Essential distinctions between mathematics, science, metaphysics and philosophy

Speakpigeon

Speakpigeon
Total Posts:  168
Joined  01-10-2017

13 December 2018 06:47

Do you have a view as to what should be, according to you, the essential methodological distinctions between mathematics, science, metaphysics and philosophy?
There is for example a typical distinction which is often made between the methodology in mathematics and science that science should be true of the physical world whereas mathematics doesn’t need to care about it.
Thanks.
EB

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6253
Joined  31-01-2012

13 December 2018 19:12

I feel like burt might know

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5019
Joined  28-05-2009

13 December 2018 21:55

Math is an emergent application of logic in the classic hierarchy I believe.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3328
Joined  26-01-2010

16 December 2018 01:01

Science shouldn’t enslave itself to what is currently observable about the physical world. That doesn’t leave sufficient room for theorizing. Theories not only drive the design of observation and experimentation, but drive the improvement of technology to make observations and do experiments.

How are metaphysics and philosophy distinct? I was under the impression that the former was simply a branch of the latter. As such their methodologies need not differ. Nor should their methodologies either necessarily exclude the empirical or refrain from commentary on the meaning of empirical data.

Speakpigeon

Speakpigeon
Joined  01-10-2017

17 December 2018 09:41

Poldano - 16 December 2018 01:01 AM

How are metaphysics and philosophy distinct? I was under the impression that the former was simply a branch of the latter.

If one is a branch of the other then they are distinct. Their methods need not differ, I agree. However, this would depend on what you mean by metaphysics and by philosophy. I wouldn’t want to count as philosophy any drunken consideration about the futility of using urinals.
EB

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

17 December 2018 10:03

I would say that there probably not explicit distinctions because these are not like kinds or competitors. I think its more useful to think of them as nested sets or aspects.

We can make a distinction between an apple and a tree but I think it’s more useful to notice that an apple is a component and a product of the tree.

Speakpigeon

Speakpigeon
Joined  01-10-2017

18 December 2018 08:08

If there’s no essential distinctions then there’s no privilege of any of these discipline as to the validity of theories on specific objects. Only possibly a different perspective on things. The perspective of the metaphysician on time and space is then as good as that of the physicist. The perspective of the scientist on qualia would be as good as that of the philosopher.
EB

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Joined  28-05-2009

18 December 2018 11:49

How to avoid the semantic bog?

There are distinctions in definition because these are discrete concepts. There are not distinctions of kind because these things are components of one another.

Poldano

Poldano
Total Posts:  3328
Joined  26-01-2010

18 December 2018 23:19

To avoid the semantic bog, we need to clarify whether the thread’s main question is about essential distinctions or essential methodological distinctions. While the two questions may seem identical, to me they are not. I was answering the latter, and I wouldn’t have tried to answer the former.

Speakpigeon

Speakpigeon
Joined  01-10-2017

20 December 2018 09:56

Poldano - 18 December 2018 11:19 PM

To avoid the semantic bog, we need to clarify whether the thread’s main question is about essential distinctions or essential methodological distinctions.

There’s nothing to clarify here. You just need to read the OP:

Speakpigeon - 13 December 2018 06:47 AM

Do you have a view as to what should be, according to you, the essential methodological distinctions between mathematics, science, metaphysics and philosophy?
There is for example a typical distinction which is often made between the methodology in mathematics and science that science should be true of the physical world whereas mathematics doesn’t need to care about it.
Thanks.
EB