Multinational corporations (Oligarchs) control over the 3rd world

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6998
Joined  22-02-2014

02 December 2018 08:55

The link below is a video of a discussion on the “UN Global Compact for Migration”. In this thread I want to focus on a claim made a little over 2 minutes into the video:

claim 1: “In 3rd world countries, multinationals dictate the rules.”

For my purposes, I’m going to put multinational corporations and oligarchs into the same bucket, and call them all oligarchs. Claim 1 (oligarchs run the 3rd world), strikes me as a very powerful idea. I mostly agree with it (and I acknowledge my anti-oligarch bias wink  ).  And once I take this claim as a starting point, all sorts of things fall into place:

- It’s easier to rule weakened populations than strong ones.
- Western countries weakened by mass immigration will be easier for oligarchs to control (even more than they do now).
- Much of the infighting we see between moderates and liberals might be explained if we can conclude that liberal claims of “horrible western interventions” and such are attributed to boogey men like “capitalism”, or “the patriarchy”, or “racism”, or “xenophobia”, when in fact the more important culprits are the oligarchs.
- Maybe, just maybe, calls for multiculturalism and “migration as a human right” are bolstered by the confusion stated above?

I guess the claim I’m trying to get at here is that we should defend secularism and democracy and western values to the death, we should NOT accept that oligarchy is the inevitable outcome of those good ideas, and we should shift most of the blame that liberals put on western society to where it rightly belongs, on the oligarchs.

UN on migration

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  536
Joined  20-07-2017

02 December 2018 13:11

How/why do you differentiate attacks on capitalism from the left, and attacks on the oligarchy from the same orientation? (Bullet three)

For example, I viewed the criticisms of “capitalism” raised by (parts of) the occupy movement to be criticisms of the oligarchy.

[ Edited: 02 December 2018 14:40 by mapadofu]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6998
Joined  22-02-2014

02 December 2018 16:41

mapadofu - 02 December 2018 01:11 PM

How/why do you differentiate attacks on capitalism from the left, and attacks on the oligarchy from the same orientation? (Bullet three)

For example, I viewed the criticisms of “capitalism” raised by (parts of) the occupy movement to be criticisms of the oligarchy.

My take is that the occupy movement was really targeting oiigarchs, they just didn’t know it or weren’t clear on that point. I think they were attacking the fact that our democracy and economy have been hijacked by the oligarchs. I think if we’d kept common sense reins on our capitalism we wouldn’t have seen “occupy” in the first place.