Fear by Bob Woodward

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6979
Joined  15-05-2009

29 November 2018 08:09

Out of all the Trump-inspired books published recently, I decided to read Fear because it was written by Bob Woodward, who is a well-respected investigator.  Either Woodward is making stuff up, or he has heard from very high-placed sources in the West Wing, including cabinet members and top aides.  The book details the conversations—usually arguments—that have led up to decisions, and thwarted decisions. in the Administration’s first year-and-a-half. 

The picture that emerges is one of a staff working at cross-purposes, frustrated and angry.  Many of his own appointees do not respect him.  Some of key figures—Rob Porter (former WH staff secretary) and Gary Cohn (former NEC director) have protested that the book is “a selective and misleading portrait.”  But maybe they are trying to save their skins…who knows?

In a way, the book has helped me.  It confirmed that Trump is unpredictable and a liar.  So I no longer feel so compelled to catch up on his declarations daily.  They are most often just angry spouting and may be reversed, disavowed, or forgotten the next day.  I’ve moved on to the perspective of being more than half-way through the Trump term, that is, over the hump.  Looking forward to 2020.

Has anyone else read Fear, or other books on Trump?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6565
Joined  15-02-2007

29 November 2018 08:26

I have exactly zero interest in books about him.  Haven’t ready any.  Likely won’t.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  20846
Joined  11-03-2007

29 November 2018 08:29

hannahtoo - 29 November 2018 08:09 AM

Out of all the Trump-inspired books published recently, I decided to read Fear because it was written by Bob Woodward, who is a well-respected investigator.  Either Woodward is making stuff up, or he has heard from very high-placed sources in the West Wing, including cabinet members and top aides.  The book details the conversations—usually arguments—that have led up to decisions, and thwarted decisions. in the Administration’s first year-and-a-half. 

The picture that emerges is one of a staff working at cross-purposes, frustrated and angry.  Many of his own appointees do not respect him.  Some of key figures—Rob Porter (former WH staff secretary) and Gary Cohn (former NEC director) have protested that the book is “a selective and misleading portrait.”  But maybe they are trying to save their skins…who knows?

In a way, the book has helped me.  It confirmed that Trump is unpredictable and a liar.  So I no longer feel so compelled to catch up on his declarations daily.  They are most often just angry spouting and may be reversed, disavowed, or forgotten the next day.  I’ve moved on to the perspective of being more than half-way through the Trump term, that is, over the hump.  Looking forward to 2020.

Has anyone else read Fear, or other books on Trump?

Actually, the “hump” comes on January 21, 2019, unless he is impeached and convicted, which is unlikely (as far as the conviction part), or dies in office.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8044
Joined  20-02-2006

29 November 2018 12:10

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/books/review-fear-trump-in-white-house-bob-woodward.html

quoting one small paragraph from this New York Times review:  “Trump is quoted saying feckless things like, about the war in Afghanistan, “You should be killing guys. You don’t need a strategy to kill people.”

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  6979
Joined  15-05-2009

29 November 2018 16:44

unsmoked - 29 November 2018 12:10 PM

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/books/review-fear-trump-in-white-house-bob-woodward.html

quoting one small paragraph from this New York Times review:  “Trump is quoted saying feckless things like, about the war in Afghanistan, “You should be killing guys. You don’t need a strategy to kill people.”

He says stupid untrue things every day.  Nobody really needs to make stuff up because Trump provides ample evidence in his tweets and speeches.  He angered many people, including key Republicans in the Senate, when he came out equating “violence on both sides” of the Charlottesville events in August of 2017.  His staff finally convinced him that he should make a strong statement against the White Nationalists, and he made a teleprompter speech to this effect.  However, the next day, he was back to decrying the taking down the statue of Robert E Lee and talking about fine people and bad people on both sides.  David Duke, the former Ku Klux Klan leader thanked him.  The leaders of each branch of the US military spoke out against Trump and heavy hitters of American Manufacturing Council and Strategic and Policy Forum also objected.  Trump disbanded the groups.  But Trump insisted he’d said nothing wrong and meant what he said. 

Really, believing his words is foolish at this point.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  4929
Joined  28-05-2009

02 December 2018 19:07

All the insider reports concur with what ordinary observation suggests. Trump has zero leadership. Depressing considering the stakes but hardly a bombshell.