1 2 3 >  Last ›

Ridicule City

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  26-03-2013

09 January 2019 10:02

It’s a nifty little town.

I have resigned myself to the fact the Is This Frivolous thread will not be coming after all.  This is more than a little disappointing as it would’ve been a great way to relocate a lot of the superficial foolishness that ties up a lot of threads and provide a place to deliver the proper ribbing it deserves.  There’s so much to laugh at and make fun of and roast it’s almost impossible to read day after day with a straight face.  There are so many meatballs coasting right across the plate I can’t believe no one has the gumption to ever take a swing.  Well isn’t it about time to change all that?  Maybe we can put a monkey wrench into some of the pompous ass fuckery and apply some good old fashioned radical honesty.  At least until the other thread materializes…if ever it does.  I’m tired of waiting.

Winter is Here.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7313
Joined  22-02-2014

09 January 2019 20:56

we’re on pins and needles..

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17337
Joined  15-02-2008

09 January 2019 21:35

icehorse - 09 January 2019 08:56 PM

we’re on pins and needles..

More like the needles are in our arms for this thread.

There, some ridicule for Ridicule City.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1553
Joined  31-10-2015

10 January 2019 06:37

How about:

Steinbeck anticipates the New Journalism trend by a few years and as a result, Abel Dean confidently connects up that dot in his understanding of racial attitudes that prevailed during the early 1960’s in the U.S. South.

Too personal?

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

10 January 2019 06:51

I know nothing of acupuncture and I’ve no interest in voodoo. 

This should be no cause fer concern.  It’s merely a way to call bullshit without derailing the threads.  When people lash out or tangent or contradict themselves anyone can call it out here and patrons can weigh in.  Placing bets is optional.  After awhile folks may be inspired to take an extra second to re-read what they’re about to post knowing the potential for ridicule.  And, alternatively, read the posts of others with more scrutiny.  That’s where most of the jokes originate anyway.  If yer paying attention.  They almost write themselves.

Take the recent political thread where a new member was quickly called out for bigotry.  Is this our first glimpse of bigotry around here?  I think it only seems outrageous for its candor.  And that’s about all, I guess, because the thinly veiled versions that get a free pass slide by with ease as long as they’re greased with strategically placed flattery.  Just like in the real world.  Where white privilege and tiny penises reign supreme.  And, in many ways, that’s far more disturbing.  This is one way of addressing the problem.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

The Klein Bottle is the Thunderdome.  Ridicule City demands Hilarity.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

10 January 2019 07:18

Sounds way too assumptive

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

10 January 2019 08:05

icehorse - 10 January 2019 07:18 AM

Not to worry.  It’s not like I assume you prefer Icelandic ponies over Arabian horses coz you think they’re gonna become radicalized.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1187
Joined  01-11-2014

10 January 2019 09:47

Sounds like the Sam Harris forum meets Don Rickles.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

10 January 2019 10:11

LadyJane - 10 January 2019 08:05 AM

Not to worry.  It’s not like I assume you prefer Icelandic ponies over Arabian horses coz you think they’re gonna become radicalized.

Here’s the thing: I see you as kind of on the extreme left, and my suspicion is that you see me as some sort of neo-con, whereas I see myself as a classic liberal, and opposed to much of the new liberalism. So from my perspective we both have our biases.

With all that said, who’s to be the judge of what’s worthy of ridicule?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2940
Joined  21-10-2016

10 January 2019 10:56

icehorse - 10 January 2019 10:11 AM
LadyJane - 10 January 2019 08:05 AM

Here’s the thing: I see you as kind of on the extreme left, and my suspicion is that you see me as some sort of neo-con, whereas I see myself as a classic liberal, and opposed to much of the new liberalism. So from my perspective we both have our biases.

Who’s to judge ... really?  I suggest leaving all defensiveness aside – perhaps try some return left-directed ridicule, remembering the demand for hilarity.  Something akin to LJ’s hilarious pony/horse post.  Get in the groove, man.  (God, I wish I could think up a good zinger for GAD.)

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

10 January 2019 11:22

icehorse - 10 January 2019 10:11 AM

You’re so environmentally friendly even your gaslight is solar powered.

We all have biases.  Although, we don’t all feel the need to decide what those are for ourselves and others while stressing the importance of attacking the argument and not the person.  I think placing too much emphasis on what people think others think about what they think often skews the way we conduct ourselves and veers from the sort of honesty I’m looking for with this little number.  It bodes well for folks to remember that, for the most part, people are rarely thinking of them at all.  This thread will not be controlled by any one poster.  And sticks in the mud will likely get trampled.

Ridicule shall be doled out from each according to their ability, to each according to their needs.

icehorse

icehorse
Joined  22-02-2014

10 January 2019 11:42

just as long as no one gets triggered, or needs to retreat into their safe spaces.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

10 January 2019 11:43

Jan_CAN - 10 January 2019 10:56 AM

(God, I wish I could think up a good zinger for GAD.)

I don’t know how GAD fits in all the posting what with all that “work out” time he keeps telling us about.  You know, where all the “pushing heavy loads” takes place.  I think it’s safe to say the only “heavy loads” he’s pushing end up in his toilet.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2940
Joined  21-10-2016

10 January 2019 12:05

LadyJane - 10 January 2019 11:43 AM

I don’t know how GAD fits in all the posting what with all that “work out” time he keeps telling us about.  You know, where all the “pushing heavy loads” takes place.  I think it’s safe to say the only “heavy loads” he’s pushing end up in his toilet.

Haha ... thank you, LJ!  (I can always depend on you.)

... and with his favourite meal of cabbage this must keep him in the loo awhile.  I wonder if he does some of his forum posting from there; that would explain a lot.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15569
Joined  17-12-2006

10 January 2019 16:07

Fragile male egos—the thigh bone connected to the hip bone.

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17337
Joined  15-02-2008

10 January 2019 17:31

LadyJane - 10 January 2019 11:43 AM

Oh, with all the cabbage I eat my loads are 4 or 5 flushers, I lose like 3 pounds, it’s amazing!

1 2 3 >  Last ›