< 1 2 3 4 5 > 

The Wall

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3292
Joined  26-03-2013

12 January 2019 08:47

Is art imitating life or life imitating art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs6UcgiDwg0

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7621
Joined  22-02-2014

12 January 2019 08:59

wow!

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8591
Joined  20-02-2006

12 January 2019 10:37

icehorse - 12 January 2019 07:23 AM

that this man-child has any support left whatsoever is what truly terrifies and saddens me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PHPMPXnQA

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

12 January 2019 11:21

LadyJane - 12 January 2019 08:47 AM

I second the “wow,” and add that I guess that shows you never know what might pop up when you do a google search!

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  483
Joined  28-04-2017

12 January 2019 12:13

Skipshot - 11 January 2019 10:12 PM

In response to KPBS, CBP spokesman Ralph DeSio said the prototypes “were not and cannot be designed to be indestructible,” but were designed to “impede or deny efforts to scale, breach, or dig under such a barrier, giving agents time to respond.”

So a physical barrier is not a perfect or all-encompassing solution?  Obviously.  Again, it seems the people who are against Trump on this are more concerned with arguing against the stupidest of the stupidest on the other side…...only a massive idiot would think a wall was a perfect or complete solution to border security.

So, the latest update from our very stable genius is that he has completely abandoned his campaign promise to have Mexico pay for the wall because Mexico has emphatically refused to do so (and the previous Mexican president twice cancelled planned visits to the White House because balls-to-the-wall Donnie kept bringing up the issue), to withholding the paychecks of federal workers until American citizens agree to pay for the wall; prototypes of which are not meant to prevent breaching or entry, but to slow down intruders until border patrol agents can respond.

Completely irrelevant.  A president not coming through on a promise is not news or even noteworthy.  The logic behind creating physical barriers at major points of illegal entry is unfazed by whatever Trump did or didn’t promise.

Since you’re so concerned with Trump the person, what should he do RIGHT NOW and WHY?

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  15-02-2007

12 January 2019 12:44

Wall = Boondoggle of the worst stripe.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

12 January 2019 12:59

Quad:
Completely irrelevant.  A president not coming through on a promise is not news or even noteworthy.

I disagree.  This is the whole reason that Trump is loathe to give up on the wall.  He does not want to be seen to back down, even though only a minority of voters (but, the core of his supporters) share this commitment to the project.

The House of Reps passed a bill last week that included:

• More than $1.3 billion for new fencing in the Rio Grande Valley and funding to replace secondary fencing in San Diego and other existing pedestrian fencing.

• $366.5 million for border security technology.

• $7.7 million to hire 328 additional U.S. Customs and Border Protection customs officers.

• $224.6 million for “non-intrusive Inspection equipment” at ports of entry.

• $7.08 billion for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

If Pres Trump were open to negotiation, this could be a starting point.  Hey, $1.3 billion for some new fencing in Texas.  That’s a start.  But no, it has to be $5.7 billion for wall-building or 1/4 of the government remains shut down, according to Trump.

Another niggling thing that is bugging me about our President right now is that he disparagingly calls the Democratic leaders “Chuck and Nancy,” or even “Crying Chuck and Nancy.”  He should be calling them Senator Schumer and Speaker Pelosi, or other traditional addresses.  They don’t refer to the President as “Don” or “Blustering Donnie.”

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

12 January 2019 13:07

Quadrewple - 12 January 2019 12:13 PM

Since you’re so concerned with Trump the person, what should he do RIGHT NOW and WHY?

Personally I’d like to see him at least start moving toward actual adulthood, because a psychological Infant-in-Chief, like the current White House interloper, is just a really bad situation.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9566
Joined  20-10-2006

12 January 2019 17:28

In response to KPBS, CBP spokesman Ralph DeSio said the prototypes “were not and cannot be designed to be indestructible,” but were designed to “impede or deny efforts to scale, breach, or dig under such a barrier, giving agents time to respond.”

So a physical barrier is not a perfect or all-encompassing solution?  Obviously.  Again, it seems the people who are against Trump on this are more concerned with arguing against the stupidest of the stupidest on the other side…...only a massive idiot would think a wall was a perfect or complete solution to border security.

I can’t tell if you are arguing against or for a wall on this one.  You seem to support securing the border, but will not explain what that means or how it is to be done.

Completely irrelevant.  A president not coming through on a promise is not news or even noteworthy.  The logic behind creating physical barriers at major points of illegal entry is unfazed by whatever Trump did or didn’t promise.

#1:  See post #16.
#2: Tell Trump to give up hope of ever getting funding for a wall, and try something else.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8591
Joined  20-02-2006

13 January 2019 10:06

Skipshot - 05 January 2019 01:59 PM

We could severely punishing people who hire, sell to, or rent to illegal immigrants.  If you use drugs, you go to jail.  If you use illegal immigrants, you go to jail.  That will severely limit the incentive (jobs) for illegals to come in the first place.  And don’t pretend you don’t know where illegals are.

We could start with the California agriculture sector.  Just raid the fields during harvest time and fine the shit out of the farmers.  Word will spread and a huge part of the problem will solve itself.  Next, go after the president’s hotels and fine the shit out of him for hiring illegals.  The slaughterhouses are easy targets, too.  There is already a national I.D. program being implemented, so require everyone to have one so a federal database may be created to differentiate illegals.  If you are caught without a federal I.D. you are detained until your citizenship status can be determined.  Illegals are deported, and citizens are fined.

Don’t forget my town where illegals harvest ferns and other understory shrubs for the international floral industry.  Since Americans don’t want to do this work, half of the town’s economy would collapse and I’m not exaggerating. 

When I was a kid, I lived about 75 miles from a wall that stretched across our southern border from sea to shining sea.  However, it was built to keep my ancestors in rather than to keep anyone out.  https://www.britannica.com/topic/Hadrians-Wall

If Trump gets his wall, where are all those U.S. bank robbers and other crooks going to run if not across the Rio Grande into Mexico?

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21500
Joined  11-03-2007

13 January 2019 10:48

LadyJane - 12 January 2019 08:47 AM

That’s damn prophetic!  Where’s our sheriff?  Mueller, arrest him!

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  15-02-2007

14 January 2019 16:11

#2: Tell Trump to give up hope of ever getting funding for a wall, and try something else.

45’s russian buddy, steel mogul Roman Abramovich, is going to be choked if that $5+B contract falls through.

Wonder what the kick-backs on that deal look like…

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Joined  15-05-2009

14 January 2019 19:23

I saw a Facebook post which read:

“How did we go from Mexico paying for The Wall to not paying government employees unless the American people pay for the wall?”

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9566
Joined  20-10-2006

14 January 2019 21:03

hannahtoo - 14 January 2019 07:23 PM

I saw a Facebook post which read:

“How did we go from Mexico paying for The Wall to not paying government employees unless the American people pay for the wall?”

Expecting Trump to follow reason is a fool’s errand.  He does what he wants, when he wants, and doesn’t care if it makes sense.  That is what he was elected to do.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1284
Joined  01-11-2014

15 January 2019 11:02

I think it’s time for Trump to ask Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity and Fox and Friends if he should forget about building the Wall and reopen the government.

They are the ones who are really in charge; the ones Trump takes his cues from.

< 1 2 3 4 5 >