Getting Pointed Out by Sam in Waking Up

Silver

Silver
Total Posts:  1
Joined  29-12-2018

29 December 2018 21:59

Very interesting. I am a believer in Jesus with a pentecostal perspective (I speak in tongues) but have dabbled in breath focused meditation and what I call open awareness meditation over the years and done comparative religion type inquiry into various Buddhisms. I read what Sam said about the psychoses of random thoughts, awareness and especially the dzogchen centered stuff on pages 134-149. Well it worked. First I chose to treat thoughts as intrusive thieves as mentioned as end result in Waking Up of Buddhist practice, unless the thoughts were needed as part of life responsibilities (also taught as a practice in Eastern Orthodox Christianity) and then the below happened when I shifted to a gentle open awareness, open sky perspective -  a quote from Cheshire Cat from a post he or she did on 16 February 2015

“suddenly finding myself in a clear, open, mind space. I looked around the room and felt great clarity and calm. I also had the odd experience of feeling the default center of awareness behind my eyes move forward and upward, as if my awareness was somehow outside my eyeballs and up around my forehead.”

I can elicit and return to this clarity and openness at will.  It’s as if everything is embedded in a spacious sky. .Hopefully it will stabilize and deepen.Perhaps the troubles and hassles of life will shake me out of it.  Some thoughts on this. I do not think this experience by itself would make some one ethical and good though it would empower ethical behavior if the person had effective ethical formation beforehand. This perhaps explains the ethical and moral failures of buddhist and dzogchen teachers. Their shortcomings would not be an indication they really hadn’t experienced rigpa or weren’t embedded in it regularly.

Also it doesn’t feel spiritual to me, but a trained response, mental state i that I had been prepared for by my sporadic meditation practice and study of buddhist ideas. I made use inadvertently of a mental technology. For me Spiritual means contact and influence by the Spirit of God I am now a better functioning person, but this experience by itself didn’t bring into my soul the isness of God and his love. For me it is something like the beneficial effects of good diet and exercise and enough sleep. It feels ordinary and right and simple.

I wonder if you could create this rigpa, dzogchen response through drugs or an artful use of art, images, environment, music, sounds, dance, movement, aromas?

Thank you, Mr. Harris

Ground

Ground
Total Posts:  80
Joined  16-07-2017

02 January 2019 08:12

Silver - 29 December 2018 09:59 PM

Very interesting. I am a believer in Jesus…
... For me Spiritual means contact and influence by the Spirit of God…

Another believer. Sam Harris is certainly an appropriate company for you . smile

Gone

Gone
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-01-2019

07 January 2019 03:53

Ground - 02 January 2019 08:12 AM
Silver - 29 December 2018 09:59 PM

Very interesting. I am a believer in Jesus…
... For me Spiritual means contact and influence by the Spirit of God…

Another believer. Sam Harris is certainly an appropriate company for you . smile

At first I was tempted to prattle on about my years practising strict Tantric Yoga but I’m finally going to ask the question that’s been on my mind since I first stumbled across this little web coven (by accident?), Who and what is Sam Harris?

[ Edited: 11 January 2019 01:28 by Gone]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7313
Joined  22-02-2014

10 January 2019 07:53

There are many ways to achieve states of altered consciousness. I think spending some time in altered states can be a very good thing. My only caution would be to avoid misattributing how you got there.

Gone

Gone
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-01-2019

11 January 2019 01:27

icehorse - 10 January 2019 07:53 AM

There are many ways to achieve states of altered consciousness. I think spending some time in altered states can be a very good thing. My only caution would be to avoid misattributing how you got there.

I’m reminded of a misattribution that many decades later stills induces a giggle or two although I’ve been taken to task for making light of a serious matter. During the hight of the hippy era in Melbourne, Australia a friend’s middle aged mother stumbled across a row of clay pipes laying on the kitchen table, each stuffed full of a very potent form of marijuana- known at the time as ‘Durban Poison’. Curious woman that she was she enquired what they were for. We all adjourned to the back garden for some Yuletide champagne and garlic, ginger prawns ( odd the particulars one remembers ). At some point it was realised Peg had gone missing. She was eventually located standing, handbag still firmly clutched in one hand, pipe of Durban Poison in the other singing her lungs out on the plantation in the middle of the street. Having been a lead opera singer in her youth this was indeed an impressive performance. We had great difficulty in dragging her back into the house. “But my audience, my audience” she babbled and sure enough crowded balconies all up and down the street were applauding the dear old duck singing her tits off and taking lungfuls of dope between verses.
For months she begged us for ‘some more of that stuff’. Her offspring feared they’d induce a heart attack if they obliged. However she somehow found juniors stash and ingeniously mixed a load with her Sunday ladies card game cinnamon tea cake. The assembled ladies were also plied with Spanish sherry. Half an hour into the game four old dears were telling obscene jokes and giggling their heads off uncontrollably. Now here comes the moral of the story in relation to misattribution. When these dear old ducks returned for their monthly bridge game they all asked .”Peg, have you got any more of that wonderful Spanish sherry?”

And yes, spending some time in altered states can be a very good thing but only under optimum conditions, only with certain drugs/practices and with an honest and open understanding that some people, instance, those prone to paranoia etc, know of the risks they are taking .
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry mods if I wandered way off topic here but I can never resist the opportunity of slipping this little moral tale in wherever I can. Problem is I’ve never been able to figure out what the moral is.

[ Edited: 11 January 2019 01:33 by Gone]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7313
Joined  22-02-2014

11 January 2019 07:29

dm said:

And yes, spending some time in altered states can be a very good thing but only under optimum conditions, only with certain drugs/practices and with an honest and open understanding that some people, instance, those prone to paranoia etc, know of the risks they are taking .

Yup. Set and setting are crucial.