A Climate-Change Pearl Harbor

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8132
Joined  20-02-2006

12 December 2018 12:40

A climate-change Pearl Harbor?  Will there ever be such a thing for those who profit from burning fossil-fuel?

When it comes to taking action to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, will Trump and others who profit from burning oil and coal ever equate a terrible catastrophe with humans burning fossil fuel?  Say there was a gas explosion or house fire in East Los Angeles when a searing 65 mph Santa Ana wind was blowing and large segments of the city caught fire, as in Paradise CA this year.  Say more than 23,000 died in their cars trying to escape the flames along jammed freeways.  Say the damage cost more than a trillion dollars and more than 3 million were left homeless.

Would the Trumpers and other science-deniers see such a catastrophe the way the U.S. saw the attack on Pearl Harbor and take immediate action to reduce carbon and methane emissions?  Or would they say it was caused by natural fluctuations in world’s climate that had nothing to do with humans burning fossil fuel?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7097
Joined  15-05-2009

12 December 2018 14:45

Maybe if a super-giant iceberg breaks free from the Arctic, floats south to Atlantic City and lodges on the beach.  Then super-hot temps melt the berg and flood the city, causing thousands of tourists to evacuate to Washington DC and demand refunds on their ruined vacations.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

13 December 2018 12:03

hannahtoo - 12 December 2018 02:45 PM

Maybe if a super-giant iceberg breaks free from the Arctic, floats south to Atlantic City and lodges on the beach.  Then super-hot temps melt the berg and flood the city, causing thousands of tourists to evacuate to Washington DC and demand refunds on their ruined vacations.

Right.  Here is the guy who would usually go for the gas guzzling SUV or pleasure boat, or the money to install a heated swimming pool:  https://condenaststore.com/featured/the-fire-extinguisher-edward-steed.html

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7093
Joined  22-02-2014

15 December 2018 10:07

unsmoked:

When it comes to taking action to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, will Trump and others who profit from burning oil and coal ever equate a terrible catastrophe with humans burning fossil fuel?

As is probably painfully obvious, I’m in lockstep agreement with the implication here that a few very rich people have so far been able to keep the world locked into using fossil fuels. The oligarchs.

When I look at many of the world’s problems and trace them back to oligarchy, the pieces fit into place nicely and it all seems not only parsimonious, but also rich with evidence.

But the question you raise, unsmoked, really does baffle me. Oligarchs are not idiots. I guess maybe they’re all extreme narcissists and as such have no empathy, even for their own families? It could be that the correlation between the oligarchs and narcissism is quite high, and that would explain a lot.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

15 December 2018 11:56

icehorse - 15 December 2018 10:07 AM

unsmoked:

When it comes to taking action to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, will Trump and others who profit from burning oil and coal ever equate a terrible catastrophe with humans burning fossil fuel?

As is probably painfully obvious, I’m in lockstep agreement with the implication here that a few very rich people have so far been able to keep the world locked into using fossil fuels. The oligarchs.

When I look at many of the world’s problems and trace them back to oligarchy, the pieces fit into place nicely and it all seems not only parsimonious, but also rich with evidence.

But the question you raise, unsmoked, really does baffle me. Oligarchs are not idiots. I guess maybe they’re all extreme narcissists and as such have no empathy, even for their own families? It could be that the correlation between the oligarchs and narcissism is quite high, and that would explain a lot.

Years ago I posted a photo of a family picnic in an outdoor beauty spot.  A kindly grandpa is helping his baby granddaughter take her first steps across the grass.  There’s a speech balloon over his head and he is saying to her, “We’re ruining the world for you sweetie.  We knew how to prevent it, but we didn’t.”

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

16 January 2019 10:36

icehorse - 15 December 2018 10:07 AM

unsmoked:

Rush Limbaugh has a net worth of $590 million.  I wonder how many of his fans died because, listening to his diatribes, they decided to stay home and sit-out Hurricane Irma rather than obey evacuation orders?  https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/09/06/rush-limbaughs-dangerous-suggestion-that-hurricane-irma-is-fake-news/?utm_term=.27cf0200f4c4

“To state the obvious, these are potentially dangerous comments from Limbaugh, who is based in Palm Beach, Fla. He is encouraging listeners who might be in Irma’s path not to take seriously the official guidance disseminated through the media.” 

[ Edited: 16 January 2019 10:40 by unsmoked]