#146- Digital Capitalism A Conversation with Douglas Rushkoff

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6511
Joined  22-02-2005

16 January 2019 16:12

In this episode of the podcast, The Boss speaks with Douglas Rushkoff about the state of the digital economy.

#146- Digital Capitalism A Conversation with Douglas Rushkoff

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

Brad777

Brad777
Total Posts:  14
Joined  18-02-2017

24 January 2019 05:46

Regarding the drive of human beings to commune with one another in meaningful ways, Mr. Rushkoff is yet another guest from whom Sam could, and perhaps does, get a serious clue to why religion persists so widely and deeply across our species. The last guest that made me think along these lines was the very wonderful Deeyah Khan.

I still wish Sam could/would get Sebastian Junger on the podcast to discuss his findings in his book, “Tribe.”

Another rather minor clue, which I happened to see last night (along the Burning Man thought line ) is the 5th episode of the documentary about the Grateful Dead called “Long Strange Trip” on Amazon Prime.  This episode is about the Deadheads who followed the band around, making and trading tapes, etc. - communing in a moving commune in a generally superficial, yet still powerful and often fulfilling way. 

This sort of drive is not too many clicks down from our need for food and sex. However, many secularists, for a variety of good (or not-so-much) reasons, are alienated from groups of almost all sorts, which is why secular organizations are generally pitiful specimens compared to almost any religious group, and why secularists so often can’t begin to grasp the power and usefulness of religious communities.

Now that I think of it, more clues, by the way, can be found in Malcolm Gladwell’s Revisionist History podcast, season 1, episode 9, called “Generous Orthodoxy.”

Another great guest I’ll bet Sam could easily get on for more clues would be Dale McGowan.
I could go on, but I won’t.