1 2 3 >  Last ›

Have the rich and powerful lost their altruistic instincts?

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Total Posts:  204
Joined  26-07-2013

27 November 2018 13:16

Humans are the most altruistic and good of all the animal species, yet at present, our rich and powerful allow the poorest of us to starve to death by hoarding their wealth. This is unheard of in the animal world.

https://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact-2

Generally speaking, in ancient days the rich and powerful insured that the poor were taken care of to the best of their ability.  In the past, the rank and file demanded that the rich and powerful live up to that good altruistic trait by revolting against them. The French Revolution is a good example of this. Have the rank and file lost their altruistic and good characters by allowing the rich and powerful to let people starve to death while doing nothing?

Are the notions of liberty, equality, and fraternity dead in the world?

Is mankind at the point of losing the altruistic instincts that has made us the greatest animal that the world has ever produced?

Regards
DL

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  31-10-2015

27 November 2018 14:58

Greatest I am - 27 November 2018 01:16 PM

Humans are the most altruistic and good of all the animal species, yet at present, our rich and powerful allow the poorest of us to starve to death by hoarding their wealth. This is unheard of in the animal world.

https://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact-2

Generally speaking, in ancient days the rich and powerful insured that the poor were taken care of to the best of their ability.  In the past, the rank and file demanded that the rich and powerful live up to that good altruistic trait by revolting against them. The French Revolution is a good example of this. Have the rank and file lost their altruistic and good characters by allowing the rich and powerful to let people starve to death while doing nothing?

Is mankind at the point of losing the altruistic instincts that has made us the greatest animal that the world has ever produced?

Regards
DL

Are you sure such a reversal has happened? Some wealthy people today help the poor, and some don’t. Hasn’t it always been so? Is your opinion intuitive, or in some way statistically generated?

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1182
Joined  01-11-2014

28 November 2018 07:53

Isn’t it a pity?

https://tinyurl.com/ybtklk9d

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21063
Joined  11-03-2007

28 November 2018 10:29

Bill and Melinda Gates haven’t lost their altruistic instincts.  Some of the others may have never had them - which is why they got rich.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8266
Joined  20-02-2006

28 November 2018 11:38

EN - 28 November 2018 10:29 AM

Bill and Melinda Gates haven’t lost their altruistic instincts.  Some of the others may have never had them - which is why they got rich.

https://www.msnbc.com/morning-joe/watch/new-documentary-digs-into-the-panama-papers-1382672451637?v=raila&

“Director Alex Winter discusses the new documentary ‘The Panama Papers,’ which looks at the collection of documents exposing the ways in which companies committed tax fraud and money laundering.”  -  Nov. 28, 2018

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

29 November 2018 15:56

nonverbal - 27 November 2018 02:58 PM

Regards
DL

Are you sure such a reversal has happened? Some wealthy people today help the poor, and some don’t. Hasn’t it always been so? Is your opinion intuitive, or in some way statistically generated?

That graph is statistical and shows a system that is likely as skewed as it can get for the rich at the cost of the rest of us.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

29 November 2018 15:57

Are you talking of their tax haven foundations?

Regards
DL

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

29 November 2018 16:20

Greatest I am - 29 November 2018 03:57 PM

Regards
DL

I’m talking about the billions they have given to help people.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1549
Joined  31-10-2015

30 November 2018 04:24

Greatest I am - 29 November 2018 03:56 PM

Regards
DL

That graph is statistical and shows a system that is likely as skewed as it can get for the rich at the cost of the rest of us.

Regards
DL

I didn’t mean that the video lacked graphic display, but that your OP asks a specific question that the video doesn’t address.

In your OP, you imply that rich/powerful people have become instinctually less altruistic. (paragraph 1) You go on to imply that “rank-and-file” poor, whatever that might be, historically need to violently remind the rich/powerful that the rich are actually too altruistic to allow whatever status quo happens to be in place. Then you return to rank-and-file poor to imply that they, too, have lost their altruistic sensibility. The graphics in the video don’t seem to support any of this.

I’m not someone who seeks to continue the current situation as described by the narrator of the video. I’m just trying to understand your points.

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

30 November 2018 09:02

EN - 29 November 2018 04:20 PM

Regards
DL

A small % of what they take in.

How many billions did Trump just take out of the ranks to feed his rich buddies?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Greatest I am
Joined  26-07-2013

30 November 2018 09:06

nonverbal - 30 November 2018 04:24 AM
Greatest I am - 29 November 2018 03:56 PM

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

I didn’t mean that the video lacked graphic display, but that your OP asks a specific question that the video doesn’t address.

In your OP, you imply that rich/powerful people have become instinctually less altruistic. (paragraph 1) You go on to imply that “rank-and-file” poor, whatever that might be, historically need to violently remind the rich/powerful that the rich are actually too altruistic to allow whatever status quo happens to be in place. Then you return to rank-and-file poor to imply that they, too, have lost their altruistic sensibility. The graphics in the video don’t seem to support any of this.

I’m not someone who seeks to continue the current situation as described by the narrator of the video. I’m just trying to understand your points.

My point is quite simple.

The graph I put in the O.P. is immoral and needs to be adjusted to where the inequality that most economists are railing against is brought to a more moral position.

The rich now own the vast majority of the full wealth of the world. They will soon own it all and that trend must be stopped and reversed.

Regards
DL

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8266
Joined  20-02-2006

30 November 2018 10:57

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-biggest-reason-americas-rich-keep-getting-richer-and-youre-not-2018-08-16

Q:  Why did a billionaire con man get elected president by the proletariat and not Bernie Sanders?

con man - a man who cheats or tricks someone by gaining their trust and persuading them to believe something that is not true.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1182
Joined  01-11-2014

30 November 2018 10:57

This is disturbing.

From an article from the Fortune Magazine website, entitled:
The World’s 8 Richest Men Are Now as Wealthy as Half the World’s Population

It is a retelling of the findings from a report gathered by the organization OXFAM in January 2017.

According to the article:

Just eight individuals, all men, own as much wealth as the poorest half of the world’s population, Oxfam said on Monday in a report calling for action to curtail rewards for those at the top.

Oxfam, which described the gap as “obscene,” said if the new data had been available before, it would have shown that in 2016 nine people owned the same as the 3.6 billion who make up the poorest half of humanity, rather than 62 estimated at the time.

In 2010, by comparison, it took the combined assets of the 43 richest people to equal the wealth of the poorest 50%, according to the latest calculations.

Oxfam called in its report for a crackdown on tax dodging and a shift away from “super-charged” shareholder capitalism that pays out disproportionately to the rich.

While many workers struggle with stagnating incomes, the wealth of the super-rich has increased by an average of 11% a year since 2009.

The system is rigged and wealth is concentrating into fewer and fewer hands.

http://fortune.com/2017/01/16/world-richest-men-income-equality/

https://www.oxfam.org/en/research/economy-99

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

30 November 2018 12:54

Greatest I am - 30 November 2018 09:02 AM

How many billions did Trump just take out of the ranks to feed his rich buddies?

https://www.reference.com/business-finance/much-money-bill-gates-given-charity-dd0a08614498c6f6

“As of October 2014, Bill and Melinda Gates have donated $30.2 billion, 37 percent of their wealth, to various charitable causes, mostly through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. In 2013 alone, the couple donated $2.65 billion for disease eradication, education reform and other programs.

In 2014, Forbes magazine named the Gateses as the most philanthropic Americans. Bill Gates’ net worth as of December 2014 was $81.6 billion.” 

Furthermore, Gates has promised to give away 50% of his remaining wealth at his death.

As for Trump, he is a psychopath who never had an altruistic nature to lose in the first place.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6705
Joined  15-02-2007

30 November 2018 16:04

EN - 30 November 2018 12:54 PM
Greatest I am - 30 November 2018 09:02 AM

https://www.reference.com/business-finance/much-money-bill-gates-given-charity-dd0a08614498c6f6

“As of October 2014, Bill and Melinda Gates have donated $30.2 billion, 37 percent of their wealth, to various charitable causes, mostly through the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. In 2013 alone, the couple donated $2.65 billion for disease eradication, education reform and other programs.

In 2014, Forbes magazine named the Gateses as the most philanthropic Americans. Bill Gates’ net worth as of December 2014 was $81.6 billion.” 

Furthermore, Gates has promised to give away 50% of his remaining wealth at his death.

As for Trump, he is a psychopath who never had an altruistic nature to lose in the first place.

Check out https://givingpledge.org/

There are quite a few ‘rich folks’ who’ve pledged to use their wealth in philanthropic endeavors.

Additionally, it would be nice if those wealthy folks who continue to tear down infrastructure - that helps folks to help themselves out of poverty - would learn to recognize the commerce potential for a populace with excess money to spend IMHO.

[ Edited: 30 November 2018 16:06 by Jefe]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9324
Joined  20-10-2006

01 December 2018 07:42

Cheshire Cat - 30 November 2018 10:57 AM

This is disturbing.

From an article from the Fortune Magazine website, entitled:
The World’s 8 Richest Men Are Now as Wealthy as Half the World’s Population

It is a retelling of the findings from a report gathered by the organization OXFAM in January 2017.

According to the article:

Just eight individuals, all men, own as much wealth as the poorest half of the world’s population, Oxfam said on Monday in a report calling for action to curtail rewards for those at the top.

Oxfam, which described the gap as “obscene,” said if the new data had been available before, it would have shown that in 2016 nine people owned the same as the 3.6 billion who make up the poorest half of humanity, rather than 62 estimated at the time.

In 2010, by comparison, it took the combined assets of the 43 richest people to equal the wealth of the poorest 50%, according to the latest calculations.

Oxfam called in its report for a crackdown on tax dodging and a shift away from “super-charged” shareholder capitalism that pays out disproportionately to the rich.

While many workers struggle with stagnating incomes, the wealth of the super-rich has increased by an average of 11% a year since 2009.

The system is rigged and wealth is concentrating into fewer and fewer hands.

http://fortune.com/2017/01/16/world-richest-men-income-equality/

https://www.oxfam.org/en/research/economy-99

The old “rich getting richer” routine.  Yep, and the people have ignored it and bought into Trickle Down Economics and fear of minorities to encourage giving more to the rich.  Give more money to the rich and the Reich will give you a job and protect you from the scary Black/Mexican/Muslim/non-white/non-Christian people.  The election of Trump is my evidence.  The rich take the money and give lip service to jobs and assuaging fears.

“If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he’ll empty his pockets for you.”  President Lyndon Johnson

1 2 3 >  Last ›