1 2 > 

The Effects of Social Media on Human Psychology (Individuals and Society)

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  483
Joined  28-04-2017

30 January 2019 12:10

Sam Vaknin: the TRUE toxicity of social media revealed

Daily social media use is only 3-5 years old as a common practice.

There are certain negatives sides of social media which can be avoided if one has the wisdom to do so.

This video also explores the negative aspects which are built into the system, even deliberately so, as admitted by former top level employees.

This video is well worth the watch, even at its length.  We owe it to ourselves as a species to not blindly start taking addictive and mind conditioning substances, allowing our kids to use them, without understanding what we’re signing up for.

This guy Sam Vaknin never ceases to impress me, even where I have disagreements.  He’s making original arguments.

The only thing I have to add is that social media is an amplifier for every cognitive bias in humans, but in particular, availability heuristic and availability cascade.  Its interplay with those alone is reason to treat social media in the Information Age with major caution.

[ Edited: 30 January 2019 14:31 by Quadrewple]

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17707
Joined  15-02-2008

31 January 2019 17:45

I agree that social media is the virus of the zombie apocalypse and that guy is it’s the typhoid Marty. That was like watching a used car salesmen turned tent preacher doing an info commercial. Absolute pure fucking bullshit and all the people praising it are already the walking fucking dead!

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21683
Joined  11-03-2007

31 January 2019 18:21

Run away from social media. The fact that Trump uses it incessantly should be warning enough. 

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Joined  28-04-2017

01 February 2019 11:36

GAD - 31 January 2019 05:45 PM

I agree that social media is the virus of the zombie apocalypse and that guy is it’s the typhoid Marty. That was like watching a used car salesmen turned tent preacher doing an info commercial. Absolute pure fucking bullshit and all the people praising it are already the walking fucking dead!

But saying someone sounds like a used car salesman or a preacher is not an argument.  He raises a lot of points that others aren’t raising about social media, like the fact that is designed to cater to human pathology, to encourage short, aggressive conversations, to decentralize and delegitimize authority (including expert authority).  I never said I agreed with everything he said…..why would it matter even if I did?

I’m presenting these ideas because I believe they may have value to others, not because Sam Vaknin is my personal Messiah.

I would encourage anyone to use things they listen to as mental springboards or take what is useful and discard the rest, perhaps use the material to direct one’s own research.  At least this guy Sam Vaknin has something original and relevant to say. 

The vast majority of people have nothing original and/or relevant to say about society, so even if 1/2 of what he says is bullshit, that 1/2 that isn’t makes him more useful to a critical thinker than almost everyone else.

He is also among the most knowledgeable people I’ve encountered in the field of psychology - I obviously can’t confirm the legitimacy of every study he cited, but many of the ones he was referring to, I’ve heard referenced other places as well.

Social media is the biggest change in the last 5 years, and it receives so little attention compared to other things.  It’s because social media is how the information war is waged, so to even question its value to society, let alone talk about the harmful effects goes against the current “powers-that-be”

[ Edited: 01 February 2019 11:50 by Quadrewple]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3350
Joined  26-03-2013

01 February 2019 14:17

I think when we perceive things in real life and express them in writing on social media there are not only language barriers but misinterpretations of perceptions.  Communication is happening everywhere but still somehow remains hard to come by.  And without a fix there’s no way to tell fer sure what’s honest and what’s convenient.  I’d like to see more of a desire to find out.

Listen close and hear the patterns in comments made years ago and in weeks and days and minute by minute you can observe the empty space where credibility once stood.

Strange when things we’ve seen before are suddenly at odds with the way things are now.  And not from a change of heart either.  Not an evolution of mind or a shift in perception or a difference of opinion after new evidence materializes.  But based on what’s around.  Depending on who’s around.  The drifting tide of popularity coaxing you out then leaving you aimless.

It all funnels to the same place eventually.  Where the same people rebelling against the past are stranded with those who are fighting the future.  Sifting through to the present.

It’s like digging a hole with a skewer.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

01 February 2019 16:18

Quadrewple - 01 February 2019 11:36 AM
GAD - 31 January 2019 05:45 PM

But saying someone sounds like a used car salesman or a preacher is not an argument.  He raises a lot of points that others aren’t raising about social media, like the fact that is designed to cater to human pathology, to encourage short, aggressive conversations, to decentralize and delegitimize authority (including expert authority).  I never said I agreed with everything he said…..why would it matter even if I did?

I’m presenting these ideas because I believe they may have value to others, not because Sam Vaknin is my personal Messiah.

I would encourage anyone to use things they listen to as mental springboards or take what is useful and discard the rest, perhaps use the material to direct one’s own research.  At least this guy Sam Vaknin has something original and relevant to say. 

The vast majority of people have nothing original and/or relevant to say about society, so even if 1/2 of what he says is bullshit, that 1/2 that isn’t makes him more useful to a critical thinker than almost everyone else.

He is also among the most knowledgeable people I’ve encountered in the field of psychology - I obviously can’t confirm the legitimacy of every study he cited, but many of the ones he was referring to, I’ve heard referenced other places as well.

Social media is the biggest change in the last 5 years, and it receives so little attention compared to other things.  It’s because social media is how the information war is waged, so to even question its value to society, let alone talk about the harmful effects goes against the current “powers-that-be”

If he says social media is evil, is then saying it’s because it was designed by homo’s, psychos and greedy jews, ET etc justified? In 20min that guy spouted more bullshit then I have in 20 years. It’s like in my sig video Kissing Hanks Ass, drink alcohol in moderation, the moon is made of green cheese, wait the moon isn’t made out of green cheese, how do you know you’ve never been there (or saw the study) and drink alcohol in moderation makes sense so it must be true to.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  01-11-2014

02 February 2019 12:21

If what Sam Vaknin is saying is true, and studies back up his claims, then social media addiction is a new and modern mental illness.

He’s making some alarming claims, such as the suicide rate of teenagers who engage in social media for hours on end, has skyrocketed by 30%. He also believes that a billion people have now altered their brains permanently and that we are living in an ongoing psychological experiment where people are using themselves unwittingly as guinea pigs.

If these claims are valid, then social media addiction is as insidious and dangerous as cigarettes used to be before the dangers of smoking tobacco came to light.

There is an inherent evil going on here. These media apps are designed to addict people, to make them insecure, aggressive and alienated. They are also losing touch with reality. Reality is limited to what’s on that tiny screen that they can’t keep their eyes off of.

Caffeine in the morning, alcohol at night
Cameras to record you and mirrors to recognize
And as the world is getting smaller
Small things take up all your time
Narcissus would have had a field day if he could have got online
And friends it’s not self-love that kills you
It’s when those who hate you are allowed
To sell you that you’re a glorious shit the entire world revolves around
And that you’re the eater, and not the eaten
But that your hunger will only cease
If you come binge on radiant blandness at the disposable feast

— Father John Misty

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

02 February 2019 19:26

Cheshire Cat - 02 February 2019 12:21 PM

If what Sam Vaknin is saying is true, and studies back up his claims, then social media addiction is a new and modern mental illness.

He’s making some alarming claims, such as the suicide rate of teenagers who engage in social media for hours on end, has skyrocketed by 30%. He also believes that a billion people have now altered their brains permanently and that we are living in an ongoing psychological experiment where people are using themselves unwittingly as guinea pigs.

If these claims are valid, then social media addiction is as insidious and dangerous as cigarettes used to be before the dangers of smoking tobacco came to light.

If what the Nazis said was true, Trump, the alt-right Fox news etc, the list of “if” what they say is true is endless and a really fucking bad criteria when you know 90% of what they say is a lie.

What is the danger of people like him, other people believe his bullshit and say shit like this

There is an inherent evil going on here. These media apps are designed to addict people, to make them insecure, aggressive and alienated. They are also losing touch with reality. Reality is limited to what’s on that tiny screen that they can’t keep their eyes off of.

You have deemed it evil and that it was designed to addict people, to make them insecure, aggressive and alienated with zero proof to back that up, just some guy on the INTERNET telling you so. He is a fucking virus!

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1831
Joined  31-10-2015

03 February 2019 06:34

I’m a little surprised at how social media are being portrayed by Big News these days. But I’m out of the loop. I have yet to send or read a text, for instance, because the whole extravaganza—especially the excessively cute abbreviations—just doesn’t suit my personality for how I am at my age. I can’t help but assume that I’d have loved social media if I’d been younger when the whole thing started. I remember living for 8 years in a building that was divided into more than 400 minute apartments. Almost no one talked to each other except maybe to complain. I did eventually befriend a family who lived upstairs, and it seemed like an exotic experience to be close to other tenants in a big-city apartment building. How did any of us meet people back then? For the most part, I suspect we didn’t. We huddled together almost completely isolated from each other. Nowadays, things may be the same for that building on the eye-to-eye level, but I’m certain that ubiquitous new cyber levels of social interaction have been a blessing on some new level. More cheerily, maybe the building’s residents remain unable to face each other eye-to-eye.

Users of social media just need to fine-tune their habit. Like anything else, the system will evolve till it improves, dies, or destroys us.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

04 February 2019 09:59

That youtube video raises questions that pique my curiosity.  The human interactions available for observation at this forum alone demonstrate the anxiety and depression and aggressive aspects of social media discussed.  The fragility of patrons and destructive behaviours on display are almost as alarming as the complacency with which they’ve been met.  I think people are often too self absorbed to notice.  And if Facebook and Twitter are even worse…then yikes.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Joined  28-04-2017

04 February 2019 13:13

GAD - 02 February 2019 07:26 PM

If what the Nazis said was true, Trump, the alt-right Fox news etc, the list of “if” what they say is true is endless and a really fucking bad criteria when you know 90% of what they say is a lie.

Okay, but can you point out any lies he told in the interview?  Is teen suicide up?  Definitely is way up in recent years.  So is teen depression/anxiety.  I haven’t looked up the Instagram studies, but his fundamental point that “signalling” causes anxiety rings true for me and almost everyone I know.  So much of social media is signalling.  So much of social media is an infinite stream of information, what effect does that have on neurotransmitters?

You have deemed it evil and that it was designed to addict people, to make them insecure, aggressive and alienated with zero proof to back that up, just some guy on the INTERNET telling you so. He is a fucking virus!

All due respect, who cares about how we morally judge the creators?  What matters is the effects it has on people.  I’m not going to sit around debating the ethics of manufacturing heroin - I’m just not going to use heroin.  But my instinct tells me manufacturing addictive drugs is kinda a scumbag thing to do.

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

04 February 2019 20:35

Quadrewple - 04 February 2019 01:13 PM

Okay, but can you point out any lies he told in the interview?  Is teen suicide up?  Definitely is way up in recent years.  So is teen depression/anxiety.  I haven’t looked up the Instagram studies, but his fundamental point that “signalling” causes anxiety rings true for me and almost everyone I know.  So much of social media is signalling.  So much of social media is an infinite stream of information, what effect does that have on neurotransmitters?

All due respect, who cares about how we morally judge the creators?  What matters is the effects it has on people.  I’m not going to sit around debating the ethics of manufacturing heroin - I’m just not going to use heroin.  But my instinct tells me manufacturing addictive drugs is kinda a scumbag thing to do.

So basically he said something you wanted to hear and already believe and now he’s the man. 

Don’t just buy his bullshit, do the work!

he said viruses don’t kill everyone because they want to replicate - show data on how viruses decide how many to kill/have killed and change their lethality
he said if you like Victoria Secret models instead of fat women it’s because gay men have programmed you to like adolescent boys - show proof
he said Twitter character count was designed to promote hate - prove it
he said all Social Media was designed to be demeaning and destructive by asexual, asocial white men - show the work
he said Social Media was designed to addict people - show it was and how it differs from all other addictions that weren’t “designed” 

correlation is not causation - above all else do a meta analysis and show something we can discuss that supports any of his claims

That just some of the bullshit he ranted in the first 20min which is where I had to stop as I wanted to blow my fucking brains out.

[ Edited: 05 February 2019 07:58 by GAD]

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

05 February 2019 05:40

I’m wondering if the online world has eliminated the need for flight.  In the fight or flight sense of the word.  It would explain the escalation of fighting, overwhelming the internet, without the corresponding consequences aggressive confrontations usually elicit.  The real life versions are considerably more dangerous so people tend to avoid them.  Where an online fight poses far less risk for the cowardly bastards who pick them.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  01-11-2014

05 February 2019 11:42

GAD, I did a quick Google search on “Addiction to Social Media” and a ton of articles came up. This is not a controversial subject. Tech companies like Facebook are purposely manipulating people and trying to get them addicted to their platforms.

Here’s just one article from Forbes, a fairly conservative publication:

https://tinyurl.com/y74ovmre

There have been many studies that have concluded that social media addiction is real. But it’s not just Facebook. There are over 2 billion Facebook users worldwide, about 500 million tweets are sent daily on Twitter, 95 million images are uploaded to Instagram daily and on YouTube, over 400 hours of video are uploaded per minute. Those figures alone should tell us something. In fact, all social media is addictive by design. Maximizing engagement is in their business model. The more time you spend scrolling and clicking, the better for business. The infinite newsfeed and notifications you receive are personalized to draw and keep you in. The more the advertiser has your attention, the more sales. And so on.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Joined  28-04-2017

05 February 2019 11:56

GAD - 04 February 2019 08:35 PM

So basically he said something you wanted to hear and already believe and now he’s the man.

I just want to point out that you drew an analogy between him and the Nazi Party, because of his lies, of which you haven’t even pointed out one.

Don’t just buy his bullshit, do the work!

What work?

he said viruses don’t kill everyone because they want to replicate - show data on how viruses decide how many to kill/have killed and change their lethality

It stands to reason that if all the potential hosts are killed, the virus cannot spread further - thus it is in a virus’ best interest to limit its outreach.  This is Sam Vaknin’s analogy - it’s not an argument supporting his thesis that social media is a virus (which he spends much of the interview supporting).

Try a little harder mate!

he said if you like Victoria Secret models instead of fat women it’s because gay men have programmed you to like adolescent boys - show proof

No, he said that studies across cultures show that men prefer “fuller” women and yet most of the fashion industry is propagating a skinny, more boylike figure.  The fashion industry IS largely controlled by gay men.  The context of this was to illustrate that the individuals who establish a platform or influence an industry put their psychological stamp on it - the same way neurotic, asocial, asexual men were largely the creators of social media and put their psychological stamp on it.

Again, try a little harder.

he said Twitter character count was designed to promote hate - prove it

No, he said that low character counts are better designed for aggressive speech than positive speech.  Aggression typically lacks nuance.  And you’re not even disputing this, you’re asking for proof…..it sounds like an excuse to ignore the problem.  Find the proof/disproof yourself if you’re so concerned that he’s wrong.

he said all Social Media was designed to be demeaning and destructive by asexual, asocial white men - show the work

Show what work?

he said Social Media was designed to addict people - show it was and how it differs from all other addictions that weren’t “designed”

Who cares?  If it’s an addictive and mind conditioning substance (which I notice you haven’t disputed), then it needs to be judged on its own merits, not just its harmfulness compared to other addictive substances…...

correlation is not causation - above all else do a meta analysis and show something we can discuss that supports any of his claims

Why is it that people think they’re making a brilliant point by saying “correlation is not causation”?  Sam Vaknin addresses correlation and causation numerous times in the interview, and gives supporting arguments for what why he considers social media to be a causal factor in various societal problems (which you haven’t addressed), as well as other influential factors.

Your question is “Where is the meta analysis?”

My question is, why are you asking Sam Vaknin for a meta analysis?  Why is it the job of some random guy on the internet to do this?  Why aren’t you making this request of all the people who allow their kids to use social media or the social media companies themselves?

We have all these signs social media is a destructive force or “correlations” as you’d call them.  You have no alternative explanation for these correlations, and you haven’t defeated any of his arguments.  It doesn’t seem like you’re interested in the truth of this matter

[ Edited: 05 February 2019 11:58 by Quadrewple]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

06 February 2019 08:07

Cheshire Cat - 05 February 2019 11:42 AM

GAD, I did a quick Google search on “Addiction to Social Media” and a ton of articles came up. This is not a controversial subject. Tech companies like Facebook are purposely manipulating people and trying to get them addicted to their platforms.

Here’s just one article from Forbes, a fairly conservative publication:

https://tinyurl.com/y74ovmre

There have been many studies that have concluded that social media addiction is real. But it’s not just Facebook. There are over 2 billion Facebook users worldwide, about 500 million tweets are sent daily on Twitter, 95 million images are uploaded to Instagram daily and on YouTube, over 400 hours of video are uploaded per minute. Those figures alone should tell us something. In fact, all social media is addictive by design. Maximizing engagement is in their business model. The more time you spend scrolling and clicking, the better for business. The infinite newsfeed and notifications you receive are personalized to draw and keep you in. The more the advertiser has your attention, the more sales. And so on.

Where did I say I disagreed with “Addiction to Social Media”? That article was lite and opinion but the reasons given are the same as I see them. That said we are an addiction animal, food, sugar, sex, drugs, R&R, TV, movies, news, religion, politics and on and on. So not really news, just something else to be addicted to, the addiction of addiction to drive news ads and give crusaders a new evil to fight so they can feed their addiction to save everyone from something.

1 2 >