1 2 > 

RELIGION IS INEVITABLE. EVERYONE IS RELIGIOUS. 

Shaikh Raisuddin

Shaikh Raisuddin
Total Posts:  85
Joined  20-03-2015

10 December 2018 21:46

The word “religion” is misunderstood because there are variety of religions ranging atheism (Buddhism)  to theism, from animism to polytheism and monotheism etc.and also because no dictionary is scientifically verified for the truth of meaning of words.

“Religion means set of belief without self-experience.”

Therefore,
Education is religion
Language is religion
Science is religion (repeatable)
Law is religion
Nationalism is religion ....
Even, Atheism is religion

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17630
Joined  15-02-2008

10 December 2018 21:57

Religion is bullshit.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

10 December 2018 22:25

I assume bovine excretion is shorthand for a more comprehensive explanation?

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

10 December 2018 23:19

Nhoj Morley - 10 December 2018 10:25 PM

I assume bovine excretion is shorthand for a more comprehensive explanation?

The OP warranted nothing more.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2760
Joined  19-01-2015

11 December 2018 00:01

If you want to call something Religion, be my guest.
IT doesn’t change the fact that some systems of assumptions have a solid foundation and others are the obvious product of a Conman.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7662
Joined  22-02-2014

11 December 2018 07:57

Shaikh Raisuddin - 10 December 2018 09:46 PM

The word “religion” is misunderstood because there are variety of religions ranging atheism (Buddhism)  to theism, from animism to polytheism and monotheism etc.and also because no dictionary is scientifically verified for the truth of meaning of words.

Therefore,
Education is religion
Language is religion
Law is religion

You’re making up a definition for the word religion. I’ll pass on your definition, it’s not helpful.

Shaikh Raisuddin

Shaikh Raisuddin
Joined  20-03-2015

11 December 2018 22:23

CHALLENGE-1:: Define the word “religion” that include all varieties of religions

CHALLENGE-2: Define the word, “belief”.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

11 December 2018 22:41

Shaikh Raisuddin - 11 December 2018 10:23 PM

CHALLENGE-1:: Define the word “religion” that include all varieties of religions

bullshit

acceptance of bullshit

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5142
Joined  28-05-2009

14 December 2018 02:04

Everyone is an atheist. Atheism encompasses everything. Everyone disbelieves in 99% of the worlds religions. If every institution is religious than that figure becomes 99.99%.

See? Anyone can dice that ham. It’s easy.

Instead of trying to corner people with semantics I suggest offering them a positive proposition or argument along with evidence that can be evaluated. I think the reception would be better. I’m actually quite interested in specific religious or spiritual ideas and open to discussing them with charity. I am less open to being told, in advance what I think.

Ground

Ground
Total Posts:  80
Joined  16-07-2017

14 December 2018 04:53

Therefore,
Education is religion
Language is religion
Law is religion

you’re obviously far from knowing that people can accept rules and concepts because of their mere usefulness in the context of goals/intentions. This usefulness is something that is based on common observation independent of beliefs. i.e. you don’t have to believe in any truth to accept the usefulness of education, language, science and law. A believer may hold his belief to be useful, too, but there is no commonly observable evidence that is independent of belief.
Even atheism can be practiced without belief through simply negating the truths asserted by theists without asserting alternative truths.
So in your list nationalism seems to be the only system of thought that is necessarily based on belief.

[ Edited: 14 December 2018 05:03 by Ground]

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21597
Joined  11-03-2007

14 December 2018 08:48

Therefore,
Education is religion
Language is religion
Law is religion

For me, a more accurate definition of “religion” is that it is an over-arching world view that encompasses a person’s ultimate view of reality and the nature of the universe.  This would include both theistic and non-theistic religions, with all their differences.  But education, language, law, and nationalism are not religions. They are merely components of a person’s view of reality, not an all-encompassing view of it. Science could be a religion to some, but for the most part it is simply a method of determining what reality is.  It may lead to an over-arching world view, but is not one in and of itself.  Atheism could be a religion to some under this definition, but for most it is simply the absence of a belief in gods - not a view of what reality is, but what it is not.  Therefore, I cannot accept your conclusion that religion is inevitable and that everyone is religious.

Shaikh Raisuddin

Shaikh Raisuddin
Joined  20-03-2015

15 December 2018 02:25

What is to be “belief-less”? A baby is belief-less.

Belief is a social phenomenon. .

Shaikh Raisuddin

Shaikh Raisuddin
Joined  20-03-2015

15 December 2018 08:36

SCIENCE TOO IS A RELIGION.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1807
Joined  31-10-2015

15 December 2018 08:40

Shaikh Raisuddin - 11 December 2018 10:23 PM

I’d like to hear your specific definition of belief. Does it fit neatly with common dictionary definitions? Or is it more idiomatic, like mine?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7119
Joined  15-02-2007

15 December 2018 10:05

Sloppy.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7662
Joined  22-02-2014

15 December 2018 10:09

Jefe - 15 December 2018 10:05 AM

Sloppy.

Agreed. This sort of discussion hinges on explicit definitions, and it seems to me the OP ought to offer up the first round.

1 2 >