Total Posts:  582
Joined  20-07-2017

10 December 2018 07:21
Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5000
Joined  28-05-2009

10 December 2018 20:10

There is a particular cabal in both major parties that has no regard for the founding principles (or indeed any discernible principle) I don’t like saying ‘Republicans’ because I know plenty of decent citizens who identify this way are as critical of the current debacle as I am. That said, yes. Large factions of the GOP are manifestly lawless and megalomaniacal. Trump for sure. I would point at the Senate but with the caveat that both parties have escalated the general failure to abide by procedure and principle and the escalating enmity at the root is the responsibility of both in that case.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17329
Joined  15-02-2008

10 December 2018 21:32

They might be douche bags but I’m not aware that they broke any laws of democracy.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2619
Joined  19-01-2015

11 December 2018 00:08

GAD - 10 December 2018 09:32 PM

They might be douche bags but I’m not aware that they broke any laws of democracy.

You can democratically decide to abandon democracy - which makes you anti-democratic, even if you follow the rules.
Republicans are clearly abolishing the principles of representation and transition of power by gerrymandering districts and taking powers away from an incoming Democratic Governor.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 December 2018 00:16

Twissel - 11 December 2018 12:08 AM

You can democratically decide to abandon democracy - which makes you anti-democratic, even if you follow the rules.
Republicans are clearly abolishing the principles of representation and transition of power by gerrymandering districts and taking powers away from an incoming Democratic Governor.

I do believe have done the same (it’s a fact on gerrymandering).

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2619
Joined  19-01-2015

11 December 2018 00:45

GAD - 11 December 2018 12:16 AM

How would that be relevant to the OP?
Is anyone absolved from working to maintain the democratic principles of a society because some are not doing so?

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

11 December 2018 04:36

So when exactly have the Democrats held a lame duck legislative session to gut an incoming administration?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 December 2018 07:17

Twissel - 11 December 2018 12:45 AM
GAD - 11 December 2018 12:16 AM

How would that be relevant to the OP?
Is anyone absolved from working to maintain the democratic principles of a society because some are not doing so?

How is it not? Unless you believe it only applies to Republicans. I’m absolving nothing, just pointing out the both sides do it.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 December 2018 07:20

mapadofu - 11 December 2018 04:36 AM

So when exactly have the Democrats held a lame duck legislative session to gut an incoming administration?

Don’t know, but I’m sure if you looked that they have done it just the same, unless you think Democrats are somehow special and above everyone else.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7267
Joined  22-02-2014

11 December 2018 08:02

We either very close to being an oligarchy, or we already are one. I tend to believe the GOP is slightly worse than the Dems, but we should all stop the infighting, band together, and attack our common enemy - the one that really will bring us down.

The oligarchy is our common enemy. The oligarchs love it when we get distracted by partisan politics.

Gone

Gone
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-01-2019

05 January 2019 03:25

From outside of the USA the actions of the Executive Branch tell us Americans are suffering a delusion they live in a full democracy. Actions taken by President Trump tell us the constitution places far, far too much power with the Whitehouse.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6578
Joined  08-12-2006

05 January 2019 10:41

Dissily Mordentroge - 05 January 2019 03:25 AM

From outside of the USA the actions of the Executive Branch tell us Americans are suffering a delusion they live in a full democracy. Actions taken by President Trump tell us the constitution places far, far too much power with the Whitehouse.

That’s not a problem with the constitution per-se, but with the legislative branch gradually ceding more and more power to the executive branch over the years. But actually, it’s almost meaningless to talk about the “checks and balances” of the three branches of government anymore. Is there any question that the democrats in all three branches are in lockstep with each other? And the same for the republicans? Sadly, this situation extends to the so-called “fourth estate” now, too.

In my opinion, no truly patriotic American would ever belong to either party. The republican and democrat parties are homes for partisan hacks and useful idiots.

mapadofu

mapadofu
Joined  20-07-2017

05 January 2019 14:19

I have a lot of questions about how “in lockstep” the Democrats are; less so with the Republicans who seem to have better discipline.

Gone

Gone
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-01-2019

05 January 2019 15:10

Antisocialdarwinist - 05 January 2019 10:41 AM
Dissily Mordentroge - 05 January 2019 03:25 AM

That’s not a problem with the constitution per-se, but with the legislative branch gradually ceding more and more power to the executive branch over the years. But actually, it’s almost meaningless to talk about the “checks and balances” of the three branches of government anymore. Is there any question that the democrats in all three branches are in lockstep with each other? And the same for the republicans? Sadly, this situation extends to the so-called “fourth estate” now, too.

In my opinion, no truly patriotic American would ever belong to either party. The republican and democrat parties are homes for partisan hacks and useful idiots.

I agree but ‘useful idiots’?
Maybe I need to read up on the US Constitution but my impression was the Executive Branch had in place an absurd range of powers not noticed by many until someone like Trump comes along and consistently abuses them.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6578
Joined  08-12-2006

06 January 2019 10:32

Dissily Mordentroge - 05 January 2019 03:10 PM

Maybe I need to read up on the US Constitution but my impression was the Executive Branch had in place an absurd range of powers not noticed by many until someone like Trump comes along and consistently abuses them.

Here’s one example, of the legislative branch ceding its power to go to war to the executive:

Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the U.S. Constitution grants Congress the power to declare war. The President, meanwhile, derives the power to direct the military after a Congressional declaration of war from Article II, Section 2, which names the President Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces. These provisions require cooperation between the President and Congress regarding military affairs, with Congress funding or declaring the operation and the President directing it.

According to the Constitution, Congress—not the president—has the power to declare war. And yet, the last declared war was WWII. So how did we end up in wars with Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan?

After the Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon Administrations had spent nearly a decade committing U.S. troops to Southeast Asia without Congressional approval, Congress responded by passing the War Powers Resolution in 1973.

Read the rest here.

Garret

Garret
Total Posts:  189
Joined  16-01-2019

20 January 2019 13:40

mapadofu - 05 January 2019 02:19 PM

I have a lot of questions about how “in lockstep” the Democrats are; less so with the Republicans who seem to have better discipline.

I am not a member of any organized political party.  I am a Democrat. - Will Rogers

1 2 >