1 2 > 

2018 World Chess Championships

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6782
Joined  08-12-2006

15 November 2018 15:20

Fabiano Caruana, a 26 year old Italian American, challenges the current world champion, Magnus Carlson, a 27 year old Norwegian, for the title. These are the two highest rated players ever to face off in a World Championship. Game five (of twelve) was played today and resulted in a draw—just like the first four. The first game lasted seven hours and went 115 moves.

The match has had its share of controversy. Fabiano’s teammates at the St. Louis Chess Club posted a video of him preparing for the match—and accidentally included a screenshot of his computer showing all the openings he was preparing for! Asked what he thought of this incident, Fabiano had no comment. In a moment that may go down as one of the funniest in chess history, his opponent said he’d have to see the video, which elicited much hilarity during the press conference. (Edit: skip to the 4:00 mark.)

Then, in today’s game, Woody Harrelson botched the game’s first move. (Apparently, having a celebrity move the first piece is chess’s version of throwing out the first pitch at a baseball game.) Harrelson pretended to accidentally knock over Fabiano’s king as he moved the piece. Ha ha, that’s the way you usually concede defeat, by tipping your king over. But the joke was on Harrelson when Fabiano complained that he’d moved the wrong pawn.

Who says chess isn’t an exciting spectator sport?

[ Edited: 15 November 2018 15:26 by Antisocialdarwinist]

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21692
Joined  11-03-2007

15 November 2018 16:53

Carlsen is brilliant. Should be a good match.  Better London than Bangkok.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

15 November 2018 17:27

Caruana is the first American contender since Bobby Fischer back in the seventies. Although, he does hold dual American-Italian citizenship.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

16 November 2018 15:01

Game six ended in another draw, although Carlson, playing white, had to dig himself out of an unfavorable position. Caruana apparently missed an opportunity on move 68. The excitement just keeps waxing! From The Guardian:

Carlsen and Caruana deadlocked in battle of Mozart and Killah Priest of chess

“I’ve found chess the coolest thing in the world since I was eight years old,” replied Carlsen, laconically, at the press conference. “It’s always been that way.”

Caruana, by his side, was wearing a grey T-shirt and bomber jacket made by Thom Browne, the American designer mainly responsible for the trend for ankle?flashing trousers and too-tight jackets. He is nerdy, sure, but in the style of a Silicon Valley wonk who has just sold his unicorn company to Google. Caruana was then asked, seeing that he was playing “the Mozart of chess”, how would he describe himself? “Well, my musical tastes lie more outside classical music,” he replied, “so I’d probably pick someone in the hip-hop or rock genre.” Right now, Caruana is particularly keen on Kendrick Lamar and Killah Priest.

So, we’ve got the “Mozart of chess” versus the “Killah Priest of chess”. What could be better – indeed cooler – than that? All the elements of great sport are present. Carlsen has experience, Caruana has form. Carlsen thrives on intuition, while Caruana is a brilliant all?rounder, so precise and analytical that his opponent has compared him to a computer. It is also no secret that the pair don’t like each other much: this is thanks in part to Carlsen doing a showboating, finger-to-his?lips shush gesture when he played Caruana in front of the American’s home crowd recently (embarrassingly, the Norwegian didn’t go on to win). And if you wanted a local angle: the showdown was taking place here in the UK, in London.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

18 November 2018 15:56

Game seven also ends in a draw, with Carlson playing white. Five games to go. If they’re still tied after twelve games, the match is decided with a series of “rapid chess” games. Carlson is the heavy favorite in that case. So the pressure is on Caruana to get a win, to prevent the tiebreaker.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

18 November 2018 16:45

Chess games are decided on who makes the first/biggest blunders. A human can’t beat the modern computers, which rarely make major blunders. So the match favors the human who can avoid mistakes and take advantage of the opponent’s screw-ups.

Of course, I’m stuck on Ruy Lopez (pawn to king 4), so what do I know?

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

19 November 2018 11:06

EN - 18 November 2018 04:45 PM

Chess games are decided on who makes the first/biggest blunders. A human can’t beat the modern computers, which rarely make major blunders. So the match favors the human who can avoid mistakes and take advantage of the opponent’s screw-ups.

Sounds like you’re probably at around my skill level. You up for an online game sometime?

Game 8 just ended in another draw, although Caruana, playing white, had a golden, missed opportunity. At least according to the computers.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

21 November 2018 12:19

Game nine ends in another draw. This time it was Magnus Carlsen, playing white, who missed an opportunity on the twenty-fifth move. Perhaps it was due to the injury he suffered during his day off.

Image Attachments

Resize_of_carlsen_injury.jpg

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

21 November 2018 14:43

Antisocialdarwinist - 19 November 2018 11:06 AM

Sounds like you’re probably at around my skill level. You up for an online game sometime?

Game 8 just ended in another draw, although Caruana, playing white, had a golden, missed opportunity. At least according to the computers.

Sure, I’ll let you beat me. Chess is fun.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

21 November 2018 14:44

Antisocialdarwinist - 21 November 2018 12:19 PM

Game nine ends in another draw. This time it was Magnus Carlsen, playing white, who missed an opportunity on the twenty-fifth move. Perhaps it was due to the injury he suffered during his day off.

Chess can be violent.  He was probably dreaming of capturing a queen and the white knight lanced him.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

21 November 2018 18:01

EN - 21 November 2018 02:43 PM

Lichess is free. I have an account there if you want to sign up. Or, if you have an account somewhere else, I can sign up there.

You’ll have to try pretty hard to let me beat you, though.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

22 November 2018 07:45

Antisocialdarwinist - 21 November 2018 06:01 PM
EN - 21 November 2018 02:43 PM

Lichess is free. I have an account there if you want to sign up. Or, if you have an account somewhere else, I can sign up there.

You’ll have to try pretty hard to let me beat you, though.

Sure. I’ll check it out and see if we can play a game.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

22 November 2018 07:52

I signed up. I’m BruceB.  I’ll let you start the game since I’m a newby.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

22 November 2018 09:33

EN - 22 November 2018 07:52 AM

I signed up. I’m BruceB.  I’ll let you start the game since I’m a newby.

Cool! I’m X54. We’ll have to schedule a time to play sometime after Thanksgiving.

They’re playing game 10 now. It’s shaping up to be the best game yet. You can watch it “live” on Lichess. The link is on the left side of the Lichess home page.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Joined  08-12-2006

26 November 2018 07:45

Games 10 and 11 ended in draws. They’re playing game 12—the final regular game—now. Last chance for Caruana, playing white, to get a win. If no winner today, they play “rapid chess” on Wednesday to break the tie. Carlsen is favored in that case.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

26 November 2018 09:50

Antisocialdarwinist - 26 November 2018 07:45 AM

Games 10 and 11 ended in draws. They’re playing game 12—the final regular game—now. Last chance for Caruana, playing white, to get a win. If no winner today, they play “rapid chess” on Wednesday to break the tie. Carlsen is favored in that case.

Very evenly matched.  I thought Carlsen would have taken it by now.

1 2 >