Does the “UN Global Compact for Migration” attack free speech?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  6998
Joined  22-02-2014

02 December 2018 09:03

In the video below (the same video I linked to in the “mutlinationals - 3rd world” thread), within the first couple of minutes, the speaker claims that this UN Compact calls for criticism of migration policy to be classified as hate speech. If this claim is correct, I’d say it’s pretty horrifying. I believe the speaker is referring to the following paragraph from the compact:

Promote independent, objective and quality reporting of media outlets, including internet based information, including by sensitizing and educating media professionals on migration-related issues and terminology, investing in ethical reporting standards and advertising, and stopping allocation of public funding or material support to media outlets that systematically promote intolerance, xenophobia, racism and other forms of discrimination towards migrants, in full respect for the freedom of the media

I think the paragraph is deliberately vague, but that it could easily be seen as a move towards normalizing the idea that criticism is “hate speech” and that society should make such “hate speech” illegal.

UN Compact on Migration

mapadofu

mapadofu
Total Posts:  536
Joined  20-07-2017

02 December 2018 11:34

The speaker is not from the UN or speaking on their behalf.  I’m not convinced that he is providing a true representation of the sentiment of that body.

Read strictly, the quoted passage only deals with
discouraging the allocation of /public/ funds towards dissemination of systematically racist speech.  Whether this occurs, indeed whether some kind of ban on pro-immigrants on or anti-immigration speech occurs, will end up being decided by the member nations, not the UN as a body.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

02 December 2018 16:45

mapadofu - 02 December 2018 11:34 AM

The speaker is not from the UN or speaking on their behalf.  I’m not convinced that he is providing a true representation of the sentiment of that body.

Read strictly, the quoted passage only deals with
discouraging the allocation of /public/ funds towards dissemination of systematically racist speech.  Whether this occurs, indeed whether some kind of ban on pro-immigrants on or anti-immigration speech occurs, will end up being decided by the member nations, not the UN as a body.

The speaker is clearly opposed to this measure.

The passage mentions intolerance, xenophobia, racism and other forms of discrimination against migrants. Who will be the judge of whether a newspaper article is xenophobic or intolerant? Who will provide “education on migrant-related issues”? This sounds very Orwellian to me.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

02 December 2018 18:10

I figure it will be up to the member nations.

[ Edited: 02 December 2018 18:12 by mapadofu]

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

02 December 2018 18:20

mapadofu - 02 December 2018 06:10 PM

I figure it will be up to the member nations.

Ok, Orwellian on a more regional basis.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

03 December 2018 12:13

Yeah, governments restricting speech about immigration is pretty bad.