The Wall

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9445
Joined  20-10-2006

13 December 2018 06:34

Another act in Trump’s Dumpster Fire Shit Show:

2016:  Mexico will pay for the wall
2016-2018: I’m working on it, but need the Republican-led Congress to approve funding for the wall, but they are too busy giving tax breaks to me and I don’t want to interrupt them
Late 2018: Fucking Democrats are stonewalling my wall!  Shut down the government until they cough up the money!!

Can we get back to Mexico paying for the wall, and blame them instead?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

13 December 2018 08:08

Here’s how Trump thinks Mexico will “pay for the wall,” in his words, “directly or indirectly”:

In Trump’s mind…(the new trade agreement with Mexico)... has been tweaked in ways the White House likes. The result, he assumes, will be increased trade with our continental neighbors. The increased trade will translate into increased revenue.

Therefore, as the Republican president sees it, when he spends our money on a wall, he’s really just redirecting the profits from the increased trade he hopes will eventually materialize.

Americans will put up the billions for the project, under the White House plan, but we’ll kinda sorta pay ourselves back, slowly and incrementally, by way of Mexican trade.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/why-trump-even-now-says-hell-have-mexico-pay-border-wall

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7425
Joined  22-02-2014

13 December 2018 11:36

Andy Borowitz has a good take on this:

borowitz on the wall

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

13 December 2018 11:52

Heck, 5 billion is chump change these days.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21281
Joined  11-03-2007

13 December 2018 12:43

As you know, I am adamantly against the Wall in Texas.  I feel fairly encouraged that not much of it will be built, if any, before he exits the White House. Then we can tear down what he built, if anything.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8482
Joined  20-02-2006

28 December 2018 11:45

Skipshot - 13 December 2018 06:34 AM

2016-2018: I’m working on it, but need the Republican-led Congress to approve funding for the wall, but they are too busy giving tax breaks to me and I don’t want to interrupt them
Late 2018: Fucking Democrats are stonewalling my wall!  Shut down the government until they cough up the money!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-now-claims-most-furloughed-workers-are-democrats-n952236

“Do the Dems realize that most of the people not getting paid are Democrats?”  - Trump -  4:06 AM - Dec 27, 2018

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

28 December 2018 15:16

unsmoked - 28 December 2018 11:45 AM
Skipshot - 13 December 2018 06:34 AM

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-now-claims-most-furloughed-workers-are-democrats-n952236

“Do the Dems realize that most of the people not getting paid are Democrats?”  - Trump -  4:06 AM - Dec 27, 2018

Does Dumb-like-a-doorknob-Donnie not know that Republicans are still in charge of the House and Senate and they can pass funding for his boondoggle any time they want?  Why aren’t they?

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

28 December 2018 17:11

The House has - the Senate needs 60 votes on appropriations. He can’t get 60.  Otherwise the Senate can kill it with filibuster, which the Dems will.

[ Edited: 28 December 2018 17:14 by EN]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

28 December 2018 18:38

EN - 28 December 2018 05:11 PM

The House has - the Senate needs 60 votes on appropriations. He can’t get 60.  Otherwise the Senate can kill it with filibuster, which the Dems will.

Thanks for the clarification.  Why does the Senate need 60 votes? 

Didn’t the Dems do some kind of finagling to nullify a filibuster when they controlled the Senate?

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

28 December 2018 19:28

Skipshot - 28 December 2018 06:38 PM

Didn’t the Dems do some kind of finagling to nullify a filibuster when they controlled the Senate?

The Senate would require 60% to override Trump’s veto of their budget bill which did not have the 5 billion dollars for the wall.  60% is also required to end a filibuster.

EN

EN
Joined  11-03-2007

28 December 2018 19:33

hannahtoo - 28 December 2018 07:28 PM
Skipshot - 28 December 2018 06:38 PM

The Senate would require 60% to override Trump’s veto of their budget bill which did not have the 5 billion dollars for the wall.  60% is also required to end a filibuster.

Right.  I don’t think the Dems ever ended the filibuster rule, except for court appointments. I don’t agree with it , but the rules are the rules.

[ Edited: 28 December 2018 19:38 by EN]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

30 December 2018 08:00

A radical right-winger created a Go Fund Me campaign to raise money to build the wall as a way to circumvent Congress which won’t vote for it. As of today the campaign has raised $18 million: https://www.gofundme.com/TheTrumpWall

But donating money to the government isn’t so simple.  Congress is given control of how government money is spent and they do not allow money from outside sources to influence government agencies.  Money may be donated to the US government, but that money goes into the General Fund, unless Congress specifically creates a special bond or account for the money to be used for a specific purpose:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/20/crowdfunding-border-wall/2373628002/

Kolfage [the man who created the Go Fund Me campaign] said in his crowdfunding campaign that he worked with Rep. Steven Palazzo, R-Miss., on legislation that would direct the Treasury Department to turn the money into savings bonds, which would allow the donations to be used for the border wall.

The bill, dubbed the “Border Bonds for America Act of 2018,” would allow Americans to purchase revenue bonds to help finance the construction of a southern border wall. It asks the treasury secretary to issue government savings bonds, known as “Border Bonds,” specifically for the construction of the wall.

. . .

This year, Rep. Diane Black, R-Tenn., introduced a bill that would create a trust fund within the Treasury Department that would “accept public donations to fund the construction of a barrier on the border between the United States and Mexico.” Black’s office did not immediately return a request for comment.

“Whether it’s done with bills or whatever, they can make it happen,” Kolfage said.

Time is running out for the campaign, and Congressional Republicans have not passed the above mentioned bills.

Mr. Kolfage has promised to return the donations if the campaign fails.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-02-2007

30 December 2018 09:06

Well the Government Shutdown Tantrum surrounding the wall is leaving ~800,000 government employees without pay in the holiday season.
The WH even went so far as to provide advice for furloughed workers on how to barter with their landlords over missed rent.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Joined  20-10-2006

30 December 2018 10:01

Jefe - 30 December 2018 09:06 AM

Well the Government Shutdown Tantrum surrounding the wall is leaving ~800,000 government employees without pay in the holiday season.
The WH even went so far as to provide advice for furloughed workers on how to barter with their landlords over missed rent.

And Trump is laying blame on Democrats for his taking hostages until his ransom is paid.

Earlier this year he asked Congress for $25 billion for the wall, but they turned him down.  Why didn’t he shut down the government then?  He may have been able to get $5 billion in exchange.  Yeah, we know why.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8482
Joined  20-02-2006

04 January 2019 11:06

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/opinion-a-million-people-cross-the-border-legally-every-day-and-thats-a-good-thing

“A million people will cross the Mexican-U.S. border legally today in both directions. A million people will cross the border tomorrow and the day after and the day after that. A tiny handful, maybe a few hundred will cross illegally. Among us, there is a group of Americans that are blind to the legal crossers and business, and are frightened beyond measure by the tiny few that cross illegally.”

“Most Americans are smart enough not to want a wall on the border, most Americans recognize that the commerce between Mexico and the United States benefits both countries and millions of employees working trade.”  — Raoul Lowery Contreras

“Four thousand or more commercial trucks will cross the border today. Today, tomorrow, the day after, next week and next month, every day $1.4 billion worth of legal goods and services will cross the border in both directions.”

“Yet the same frightened cohort that cringes at the tiny few people who cross over illegally are concerned about narcotics smuggled into the U.S. to satisfy the insatiable American hunger and demand for illicit drugs. They ignore the drug epidemic of prescribed drugs that are the real problem.”

“It should be noted that the total number of illegally-present number here is a cumulative total of half a century or more. They didn’t all come last summer.”  (all quotes from the article)

Q:  Does Trump have the imagination to visualize the million people who are crossing the border legally today?  Checking 4,000 trucks crossing on January 4, 2019?

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  479
Joined  28-04-2017

05 January 2019 12:47

I’m not even very bullish on a wall (it has obvious costs and benefits), but to deny the issue of border security is simply insane.  People who aren’t concerned with border security ought to move near a border crossing…...put your money where your mouth is.  Better yet, let an illegal immigrant stay in your own house.  Hire people for your business without background checks….....stop using arguments in regards to border security which you would not for a second entertain in other, analogous situations in life.

Will Trump declare a national emergency in order to get funding for a wall?  Entirely possible.  This should be interesting.

I think every thinking person has to honestly answer “Do I want the US as a distinct geopolitical entity to exist or not?” 

The right seem to be very clear that their answer is YES.
The left seem to be very clear that they are undecided on this.

If we don’t need to secure our southern border, why wouldn’t it make sense for Mexico and the US to become one political entity?  Serious question…..

1 2 3 >  Last ›