Shelter

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

29 October 2018 11:42

So much hatred between tribes these days. The example of some in Nazi-occupied Europe has me thinking.

If you are an Atheist, and a true persecution of Christians broke out, would you shelter a Christian in your home?

If you are a Christian, and a true persecution of Muslims broke out, would you shelter a Muslim in your home?

If you are a Muslim, and a true persecution of Atheists broke out, would you shelter an Atheist in your home?

Thought experiments can help challenge us.  You can put any group in the questions above. Personally, I think Jews are probably the group that would be most likely to shelter anyone who was persecuted, having been through it themselves.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

29 October 2018 12:57

I sincerely hope I would have the courage to shelter anyone who was being persecuted.  It seems though that one of the most important lessons learned from Nazi Germany is that such evil must be fought hard before it ever gets to that point, at the first sign of ANY restrictions to the rights of ANY group of people.

I think you make a good point that people who have known persecution being the most likely to help others who are persecuted.  Several years ago I watched a documentary, Weapons of the Spirit, which I found to be a profound lesson in what it means to be truly good.  It was about the people of Le Chambon-sur-Lignon, mostly modest peasants, who by the end of the war had sheltered many hundreds of Jews.  These villagers were descendants of the Huguenots, first Protestants in Catholic France, who remembered their own history of persecution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chambon-sur-Lignon

Weapons of the Spirit by Pierre Sauvage
https://www.chambon.org/weapons_en.htm

Le Chambon: “Weapons of the Spirit” excerpt from film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlJql-TY6c

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6533
Joined  15-02-2007

29 October 2018 14:20

I’d sure like to think i would shelter someone(s).

I have intervened on behalf of some victims in the past so I know helping is in my nature.

(Asked a girl crying into her phone if she needed help.  Ended uo giving her a lift to a women’s shelter - my wife was in the car so I presume she thought we were safe.  Got between a young lady and an inebriated ‘admirer’ at a pub.  That kind of thing…)

[ Edited: 29 October 2018 14:25 by Jefe]

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-05-2009

29 October 2018 15:36

If we got to that point in the US, it would be apocalyptic, shocking for a minority to be arrested and jailed for who they are.  Not impossible, considering Americans in the 1800’s made the choice to be part of the underground railroad.  I wonder, did anyone shelter Japanese Americans during WWII to keep them out of internment camps?

In our times, more pertinent questions might be:

Would you donate to groups who help immigrants navigate the process of obtaining citizenship?

Would you help disadvantaged youth, or homeless people, or folks with mental illness to succeed?

Would you lend support to neighbors who were victims of a hate crime?

Would you attend a good will event at a Muslim mosque?

Etc…

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1304
Joined  31-10-2015

29 October 2018 18:01

EN - 29 October 2018 11:42 AM

So much hatred between tribes these days. The example of some in Nazi-occupied Europe has me thinking.

If you are an Atheist, and a true persecution of Christians broke out, would you shelter a Christian in your home?

If you are a Christian, and a true persecution of Muslims broke out, would you shelter a Muslim in your home?

If you are a Muslim, and a true persecution of Atheists broke out, would you shelter an Atheist in your home?

Thought experiments can help challenge us.  You can put any group in the questions above. Personally, I think Jews are probably the group that would be most likely to shelter anyone who was persecuted, having been through it themselves.

Over the years, a few people in need of a home have stayed with me, temporarily. So far, no one has been willing to talk about religion. I’d love it if the next person were more vocal about their faith or lack of it, as it could make for interesting conversation. The more foreign (to me) the religion, the better!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20792
Joined  11-03-2007

30 October 2018 04:47

nonverbal - 29 October 2018 06:01 PM

Over the years, a few people in need of a home have stayed with me, temporarily. So far, no one has been willing to talk about religion. I’d love it if the next person were more vocal about their faith or lack of it, as it could make for interesting conversation. The more foreign (to me) the religion, the better!

You let me stay one night - thanks for the shelter.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1304
Joined  31-10-2015

30 October 2018 06:53

EN - 30 October 2018 04:47 AM
nonverbal - 29 October 2018 06:01 PM

You let me stay one night - thanks for the shelter.

Ha—fortunately, most overnight guests are willing to talk about their faith. But if I remember right, no one seemed interested in serious discussion at that ‘08 party.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8011
Joined  20-02-2006

30 October 2018 10:51

Jan_CAN - 29 October 2018 12:57 PM

I sincerely hope I would have the courage to shelter anyone who was being persecuted.  It seems though that one of the most important lessons learned from Nazi Germany is that such evil must be fought hard before it ever gets to that point, at the first sign of ANY restrictions to the rights of ANY group of people.

I think you make a good point that people who have known persecution being the most likely to help others who are persecuted.  Several years ago I watched a documentary, Weapons of the Spirit, which I found to be a profound lesson in what it means to be truly good.  It was about the people of Le Chambon-sur-Lignon, mostly modest peasants, who by the end of the war had sheltered many hundreds of Jews.  These villagers were descendants of the Huguenots, first Protestants in Catholic France, who remembered their own history of persecution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chambon-sur-Lignon

Weapons of the Spirit by Pierre Sauvage
https://www.chambon.org/weapons_en.htm

Le Chambon: “Weapons of the Spirit” excerpt from film
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdlJql-TY6c

Probably hundreds or thousands of the people trudging north from Honduras really are being persecuted.  Probably some of them really will be killed when they’re sent back.  http://theconversation.com/how-us-policy-in-honduras-set-the-stage-for-todays-migration-65935

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2623
Joined  21-10-2016

30 October 2018 12:01

unsmoked - 30 October 2018 10:51 AM

Probably hundreds or thousands of the people trudging north from Honduras really are being persecuted.  Probably some of them really will be killed when they’re sent back.  http://theconversation.com/how-us-policy-in-honduras-set-the-stage-for-todays-migration-65935

Tragically, you’re probably right.  As per international law, they should be processed to determine status as refugees, not met by a large military force being sent by Trump, apparently to garner votes.

The many refugee/immigration crises, often exacerbated by ineffective and destructive western interference, could be better addressed by appropriate aid and support rather than standoffs at borders.