Self Transcendence and Mental Ilness

Preston

Preston
Total Posts:  3
Joined  20-01-2019

21 January 2019 10:37

I’ve been reading Waking Up and Free Will. I took up meditation three weeks ago. I even use the waking up app now.  I really want to experience self transcendence. I know it does take time, but I do have a concern. I was diagnosed two years ago with schizoaffective disorder. I am medicated and stable now. I talked to my therapist and she said I could and should meditate and agreed with me that I should practice and read Waking Up. It has been the best coping skill I’ve ever took on. I am able to be aware of the present. My concern is, am I able to experience self transcendence?

[ Edited: 21 January 2019 12:41 by Preston]

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6335
Joined  22-02-2005

21 January 2019 14:54

Self-transcendence is a debatable issue ‘round here. Only a self can worry about getting there.

Enjoy the benefits you report. Patrons may casually share their meditative experiences here. It is, of course, no substitute for professional advice.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

21 January 2019 17:13

Mental illness is such a big challenge.  It takes a lot of self awareness to deal with it, and it seems you’re in a good place now.  Kuddos to you for partnering with your therapist to manage your mental health.

As for Waking Up and transcendence, I think meditation can serve different purposes for different people.  And transcendence can be experienced in various ways.  I’d say there’s not a guarantee that a person could practice meditation and be assured of having a predictable outcome.  That having been said, I’ve heard many people say they benefited in some way from meditation.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7618
Joined  22-02-2014

22 January 2019 09:17

Preston - 21 January 2019 10:37 AM

I’ve been reading Waking Up and Free Will. I took up meditation three weeks ago. I even use the waking up app now.  I really want to experience self transcendence. I know it does take time, but I do have a concern. I was diagnosed two years ago with schizoaffective disorder. I am medicated and stable now. I talked to my therapist and she said I could and should meditate and agreed with me that I should practice and read Waking Up. It has been the best coping skill I’ve ever took on. I am able to be aware of the present. My concern is, am I able to experience self transcendence?

Do you pursue any passions / skills about which people can legitimately claim to be experts? Examples would be tennis, chess, musicianship, programming, cooking, photography, and so on?

Preston

Preston
Joined  20-01-2019

22 January 2019 09:41

Yes, in the past I pursued music for several years. At church I still am a musician and singer (I’m now agnostic 2 years). I also work a basic labor job.

[ Edited: 22 January 2019 09:58 by Preston]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7618
Joined  22-02-2014

23 January 2019 07:53

Preston - 22 January 2019 09:41 AM

Yes, in the past I pursued music for several years. At church I still am a musician and singer (I’m now agnostic 2 years). I also work a basic labor job.

Awesome. So, during those times when your goal is to improve your musicianship (not just play what you can already play), you will have episodes when your evolving skill closely matches the challenge of the new piece of music you’re learning. You’ll get into it. Time will pass without you knowing it. You’ll be in the flow state. That’s a transcendent experience, and you can set things up to have it over and over again. People who experience the flow state uniformly describe it as a peak experience.

Preston

Preston
Joined  20-01-2019

23 January 2019 15:06

Thank you Icehorse. That was very helpful insight.