Trans-Siberian Orchestra

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21500
Joined  11-03-2007

20 December 2018 18:05

About to hear Trans in Austin. Great holiday show.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17539
Joined  15-02-2008

20 December 2018 21:35

I saw them when I was like 18, no idea at the time, but I really liked it.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

20 December 2018 23:27

We did this thread a few years ago, too.

I recently saw a bit of their disturbing PBS Xmas special. That’s my word for the TSO. Who am I kidding… as a do-thing, it looks the same as what my bunch was all about. The difference is in the reason why it is done. They are an amazing act. I catch some of it and I wonder, why would you want to do it that way? They are disturbing in that way. A different breed.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21500
Joined  11-03-2007

21 December 2018 12:07

Yes, this thread has happened before. For 2 1/2 hours I was lasered, pyroed, and gizmoed with total sensory overload - sight, sound, smell (the fire), feeling (the fire and the fake snow), and taste (caught a couple of snow flakes in my mouth), along with beautiful women, outstanding choreographed dancing and movements, expert musicianship, a well-narrated cinematic Christmas presentation, and surprises galore.  It was perfect.  In fact, it was too perfect.  They did not make a single mistake (that I saw).  I’m not used to perfection - in my world we hit good and even excellent at times, but never perfection.  But these guys and gals never missed a beat. 

I did think of you, Nhoj, in the prog-rock moments of the show, but I can’t see you as being that flashy.  It was great entertainment, but I had hit my sensory full-line with about 30 minutes to go.  When strange machines, levitating guitarists, flames, sparklers, indoor fireworks, and unbelievable lasers - in front and in back - no longer wow you, you know you’ve hit your limit. All I could think about was my aching back and knees. 

But everyone should see them once. Their equipment took 10 semis to transport, and they had a stage crew of 112. This kind of show is unique.