‹ First  < 2 3 4

God blessed them and said to them…

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8526
Joined  20-02-2006

06 November 2018 12:36

Brick Bungalow - 05 November 2018 08:02 AM

Slightly off topic and something we’ve discussed before but I gotta say it.

There is something of a paradox here…. I think. Greater wealth tends to lower the birth rate but the lower birth rate doesn’t help because greater wealth (normally) means far greater consumption of resources.

Poor, over populated areas are tough to look at but ecologically aren’t they less harmful than prosperous, modern ones on balance? How many factory farms and petroleum depots and assembly lines does it take to maintain those nice new sub divisions?

I think birth rate is something of a false issue… or at least of far less import than we imagine. It’s not how many people we have, it’s how many people with a shopping mall lifestyle.

How many people with a shopping mall lifestyle?  https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+consumerism+in+china&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS693US693&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiBis38ycDeAhWKhFQKHe8JC-YQ7Al6BAgGEA0&biw=1361&bih=639#imgrc=kwIT4kiJjclEoM:

When it comes to worldwide consumerism, are we just getting started?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9498
Joined  20-10-2006

20 November 2018 01:23

Skipshot - 03 November 2018 02:28 PM

Sheesh. . .  Trump sent the army to stop the Honduran caravan, which is nothing less than a threat to kill them if they try to enter, since that is what soldiers do.  Soldiers don’t arrest, detain, or deport.

OK, so I was half right.  The soldiers sent to the southern border were not combat soldiers, according to reports, but logistics and construction soldiers meant to beef up the border facilities and spread concertina wire.  The military specifically cited it is not authorized to be armed within the US borders, so I was wrong about that.

I was right about the army not doing law enforcement duties.

But now that the election is over, and the army completed its mission, which was not to stop the migrant caravan but to strengthen the physical security of the border, Trump is sending the military back to the bases from which they came, but before the caravan arrives.  Apparently either we did not read the fine print of Trump’s order to send troops to the border, or he just wanted to use the caravan to make political hay for election.  Trump=1, Me=0. I got fooled by the great deceiver.

[ Edited: 20 November 2018 09:34 by Skipshot]

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  642
Joined  20-07-2017

20 November 2018 05:25

I just heard a news report that, for at least some of them, their mission would last until (at least) Dec. 15.  So, they might be going back to their bases soon, but not quite yet.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3209
Joined  21-10-2016

20 November 2018 05:52

Judge blocks Trump administration from denying asylum claims to immigrants who cross border illegally
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/20/politics/judge-asylum-restrictions/index.html

In an order laced with language accusing President Donald Trump of attempting to rewrite immigration laws, a federal judge based in San Francisco temporarily blocked the government late Monday night from denying asylum to those crossing over the southern border between ports of entry.

Judge Jon S. Tigar of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California said that a policy announced November 9 barring asylum for immigrants who enter outside a legal check point ‘“irreconcilably conflicts” with immigration law and the “expressed intent of Congress.”

“Whatever the scope of the President’s authority, he may not rewrite the immigration laws to impose a condition that Congress has expressly forbidden,” Tigar wrote, adding that asylum seekers would be put at “increased risk of violence and other harms at the border” if the administration’s rule is allowed to go into effect.

It’s encouraging to see that there are still some checks on Trump.

‹ First  < 2 3 4