< 1 2

The Effects of Social Media on Human Psychology (Individuals and Society)

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17604
Joined  15-02-2008

06 February 2019 08:27

Quadrewple - 05 February 2019 11:56 AM

Why is it that people think they’re making a brilliant point by saying “correlation is not causation”?  Sam Vaknin addresses correlation and causation numerous times in the interview, and gives supporting arguments for what why he considers social media to be a causal factor in various societal problems (which you haven’t addressed), as well as other influential factors.

Because non-brilliant people don’t get it.

Autism is skyrocketing, this correlates the numbers of vaccinations we give our children which contain mercury which is a poison! There is a doctor who says there are studies on this and is speaking where no one else is and trying to help, if even half of what he says is true we should all immediately stop vaccinating our children and fight this terrible thing. 

That’s where you and Sam are at this point.   

Your question is “Where is the meta analysis?”

My question is, why are you asking Sam Vaknin for a meta analysis?  Why is it the job of some random guy on the internet to do this?  Why aren’t you making this request of all the people who allow their kids to use social media or the social media companies themselves?

I wasn’t asking him, I was asking you, his acolyte. And I said meta because I know, if you did anything at all, it would be to find some article on the net that said what you wanted to hear and act like that was proof of something. But you didn’t bother with that. 

We have all these signs social media is a destructive force or “correlations” as you’d call them.  You have no alternative explanation for these correlations, and you haven’t defeated any of his arguments.  It doesn’t seem like you’re interested in the truth of this matter

I never argued against social media addiction, that is a strawman of your own making. I asked you for proof that teen suicide in driven by social media and all the other bullshit this guys spouts. So far you have provided ZERO and your only counter has been to ask repeatably how I (anyone) can not believe what some video on the internet says.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1309
Joined  01-11-2014

06 February 2019 12:48

GAD - 06 February 2019 08:07 AM

Where did I say I disagreed with “Addiction to Social Media”? That article was lite and opinion but the reasons given are the same as I see them. That said we are an addiction animal, food, sugar, sex, drugs, R&R, TV, movies, news, religion, politics and on and on. So not really news, just something else to be addicted to, the addiction of addiction to drive news ads and give crusaders a new evil to fight so they can feed their addiction to save everyone from something.

Quadrewple entitled this post “The Effects of Social Media on Human Psychology,” so when I watched Vaknin’s youtube video, I focused in on what he had to say specifically about social media addiction. The other stuff he talked about seemed superfluous to the OP. I found his other comments interesting; you found them imbecilic, or whatever.

Since you don’t disagree that social media is designed to be addictive, then we don’t really have much of a disagreement.

But as far as your comment above about how the “do-gooders” now have a new cause to tsk, tsk about, I disagree. The problem with social media goes way past it’s addictive aspects. Social media is designed to masquerade as a benign way to communicate with your friends. It’s really a data collecting tool which sells people’s personal data to companies that use this data for manipulation. Cambridge Analytica mined the personal psychological data of Facebook users to manipulate them with certain specific ads in order to make them fearful, and, in turn, vote for Donald Trump. This is absolutely Orwellian.

And I don’t think this aspect of psychological manipulation via social media is mentioned nearly enough by the news media. But then, why would it be? Manipulating people to buy things that they don’t need, or to vote for politicians who are pro big business would go against their advertisers, sponsors, and even the mega conglomerates that are their “parent” owners. Keeping the status quo, with the sheep easy to sheer is what it’s really all about. Social media is the perfect tool for this.

[ Edited: 06 February 2019 14:27 by Cheshire Cat]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

07 February 2019 07:40

Cheshire Cat - 06 February 2019 12:48 PM
GAD - 06 February 2019 08:07 AM

Where did I say I disagreed with “Addiction to Social Media”? That article was lite and opinion but the reasons given are the same as I see them. That said we are an addiction animal, food, sugar, sex, drugs, R&R, TV, movies, news, religion, politics and on and on. So not really news, just something else to be addicted to, the addiction of addiction to drive news ads and give crusaders a new evil to fight so they can feed their addiction to save everyone from something.

Quadrewple entitled this post “The Effects of Social Media on Human Psychology,” so when I watched Vaknin’s youtube video, I focused in on what he had to say specifically about social media addiction. The other stuff he talked about seemed superfluous to the OP. I found his other comments interesting; you found them imbecilic, or whatever.

Since you don’t disagree that social media is designed to be addictive, then we don’t really have much of a disagreement.

But as far as your comment above about how the “do-gooders” now have a new cause to tsk, tsk about, I disagree. The problem with social media goes way past it’s addictive aspects. Social media is designed to masquerade as a benign way to communicate with your friends. It’s really a data collecting tool which sells people’s personal data to companies that use this data for manipulation. Cambridge Analytica mined the personal psychological data of Facebook users to manipulate them with certain specific ads in order to make them fearful, and, in turn, vote for Donald Trump. This is absolutely Orwellian.

And I don’t think this aspect of psychological manipulation via social media is mentioned nearly enough by the news media. But then, why would it be? Manipulating people to buy things that they don’t need, or to vote for politicians who are pro big business would go against their advertisers, sponsors, and even the mega conglomerates that are their “parent” owners. Keeping the status quo, with the sheep easy to sheer is what it’s really all about. Social media is the perfect tool for this.

I listed Cambridge Analytica as my most important story of the year on some thread and started one my self as well. But my interest is in how powerful the SW and AI were and how basically stupid people are.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  483
Joined  28-04-2017

12 February 2019 15:15

GAD - 06 February 2019 08:27 AM

Autism is skyrocketing, this correlates the numbers of vaccinations we give our children which contain mercury which is a poison! There is a doctor who says there are studies on this and is speaking where no one else is and trying to help, if even half of what he says is true we should all immediately stop vaccinating our children and fight this terrible thing.

This is no Pascal’s Wager - with Pascal’s Wager you could replace the concept of God with any other concept and one would be enslaved by its potential validity/existence.  There is no reason to believe in God anymore than any other concept.

It also wouldn’t follow that if rise in autism is correlated with rise in vaccinations that we would stop all vaccinations.  It would follow that if we have good reason to believe in a level of causation, we would approach vaccination with care, and evaluate which vaccinations are actually the most necessary to stop mass disease/death and evaluate health trends from that point.

But the vaccination example in itself is not a valid comparison.  Social media use and the internet more broadly represents by FAR the biggest change in the past 5-15 years in terms of how people spend their time, and how they consume information.  If the data Sam referenced is is correct, the teen suicide correlated more strongly with the rise of internet/social media use, not with the downward health trends in American life present since the 70’s.

How could one possibly isolate vaccinations from the downward trends in diet, exercise, average time spent in sun, etc etc etc…....and what is the connection (if any) between social media use and poor diet, exercise, lack of sunlight, etc?

I wasn’t asking him, I was asking you, his acolyte.  And I said meta because I know, if you did anything at all, it would be to find some article on the net that said what you wanted to hear and act like that was proof of something. But you didn’t bother with that. 

Posting a video of someone to discuss their ideas hardly makes one an acolyte.  Again, it’s the fact that it’s a random guy on the internet bringing up these issues that frames the discussion - social media is a means of control over human consciousness and as such to question its value to society is to threaten an emerging power structure which will dominate the Information Age indefinitely.

Have they proven smoking causes lung cancer?  Or only a correlation?  At a certain point, human beings have to think for themselves and not wait around for absolute proof, which rarely ever shows up.  No one waits for absolute proof before making decisions - it’s completely impractical.

I never argued against social media addiction, that is a strawman of your own making. I asked you for proof that teen suicide in driven by social media and all the other bullshit this guys spouts. So far you have provided ZERO and your only counter has been to ask repeatably how I (anyone) can not believe what some video on the internet says.

Again, you’re asking for proof.  How could that possibly be obtained?  What is your standard?  I didn’t ask you to believe him, I asked you to refute the arguments which support his subjective opinions.

I highly doubt you apply this same skepticism to every topic.  You certainly haven’t applied it to the UNTESTED idea that it’s okay/beneficial for humans to be using social media…...why is that?  Seems like selective skepticism to me.

[ Edited: 12 February 2019 15:21 by Quadrewple]

GAD

GAD
Joined  15-02-2008

12 February 2019 21:46

Quadrewple - 12 February 2019 03:15 PM

But the vaccination example in itself is not a valid comparison.  Social media use and the internet more broadly represents by FAR the biggest change in the past 5-15 years in terms of how people spend their time, and how they consume information.  If the data Sam referenced is is correct, the teen suicide correlated more strongly with the rise of internet/social media use, not with the downward health trends in American life present since the 70’s.

It was a very valid example, and IF it had been true it was an issue many orders of magnitude larger then teen suicide. But it wasn’t true, just a correlation, it started a world wide panic, BILLIONS were spent chasing it, the Doctors data was proven to be bullshit, he was stripped of his license, yet childhood diseases are making a comeback right now as 10’s of millions of people stopped getting their kids vaccinations. 

What do you have, another guy making big claims based on a correlation and when ask for data to back it up, you say there is none but what he says is interesting to you and IF true really huge and we should be spending billions chasing it down.

I did look it up when you started this and I learned a ton of shit about suicide but could find no hard data linking it social media.

Just some selected links. The first two have good stat data, the second two are more news stories to sell ads but there is some data if you dig it out, but even there the cause of 9 of 10 is mental health issues. You could try and argue social media exacerbates the issue, but then what doesn’t without help really. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6630a6.htm

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/02/07/preventing-suicide-teen-deaths-rise-but-we-know-how-fight-back-kelly-posner-column/305206002/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/03/19/teen-suicide-soaring-do-spotty-mental-health-and-addiction-treatment-share-blame/428148002/

< 1 2