#144- Conquering Hate A Conversation with Deeyah Khan

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6511
Joined  22-02-2005

07 December 2018 13:13

In this episode of the Waking Up podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Deeyah Khan about her work interviewing extremists as a documentary filmmaker.

#144- Conquering Hate A Conversation with Deeyah Khan

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

Vegard

Vegard
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-12-2018

07 December 2018 20:17

After listening to this episode i went on Netflix and discovered that neither of the two recommended documentaries are available in Norway. shut eye

eliziem

eliziem
Total Posts:  1
Joined  09-12-2018

09 December 2018 17:39

What a wise, articulate and inspirational woman. Thanks!

RedSeed

RedSeed
Total Posts:  48
Joined  24-01-2017

11 December 2018 10:21

She is awesome. I saw White Right and it really is crazy how these people crumbled around her. They were dedicated, organising their whole lives around these extreme beliefs and unbeknownst to them they were always just one pretty, articulate non-white girl taking an interest in them away from coming back to reality. Makes you realise how important dialogue and genuine interaction between groups is to squashing prejudice. Although I don’t know if it’d work on everyone!

edgecumbe

edgecumbe
Total Posts:  10
Joined  29-09-2017

11 December 2018 15:17

I really enjoyed this conversation though sadly Netflix does carry either of these shows in my country.

I was hopeful that Deeyah would finally debunk Sam’s continual citing of the “0% of UK Muslims think homosexuality is acceptable” stat. It isn’t an exaggeration to say that this is one of Sam’s favourite pieces of data, he’s used it in at least 4 episodes this year. I think it is very dodgy though. It appears to be based on a smallish survey back in 2009.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

More recent comparable data suggests this is an overstatement and that though there is still widespread intolerance, Muslims don’t differ too much from some other religious communities.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

Hopefully the dinner parties will offer a broader perspective!

molito

molito
Total Posts:  3
Joined  01-12-2018

13 December 2018 01:27

If this woman does not represent the way forward, then I don’t know what does.

CyberBeachToy

CyberBeachToy
Total Posts:  9
Joined  19-07-2017

16 December 2018 15:42

I’m getting a bit worried with Sam’s obsession that the word “racist” is being overused.
He’s clearly not lived in Georgia or Texas, if he had he would understand that there is, in fact, a LOT of people in this country that don’t like black people.
A lot of people that don’t want immigration of anyboy who is not white.

They are NOT interested in a nuanced conversation of the details of immigration policy and defensible borders.

They don’t want Mexicans coming here because they are Mexicans.  They don’t want blacks to vote because they don’t like blacks.

There are enough people like that in this country that Trump’s approval rating never falls below about 44% or so.

I understand his point about somebody wanting to talk about immigration in a rational way being labeled as a racist immediately, but he sorely underestimates the number of people who have no interest in having that conversation.

There is not some great contingent of people who are waiting for some unicorn on the left who wants to discuss the pros and cons of immigration policy, they just really don’t give a fuck and that is the reason that person is supporting Trump.  The idea that there is this large group of people supporting Trump because they can’t find such a voice on the left is ridiculous.

CyberBeachToy

CyberBeachToy
Joined  19-07-2017

16 December 2018 15:42

I forgot to say. This was a great podcast !

CyberBeachToy

CyberBeachToy
Joined  19-07-2017

16 December 2018 15:47

edgecumbe - 11 December 2018 03:17 PM

I really enjoyed this conversation though sadly Netflix does carry either of these shows in my country.

I was hopeful that Deeyah would finally debunk Sam’s continual citing of the “0% of UK Muslims think homosexuality is acceptable” stat. It isn’t an exaggeration to say that this is one of Sam’s favourite pieces of data, he’s used it in at least 4 episodes this year. I think it is very dodgy though. It appears to be based on a smallish survey back in 2009.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/may/07/muslims-britain-france-germany-homosexuality

More recent comparable data suggests this is an overstatement and that though there is still widespread intolerance, Muslims don’t differ too much from some other religious communities.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

Hopefully the dinner parties will offer a broader perspective!

Nearly a quarter (23%) supported the introduction of sharia law in some areas of Britain, and 39% agreed that “wives should always obey their husbands”, compared with 5% of the country as a whole. Two-thirds (66%) said they completely condemned people who took part in stoning adulterers, and a further 13% condemned them to some extent. Nearly a third (31%) thought it was acceptable for a British Muslim man to have more than one wife, compared with 8% of the wider population

Those are frightening statistics… However I do think that you would see such stats in any high religious community.  It would be quite interesting to take such a survey in Utah, for example…