< 1 2

The deep roots of anti-semitism

Garret

Garret
Total Posts:  466
Joined  16-01-2019

24 January 2019 22:22

hannahtoo - 14 January 2019 10:56 AM

My point is that I don’t see how anti-semitism can disappear as long as people see Matthew’s verses as the “gospel truth.”  But my experiences with anti-semitism are limited.  I wonder if modern anti-semitism is more focused on notions of Jews being greedy and dishonest, a la Shylock?

I think it’s more pervasive than that.  I’d recommend looking at how the conspiracy theory of Cultural Marxism is structured.  Specifically it’s relationship to the term “cultural bolshevism”.

Also, if you’re looking for a fairly comprehensive look at the Catholic church and the Jewish people, I recommend Constantine’s Sword by James Carroll.  There’s a documentary of the same name (and includes the book’s author), but it barely grazes the subject.  He covers the whole 2000 years in the book, though in regards to Nazi Germany, he’s only concerned about the church’s role in those events.

I think that aspects of antisemitism are so pervasive and ubiquitous in American culture that it’s hard to recognize it some times.  A phrase about forests and trees coming to mind.

[ Edited: 25 January 2019 07:28 by Garret]

< 1 2