If it’s #1, what is your excuse for not even doing a 5 second Google search to find the quote itself?  Do you believe the “fake” adjective is irrelevant here?  I’d love to hear an explanation for why that is.

If it’s #2, then what quote by Trump are you referring to?

ubique13

ubique13
Total Posts:  862
Joined  10-03-2017

05 November 2018 12:17

Brick Bungalow - 05 November 2018 08:57 AM

Trump speeches strike me as ham handed, boiler plate nationalism. No new ideas whatsoever. It’s depressing that such well tread material is so effective and so popular. Especially after the preceding century.

To paraphrase Nietzsche, “Never underestimate the power of mediocrity.”

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

07 November 2018 11:38

Quadrewple - 05 November 2018 10:08 AM

The following is copy-pasted from Trump’s tweet, which I believe is what you and others are referring to.

“The FAKE NEWS media (failing @nytimes, @NBCNews, @ABC, @CBS, @CNN) is not my enemy, it is the enemy of the American People!”

There are only 2 options here:

1. Either you, and others are refusing to accurately quote or even describe what he said.
2.  You are referencing another quote I am not familiar with.

If it’s #1, then this is a truly comical display of hypocrisy and dishonesty.  If Trump says something and the media changes the meaning of the quote by omitting a crucial detail, then they absolutely are “fake news” - if someone commits violence because they believe Trump said the media is the enemy of the American people (based on the media manipulating his quote), the media shares blame for poisoning the mind of that unstable person.  The funny part is where the media wants to blame Trump for people committing violence based on quotes they manipulated of Trump’s. 

If it’s #1, what is your excuse for not even doing a 5 second Google search to find the quote itself?  Do you believe the “fake” adjective is irrelevant here?  I’d love to hear an explanation for why that is.

If it’s #2, then what quote by Trump are you referring to?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/donald-trumps-final-bitter-midterm-rallies?

quote:  “Did it happen just that way? Does it happen all the time? It is hard to know if that matters to Trump, compared with his essential message: rallies are a time for gratitude, for paying homage. For the crowds, that is perhaps supposed to be empowering and enthralling; they, with their presence, get to be called “very, very powerful.” In the final rally on Monday night, in Missouri, Trump summoned his daughter to the stage (“Ivanka, say a few words—come, honey”) and, with a trilling laugh, she said, “Hi, Missouri! We love you, we love you! So much love!” There were also appearances by Rush Limbaugh (“These rallies!” Limbaugh, a native of Cape Girardeau, Missouri, where the rally was held, told the crowd, as it swung toward a chant of “Lock her up”); Sean Hannity and Jeanine Pirro, of Fox News (a dose of celebrity, and a reminder of the network’s supportive function); Sarah Huckabee Sanders, the White House press secretary; and Kellyanne Conway. As Ivanka walked offstage, Trump riffed on the idea of élites. “I know all the élites. They’re not very smart, in many cases. They have a lot of hatred in their heart,” he told the crowd, and then continued, “We have better houses, homes, boats. We do better than they do, we work harder than they do, we make more money than they do. You—we—are the super élites.”  (end quote)

A woman on a panel discussion says she worries about Trump supporters more than Trump because he’ll be gone within 6 years at most, but they will remain.  “They are ‘Anti me, because they’re listening to him.”