Love new name & logo. New jingle - not so much.

quarfie

quarfie
Total Posts:  1
Joined  30-01-2019

30 January 2019 07:35

Love new name & logo. New jingle - not so much.

Tried to add a poll twice but doesn’t seem to work…

[ Edited: 30 January 2019 07:38 by quarfie]

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6762
Joined  08-12-2006

30 January 2019 07:44

Agree!

espressomakerdeluxe

espressomakerdeluxe
Total Posts:  3
Joined  31-01-2019

31 January 2019 10:17

Love you Sam, but I must agree. I think this music is incorrect. I am a film and TV composer.

The down-home, folksy, acoustic guitar vibe is not inline with the forward-thinking ethos of the channel.
The exotic scales are giving it an Eastern spiritualist “woo-woo” vibe.

Here’s a little game you can play: close your eyes and imagine all the different types of shows to which this music could fit. Here’s what I read:

1) Exploring the Cuisine of India
2) Duck Hunting in the Jungle
3) Backpacking with Jim
4) The Art of Coffee Making

Another issue with this music is that it is harder to cut down if you just want, say, 2 seconds. You will generally be stuck waiting for the chord progression to resolve in order for an edit to sound natural. This is why, I presume, you required 2 separate cues: a longer intro and a little transitional “zinger”. It’s always better if you can use the same cue for both the long version and zinger because it brings unity to the brand identity.

I think the old music had it correct.

[ Edited: 31 January 2019 10:28 by espressomakerdeluxe]

GDKOpinionator

GDKOpinionator
Total Posts:  25
Joined  25-08-2016

05 February 2019 15:24

I agree with this sentiment.

The new jingle evokes confusion as to whether I am listening to Sam Harris, or the audio track from an old thirtySomething episode.  I mean no disrespect to the musician, but it doesn’t fit well into this setting.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6362
Joined  22-02-2005

05 February 2019 16:31

Since you bring it up, the words is out that the poll thingie isn’t working. It is one of several issues, large and small, that are beyond the paygrade of mortal admins. We entreat, pray, grovel and genuflect to our superiors to put in the time.

Like most people, The Boss never really wanted the bonus forum that came with his website. But like an unwanted house-plant, one doesn’t pitch it while it is still alive. One stops watering it and waits for it to die.

Keep writhing!

I haven’t heard the theme yet. I gotta stockpile of odds and ends. He shoulda asked… I would sign it off for cheap too…  fix the polling thingie!

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  199
Joined  14-09-2017

08 February 2019 13:09

espressomakerdeluxe - 31 January 2019 10:17 AM

Love you Sam, but I must agree. I think this music is incorrect. I am a film and TV composer.

The down-home, folksy, acoustic guitar vibe is not inline with the forward-thinking ethos of the channel.

Here’s a little game you can play: close your eyes and imagine all the different types of shows to which this music could fit. Here’s what I read:

3) Backpacking with Jim

Another issue with this music is that it is harder to cut down if you just want, say, 2 seconds. You will generally be stuck waiting for the chord progression to resolve in order for an edit to sound natural. This is why, I presume, you required 2 separate cues: a longer intro and a little transitional “zinger”. It’s always better if you can use the same cue for both the long version and zinger because it brings unity to the brand identity.

I like your examples - I think #1 is about spot on.  Here’s what visions pop in my mind (a bit of a combination of all three):

1)  One of the shows where they fix up a house
2)  Some type of nature show where they show some fields and then like a fast motion leaf growing on a tree
3)  The music playing where they show a completed dish on a cooking show - something with pasta and a little spicy

espressomakerdeluxe

espressomakerdeluxe
Joined  31-01-2019

08 February 2019 14:02

lol. Nice. It’s not a perfect game as there will always be some subjectivity involved, but it’s immensely useful as an exercise. The point is to narrow the field of options as much as possible. I think you and I both agree there is some element of quaintness to the music’s vibe, whereas we should likely be looking for something more forward-thinking.

Though, who knows. Maybe Sam will start a cooking show grin

Mattt

Mattt
Joined  13-01-2019

11 February 2019 04:07

espressomakerdeluxe - 31 January 2019 10:17 AM

3) Backpacking with Jim

I pretty much agree, but i don’t know why it’s important.  I know what the podcast is about, why does the music matter?

Steve The Philosophist

Steve The Philosophist
Joined  11-02-2019

11 February 2019 16:21

I am indifferent about the new music. I can get used to it. I do want to point out though that the old music always reminded me of a slow version of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-SQGOYOjxs

DEGENERATEON

DEGENERATEON
Total Posts:  199
Joined  14-09-2017

12 February 2019 10:49

Mattt - 11 February 2019 04:07 AM

I pretty much agree, but i don’t know why it’s important.  I know what the podcast is about, why does the music matter?

Then why have music at all?  It’s not that important, but if you’re going to have music - it should fit the theme.  If the show started with “Yakety Sax”, would it matter?  I say yes.

h3mp

h3mp
Total Posts:  2
Joined  14-02-2018

13 February 2019 00:23

Did anyone else notice the old music had the same chord progression as Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball”.. or was it just me that liked to sing along :-o

Steve The Philosophist

Steve The Philosophist
Joined  11-02-2019

13 February 2019 10:35

h3mp - 13 February 2019 12:23 AM

Did anyone else notice the old music had the same chord progression as Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball”.. or was it just me that liked to sing along :-o

That’s an interesting connection. I’m not hearing it as much as Rise Against’s Prayer of the Refugee, but I can imagine getting Wreaking ball stuck in your head at the end of the progression.

h3mp

h3mp
Total Posts:  2
Joined  14-02-2018

14 February 2019 00:21

Steve The Philosophist - 13 February 2019 10:35 AM

That’s an interesting connection. I’m not hearing it as much as Rise Against’s Prayer of the Refugee,

ah yes i can hear that too.. grin
I’ve always listened to the podcast at x2 speed which probably makes the chord sequence more noticeable than at x1 speed..

Steve The Philosophist

Steve The Philosophist
Joined  11-02-2019

14 February 2019 11:37

h3mp - 14 February 2019 12:21 AM
Steve The Philosophist - 13 February 2019 10:35 AM

That’s an interesting connection. I’m not hearing it as much as Rise Against’s Prayer of the Refugee,

ah yes i can hear that too.. grin
I’ve always listened to the podcast at x2 speed which probably makes the chord sequence more noticeable than at x1 speed..

Haaa! I do the same!

espressomakerdeluxe

espressomakerdeluxe
Joined  31-01-2019

15 February 2019 09:24

There is no need for music. Media music can serve to do 2 major things: 1) add emotional colour to content, 2) act as sonic signature (brand identity). You could argue that Sam likely needs neither of these things. I think it’s better to have no music rather than the wrong music.