Probably not a valid ‘new topic’ but. - - -

Gone

Gone
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-01-2019

07 January 2019 16:12

On another thread I pleaded ignorance and asked who or what SAM HARRIS is. Having now gone to the effort of wandering around here I’ve discovered more or less who the man is and consequently am even more pleased i stumbled across this forum by accident. (No, I don’t wan’t to discuss if there is such a thing as ‘an accident’ or randomness.)

Mr Harris advises us “Please do your best to make sense and treat one another well!” a noble request but being a philosopher Sam probably realises we could spend some time elucidating the meaning of ‘make sense’ and ’treat one another well’.

I recall having read a review of ‘The End of Faith’ which I didn’t get around to reading . It’s now on my priority list especially since discovering here Mr Harris holds a degree in philosophy from Stanford University and a Ph.D. in neuroscience, two qualifications I wish were more often combined. If so I suspect we’d reduce the quantity of over tossed word salad being passed off as philosophy today.  I’m aware of the scope of my presumption and pretension in saying so having myself no formal academic qualifications whatever.
      Non ignarus semper beatum.

[ Edited: 07 January 2019 16:17 by Gone]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6336
Joined  22-02-2005

07 January 2019 16:45

Greetings, Mr. Mordentroge. Almost anything can be a new topic and we have a place for all of them. The Hall of Philosophy is not the place for this one. No problem. We have the buttons.

Welcome to the forum.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3301
Joined  21-10-2016

07 January 2019 17:23

Dissily Mordentroge - 07 January 2019 04:12 PM

On another thread I pleaded ignorance and asked who or what SAM HARRIS is. Having now gone to the effort of wandering around here I’ve discovered more or less who the man is and consequently am even more pleased i stumbled across this forum by accident. (No, I don’t wan’t to discuss if there is such a thing as ‘an accident’ or randomness.)

Mr Harris advises us “Please do your best to make sense and treat one another well!” a noble request but being a philosopher Sam probably realises we could spend some time elucidating the meaning of ‘make sense’ and ’treat one another well’.

I recall having read a review of ‘The End of Faith’ which I didn’t get around to reading . It’s now on my priority list especially since discovering here Mr Harris holds a degree in philosophy from Stanford University and a Ph.D. in neuroscience, two qualifications I wish were more often combined. If so I suspect we’d reduce the quantity of over tossed word salad being passed off as philosophy today.  I’m aware of the scope of my presumption and pretension in saying so having myself no formal academic qualifications whatever.
      Non ignarus semper beatum.

I think you’ll have to read Sam Harris’ books and/or listen to some of his podcasts to decide for yourself who he is.  Although I assume that most have found their way here to the forum due to interest or appreciation of Sam Harris’ podcasts or books, patrons are not all fans per se and vary in their opinions of his work.  Personally, I agree with some of his views and not with others. 

Sam Harris does have an undergraduate degree in Philosophy, but some of his philosophical methods and arguments have been criticized by philosophers.  He has a Ph.D. in Neuroscience, but my understanding is that he has not been an active or practising neuroscientist.  In my opinion, credentials carry some weight, but only some - there are always others with similar credentials and opposing views.  That being said, Sam Harris has inspired the public in many useful and important debates and conversations.

I suppose it could be viewed by some as presumptuous to be critical of those with higher education/academic qualifications (which I also don’t have), but I think we all have the ability to make valid judgements as long as we keep an open mind and are not too quick to judgement.

Again, welcome.

[ Edited: 07 January 2019 17:30 by Jan_CAN]

Gone

Gone
Total Posts:  34
Joined  04-01-2019

07 January 2019 18:17

Nhoj Morley - 07 January 2019 04:45 PM

Greetings, Mr. Mordentroge. Almost anything can be a new topic and we have a place for all of them. The Hall of Philosophy is not the place for this one. No problem. We have the buttons.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome and the switch but ‘Funway’?