Discussions for and by those taking the course

mcsilver

mcsilver
Total Posts:  1
Joined  07-01-2019

07 January 2019 23:43

I began the Waking Up Course as soon as it was available for Android. First, I would like to thank Sam and his development team for their efforts! I, myself, am I software developer and I know that when it comes to creating software and computer systems, the effort required to achieve a simplicity and robustness can be staggering.

Having tried another meditation app, Headspace, I can say that Sam’s content and delivery is somehow much more up my ally, and I am excited to experience a shift in perception and to see what that is like, even if it is subtle. So far, however, I feel like I am mostly incapable of following along. Unless the suggestions to: experience all my sensations as a cloud; step back and observe my thoughts; look for the looker; and even to notice, when my eyes are closed, that the darkness is not limited to what is usually our visual field, I fail to do any of that. I guess I am very much stuck in my current awareness, which is that I do have a head and I am looking from a place behind my eyes.

Perhaps this is perfectly expected after only a couple months (I just started the “daily meditations”) and this is where I would like to suggest input from others who are on the same journey. Would anyone be interested in a forum topic dedicated to comparing notes as we experience the Waking Up Course? We could also express what we really like about the course, what we don’t and also make suggestions.

qualioid

qualioid
Total Posts:  3
Joined  10-01-2019

10 January 2019 04:53

experience all my sensations as a cloud; step back and observe my thoughts; look for the looker; and even to notice, when my eyes are closed, that the darkness is not limited to what is usually our visual field, I fail to do any of that. I guess I am very much stuck in my current awareness, which is that I do have a head and I am looking from a place behind my eyes.

My experience has been similar. After about 20 sessions now:
* I have been unable so far to go even a tiny bit beyond the very strong sense that “I am behind my face, looking out.”
* I am completely unable to move from “feeling the shape of my hands” to “noticing a cloud of sensations”.
* Not once have I identified when/how a thought appears, or been able to observe where it disappears to.

In these respects, I am frustrated thus far, and feel like the pace of the course may be too fast for me. Is the intent that one keeps repeating Day x until that meditation is somewhat mastered? So far I haven’t repeated any of the meditations.

Some progress that I have noticed:
* I am able to pay attention to my breath much longer now. I’ve gone from a few seconds to several minutes.
* I have found it extremely interesting to pay attention to the “signature” of emotions, i.e. where/how I feel anger, frustration, joy, etc.
* The description of attention as a spotlight in consciousness somehow felt quite revealing to me.

This progress seems sufficient to me to keep going with the course, in spite of my misgivings above.

“Simply begin again.”  smile

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6313
Joined  22-02-2005

10 January 2019 11:33

We hope to expand this forum to include sub-forums for meditation, AI and other things. Until then, there are other sites The Boss has started dedicated to his Waking Up app.

qualioid

qualioid
Joined  10-01-2019

11 January 2019 00:37

Nhoj Morley - 10 January 2019 11:33 AM

We hope to expand this forum to include sub-forums for meditation, AI and other things. Until then, there are other sites The Boss has started dedicated to his Waking Up app.

Oh, could you point me to those sites? Thanks!

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

11 January 2019 10:51

I can point you to wakingup.com.

qualioid

qualioid
Joined  10-01-2019

11 January 2019 10:53

Nhoj Morley - 11 January 2019 10:51 AM

I can point you to wakingup.com.

Ah ok, I assumed you meant existing discussion forums. But thanks

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Joined  22-02-2005

11 January 2019 12:24

It is a new site. It may get its own forum.

Maisy

Maisy
Total Posts:  1
Joined  26-05-2019

26 May 2019 19:54

Mcsilver-I am interested in comparing notes as we progress through the course. I am also on the daily meditations and have added the metta meditations (swipe left in The metta meditations are easier for me in many ways but I realize also that I am thinking while I do it: may you be happy, etc.

I am also at the stage where breathing in the world and breathing out myself have not illuminated the nugget of no-thing-ness that Sam talks about. I am committed to the practice. I see the benefit mainly in how I am registering and reacting to emotions. I hope that practice and patience illuminate the state Sam suggests.