Jefe
Total Posts:  6757
Joined  15-02-2007

01 November 2018 09:24

burt - 01 November 2018 09:17 AM
hannahtoo - 01 November 2018 08:47 AM
GAD - 01 November 2018 08:32 AM
hannahtoo - 01 November 2018 08:23 AM

Words do matter.  Everyone in the US should be hyper aware of this right now. 

Stupid:  having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

Fertility rates have shown a dramatic drop.  Are people becoming more intelligent, or simply more able to defer pregnancy?  Ignorance is different from stupidity and requires a different approach to deal with.

You just can’t get off that soapbox, can you. I know the difference (I have an IQ of 135-145), and I’m going to keep saying stupid because it’s how I want to phrase it (and it bothers you) smile

Thanks for being honest.

It’s the common sense part that carries much weight, there are many high IQ types who can, in my opinion, be considered “stupid.”

“My momma told me, stupid is as stupid does…”  Mr. Gump

Being intelligent doesn’t mean one makes the best decisions all the time, or takes the best actions.
Same for being less-intelligent.  It also applies across levels of education.  Just because one is highly educated doesn’t necessarily invest one in a great deal of cross disciplinary sense.  Just look at Ben Carson.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17358
Joined  15-02-2008

01 November 2018 09:33

Jefe - 01 November 2018 09:24 AM
burt - 01 November 2018 09:17 AM
hannahtoo - 01 November 2018 08:47 AM
GAD - 01 November 2018 08:32 AM
hannahtoo - 01 November 2018 08:23 AM

Words do matter.  Everyone in the US should be hyper aware of this right now. 

Stupid:  having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.

Fertility rates have shown a dramatic drop.  Are people becoming more intelligent, or simply more able to defer pregnancy?  Ignorance is different from stupidity and requires a different approach to deal with.

You just can’t get off that soapbox, can you. I know the difference (I have an IQ of 135-145), and I’m going to keep saying stupid because it’s how I want to phrase it (and it bothers you) smile

Thanks for being honest.

It’s the common sense part that carries much weight, there are many high IQ types who can, in my opinion, be considered “stupid.”

“My momma told me, stupid is as stupid does…”  Mr. Gump

Being intelligent doesn’t mean one makes the best decisions all the time, or takes the best actions.
Same for being less-intelligent.  It also applies across levels of education.  Just because one is highly educated doesn’t necessarily invest one in a great deal of cross disciplinary sense.  Just look at Ben Carson.

Indeed. And I did include myself in the “less stupid” category.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  01-11-2014

01 November 2018 10:23

True stupidity is to pollute and poison the environment knowing full well that you are increasing global warming, but continuing to do so because of greed.

True stupidity is to live in a world of delusion telling yourself that the Rapture will be coming any day now to take you, your children and fellow believers to heaven. Because of this, there’s no reason to worry about the planet or it’s creatures.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

01 November 2018 10:28

When we denigrate poor people, it’s easier to exploit them or ignore their humanity.

...But maybe I’m taking all this too seriously, since my chain is being yanked.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8356
Joined  20-02-2006

01 November 2018 11:35

Cheshire Cat - 01 November 2018 10:23 AM

True stupidity is to pollute and poison the environment knowing full well that you are increasing global warming, but continuing to do so because of greed.

True stupidity is to live in a world of delusion telling yourself that the Rapture will be coming any day now to take you, your children and fellow believers to heaven. Because of this, there’s no reason to worry about the planet or it’s creatures.

We know what Trump is doing to get the white supremacist vote, and what he is doing to get the evangelical vote, and what he is doing to get the Republican vote, and what he is doing to get the anti-intellectual and science vote, and . . . just glance at this even if you don’t have time to read it all - the photo of all the wise men standing around him as he signs it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/jul/21/trump-global-death-warrant-women-family-planning-population-reproductive-rights-mexico-city-policy

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

01 November 2018 12:17

We know what Trump is doing to get the white supremacist vote, and what he is doing to get the evangelical vote, and what he is doing to get the Republican vote, and what he is doing to get the anti-intellectual and science vote, and . . . just glance at this even if you don’t have time to read it all - the photo of all the wise men standing around him as he signs it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2017/jul/21/trump-global-death-warrant-women-family-planning-population-reproductive-rights-mexico-city-policy

The surprising thing about the photo is that none of them have been indicted on felony charges ... yet.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17358
Joined  15-02-2008

01 November 2018 18:08

hannahtoo - 01 November 2018 10:28 AM

When we denigrate poor people, it’s easier to exploit them or ignore their humanity.

Do worry, all they have to do is post pics of their poor and stupid children crying with sad little faces and the billions pour in to fund the next poor and stupid generation.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

02 November 2018 06:21

GAD - 01 November 2018 06:08 PM

Do worry, all they have to do is post pics of their poor and stupid children crying with sad little faces and the billions pour in to fund the next poor and stupid generation.

You might want to cut back on the coffee at dinner time.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15614
Joined  17-12-2006

02 November 2018 08:26

hannahtoo - 02 November 2018 06:21 AM

I think Jonathan Swift comes in at this point. https://books.google.ca/books/about/A_Modest_Proposal_for_Preventing_the_Chi.html?id=t1MJAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f;=false

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

02 November 2018 10:53

burt - 02 November 2018 08:26 AM

I think Jonathan Swift comes in at this point. https://books.google.ca/books/about/A_Modest_Proposal_for_Preventing_the_Chi.html?id=t1MJAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f;=false

I got an error when I clicked on your link, Burt.

GAD is just trying to piss you off, Hannah.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

02 November 2018 10:53

hannahtoo - 02 November 2018 06:21 AM

I think Jonathan Swift comes in at this point with his Modest Proposal.

Swift’s Modest Proposal in a nutshell. -  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

Thomas Jefferson, a very intelligent man, told his slave overseer to encourage the slave women at Monticello to have more children.  He could then sell them at auction when they were old enough to fetch a good price.  He shocked George Washington by suggesting that this was a good way to supplement their plantation incomes. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-dark-side-of-thomas-jefferson-35976004/?all

quote:  “The critical turning point in Jefferson’s thinking may well have come in 1792. As Jefferson was counting up the agricultural profits and losses of his plantation in a letter to President Washington that year, it occurred to him that there was a phenomenon he had perceived at Monticello but never actually measured. He proceeded to calculate it in a barely legible, scribbled note in the middle of a page, enclosed in brackets. What Jefferson set out clearly for the first time was that he was making a 4 percent profit every year on the birth of black children. The enslaved were yielding him a bonanza, a perpetual human dividend at compound interest. Jefferson wrote, “I allow nothing for losses by death, but, on the contrary, shall presently take credit four per cent. per annum, for their increase over and above keeping up their own numbers.” His plantation was producing inexhaustible human assets. The percentage was predictable.”

“In another communication from the early 1790s, Jefferson takes the 4 percent formula further and quite bluntly advances the notion that slavery presented an investment strategy for the future. He writes that an acquaintance who had suffered financial reverses “should have been invested in negroes.” He advises that if the friend’s family had any cash left, “every farthing of it [should be] laid out in land and negroes, which besides a present support bring a silent profit of from 5. to 10. per cent in this country by the increase in their value.”

[ Edited: 02 November 2018 11:01 by unsmoked]

brazen4

brazen4
Total Posts:  174
Joined  09-08-2017

02 November 2018 11:24

I definitely do not have Jefferson up on any sort of pedestal. He is one of the best examples of someone who “has the talk”, and he had it in spades, but did not have “the walk” by any stretch, not even close.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

02 November 2018 12:02

brazen4 - 02 November 2018 11:24 AM

I definitely do not have Jefferson up on any sort of pedestal. He is one of the best examples of someone who “has the talk”, and he had it in spades, but did not have “the walk” by any stretch, not even close.

On their expedition to the West Coast, Lewis and Clark took silver medallions to present to Native American chiefs along the way.  These ‘Jefferson Peace Medals’ were engraved with the President’s image.  http://www.lewis-clark.org/article/350  Not all of the recipients were favorably impressed.  Some may have had premonitions of disaster for their people.

quote: 

Henry’s Report From Mandans, 1806

“Alexander Henry the Younger, a fur trader with the Northwest Company, visited the Mandan and Hidatsa villages in late July of 1806, a few weeks before Lewis and Clark passed through on their way home, and recorded the Hidatsas’ impressions of the Americans’ diplomacy.”

“In 1804–05, when Captains Lewis and Clark wintered near this place, they presented the people with silver medals and flags, the same as they gave to the Mandanes; but the Big Bellies [Hidatsas] pretended to say that these ornaments conveyed bad medicine to them and their children. They are exceedingly superstitious, and, therefore, supposed they could not better dispose of those articles than by giving them to the natives with whom they frequently warred, in hope the ill-luck would be conveyed to them. They were disgusted at the high-sounding language the American captains bestowed upon themselves and their own nation, wishing to impress the Indians with an idea that they were great warriors, and a powerful people who, if exasperated, could crush all the nations of the earth, etc.”

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

02 November 2018 15:11

Cheshire Cat - 02 November 2018 10:53 AM

And I’m trying to piss him off by not getting pissed off.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15614
Joined  17-12-2006

02 November 2018 19:04

Cheshire Cat - 02 November 2018 10:53 AM

Try this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Modest_Proposal

< 1 2 3 4 >