EN
Total Posts:  21959
Joined  11-03-2007

10 December 2018 18:48

nonverbal - 10 December 2018 06:32 PM
EN - 10 December 2018 06:00 PM
nonverbal - 10 December 2018 12:06 PM
EN - 10 December 2018 11:43 AM

3. Women seek physical protection from a man. Men seek physical support from a woman.

Not sure what this means, so not sure I agree.  Men would like physical contact, to be sure. But “support” - does that mean washing the dishes or something else?

Okay, let’s take you, Bruce. How much do you rely on your wife to physically support you? My best guess is that you’re fully able and willing to carry out any common household task that comes your way. Am I correct?

I’m basically self-sufficient.  That’s why “physical support” is confusing to me.

How many of your male neighbors are as self-sufficient as you?

Well, I do see a lot of men at WalMart and at the hospital whose wives are leading them around.  That was never a situation I wanted to be in or wished for.  When I see it I want to kick the men in the ass.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3494
Joined  21-10-2016

10 December 2018 19:15

GAD - 10 December 2018 06:36 PM
Jan_CAN - 10 December 2018 10:21 AM

Perhaps it’s just that men are simple and women more complex.

Yes. When a man “sees” a hot woman his natural thought is hot sex, not how to woo her, court her, plan their wedding, number of children, how he will work to provide for her, come home and she’ll have the house clean and dinner ready, tuck the children in bed with a story and then drift asleep thinking about how they will be together through old age until death do them part, he just wanted hot sex for gods sake not an 80 year plan, that evolves in tiny pieces over the course of much more hot sex, maybe, or until it’s ruined by a baby.

In cropping my post I think you left out the best bit, and missed the point.  Which was who/what initially turns women on, not about looking for a permanent mate.
(But your description of the 80-year-plan is somewhat amusing.)

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  31-10-2015

10 December 2018 19:25

Jan_CAN - 10 December 2018 02:07 PM
nonverbal - 10 December 2018 12:04 PM
nonverbal - 09 December 2018 04:50 PM

4. Both men and women seem to have an eye for visual beauty, but men have it more persistently than women do.

5. Women seem more flexible in their attractions to men’s physiques than men are with women’s.

Perhaps it’s just that men are simple and women more complex.  An individual woman might be simultaneously turned on by such men as:  Sean Connery and Norman Reedus ... Brad Pitt and James Gandolfini ... Denzel Washington, Colin Farrell and Kit Harington ...  As there is no man alive who embodies ALL of these qualities, we just have to make do.  grin

Simple/complex how, cognitively or emotionally speaking?

I guess I’m speaking more about emotionally, instinctually.  (As I’m sure you’re aware, I was being a little facetious in that last post.)  However, I think I could pick out a photo of a woman that most men would find attractive; it would be more difficult to pick out such a photo for women.  It seems to me that many men are trying to figure out what women want; perhaps sometimes we don’t know.  We just know it when we feel it.

Men do seem to be emotionally different from women, and I can see that the difference amounts to some “better than” perceptions. I won’t argue against such a perception other than to cast mild doubt on it in the way I doubt any other abstract evaluation. That is, my feeling is that you’re correct, but I habitually evade my feelings unless they’re anchored in certain ways. Difficult t explain.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5291
Joined  28-05-2009

10 December 2018 19:41

3. Women seek physical protection from a man. Men seek physical support from a woman.

Not sure what this means, so not sure I agree.  Men would like physical contact, to be sure. But “support” - does that mean washing the dishes or something else?

Quite a few men I know were very reliant on their mothers growing up and never really developed the ability to maintain a wardrobe, household, personal schedule et cetera opting instead to marry at a young age to a woman who was willing to coordinate all these details.

One potential interpretation.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

10 December 2018 19:43

nonverbal - 10 December 2018 07:25 PM
Jan_CAN - 10 December 2018 02:07 PM
nonverbal - 10 December 2018 12:04 PM
nonverbal - 09 December 2018 04:50 PM

4. Both men and women seem to have an eye for visual beauty, but men have it more persistently than women do.

5. Women seem more flexible in their attractions to men’s physiques than men are with women’s.

Perhaps it’s just that men are simple and women more complex.  An individual woman might be simultaneously turned on by such men as:  Sean Connery and Norman Reedus ... Brad Pitt and James Gandolfini ... Denzel Washington, Colin Farrell and Kit Harington ...  As there is no man alive who embodies ALL of these qualities, we just have to make do.  grin

Simple/complex how, cognitively or emotionally speaking?

I guess I’m speaking more about emotionally, instinctually.  (As I’m sure you’re aware, I was being a little facetious in that last post.)  However, I think I could pick out a photo of a woman that most men would find attractive; it would be more difficult to pick out such a photo for women.  It seems to me that many men are trying to figure out what women want; perhaps sometimes we don’t know.  We just know it when we feel it.

Men do seem to be emotionally different from women, and I can see that the difference amounts to some “better than” perceptions. I won’t argue against such a perception other than to cast mild doubt on it in the way I doubt any other abstract evaluation. That is, my feeling is that you’re correct, but I habitually evade my feelings unless they’re anchored in certain ways. Difficult t explain.

nv, to be clear, I didn’t mean that one was better than the other.  I was just reiterating what you seemed to be saying in the OP (#4 & #5), that women tend to be attracted by a wider variety of types/qualities.  Yes, it is difficult to explain.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

10 December 2018 20:11

Women don’t need men to protect them from mammoths anymore, but they sure come in handy when trying to open one of those new Welch grape juice bottles that for the life of me I can’t open.

I think both men and women appreciate some physical (and emotional) support now and again.  Someone to lean on, look after us, and have our backs when we’re not at our best or strongest.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6510
Joined  22-02-2005

10 December 2018 22:24

GAD - 10 December 2018 04:17 PM
Nhoj Morley - 10 December 2018 11:15 AM
GAD - 09 December 2018 11:04 PM

I’m always polite, unless you take being honest and direct as impolite.

No, but we do take taking the tenor of one’s posting for granted as impolite. It is not honest and direct to say that your posts of late have simply been honest and direct. Other adjectives have been heard. If we don’t share your perceptions, we cannot share your perception of your perceptions either.

If I think someones view is wrong I say so, no PC bullshit, that is being honest and direct about my feeling of their views.

Shirley that myopic explanation isn’t gonna fly with anyone. You are plainly angry and frustrated with things and we are here for you. Show a little gratitude. Excuses like ‘PC bullshit’ are crap. “Tis not a good reason to be rude.

Try the power of argument.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17990
Joined  15-02-2008

10 December 2018 23:18

Nhoj Morley - 10 December 2018 10:24 PM
GAD - 10 December 2018 04:17 PM
Nhoj Morley - 10 December 2018 11:15 AM
GAD - 09 December 2018 11:04 PM

I’m always polite, unless you take being honest and direct as impolite.

No, but we do take taking the tenor of one’s posting for granted as impolite. It is not honest and direct to say that your posts of late have simply been honest and direct. Other adjectives have been heard. If we don’t share your perceptions, we cannot share your perception of your perceptions either.

If I think someones view is wrong I say so, no PC bullshit, that is being honest and direct about my feeling of their views.

Shirley that myopic explanation isn’t gonna fly with anyone. You are plainly angry and frustrated with things and we are here for you. Show a little gratitude. Excuses like ‘PC bullshit’ are crap. “Tis not a good reason to be rude.

Try the power of argument.

I am not in the least angry or frustrated, that is your (and others) projection to make yourselves feel better.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1900
Joined  31-10-2015

11 December 2018 06:29

Jan_CAN, to EN - 10 December 2018 08:11 PM

Women don’t need men to protect them from mammoths anymore, but they sure come in handy when trying to open one of those new Welch grape juice bottles that for the life of me I can’t open.

I think both men and women appreciate some physical (and emotional) support now and again.  Someone to lean on, look after us, and have our backs when we’re not at our best or strongest.

Ha ha—I’ll bet EN could help you, but you wouldn’t get much muscle assistance from me, Jan. Most of my key joints have gradually become poor performers, and I need to rely on devices such as these:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_7?url=search-alias=garden&field-keywords=cap+opener+grip&sprefix=cap+ope,stripbooks,188&crid=W1A6CMTS8OMY

Now that I look them over, I think I’ll order one or two new ones. Some clever designs these days. I get Costco grape juice, which also comes in bottles with super tight caps.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6461
Joined  31-01-2012

11 December 2018 16:14

I find preferences in types a little foreign. I imagine I have some patterns, but my sexual attractions have always been mood dependent based on something else going on in my life that probably wasn’t even registering. For example,  for several months I may be highly attracted to big girls. Short girls, old girls, all colors and shapes, big boobs, small boobs, even buck teeth, for a little while Africa chicks with a front teeth gap. Once I was really into goth, fundy Muslim and Indian broads. Gingers. Hard to get; easy to get. I could go on.

< 1 2