Super Bowl

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21692
Joined  11-03-2007

04 February 2019 07:24

I realize that I am in a distinct minority, but I enjoyed the Super Bowl (great defense on both teams), was happy that the Pats won, don’t hate Brady and Belichick, didn’t think that Adam Levine sucked, and agree that Julian Edelman was the MVP.  So there.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

04 February 2019 08:58

It’s hard for me to get past the brain trauma incurring during every play.  I recently fell and hurt my hip and wrist.  So I also wince at the damage caused by continual falls, tumbles, and collisions on the players’ bodies.  A brutal sport, helmets, pads, and $$$ notwithstanding.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21692
Joined  11-03-2007

04 February 2019 09:38

hannahtoo - 04 February 2019 08:58 AM

It’s hard for me to get past the brain trauma incurring during every play.  I recently fell and hurt my hip and wrist.  So I also wince at the damage caused by continual falls, tumbles, and collisions on the players’ bodies.  A brutal sport, helmets, pads, and $$$ notwithstanding.

It is brutal, but they willingly play knowing this, they get paid well, and the NFL is at least trying to do something about the brain trauma.

hannahtoo

hannahtoo
Total Posts:  7176
Joined  15-05-2009

04 February 2019 12:08

American football is one of those crazy dangerous sports that would never be sanctioned now if it weren’t a long-standing tradition.  I mean, men choose to run in front of bulls in Pamplona for fun and glory, but that doesn’t mean it is a wise choice. 

An average pro-football career is 3.3-6 years.  Yes, a man can make significant bucks in those few years.  But is it enough, considering the wear and tear and long-term repercussions of all the injuries?  Think of yourself running top speed and then twisting and falling on your side.  How long would you be laid up?  Now imagine doing that multiple times per day for years.  I’d say choosing a non-impact sport for a college scholarship would be a much better decision for a big, fast, strong guy.

But hey, I know I’m in the minority with my weird notions.

[ Edited: 04 February 2019 12:10 by hannahtoo]

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15885
Joined  17-12-2006

04 February 2019 13:50

Was hoping the Rams would win, sort of a mirroring since the first Pats win was against the Rams when Kurt Warner was QB and Brady was the new kid on the block. And yes, great defense on both sides. Noted that lots of the commercials were for other CBS programs, could be they had trouble selling advertising time.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1321
Joined  01-11-2014

04 February 2019 16:10

I’m not a sports fan, but nonetheless, I watched the entire Super Bowl because my home town team, the Rams, were playing in it. It’s the first Super Bowl I’ve watched all the way through in decades. Both teams were great defensively. The Patriots just played better.  I didn’t have enough emotional involvement in the game to become upset when the Rams lost.

One of the ads during the Super Bowl did piss me off, however. It’s the one where Jeff Bridges reprised his role as “The Dude” from the Big Lebowski. I’ve always liked that silly movie and was disappointed when Bridges sold out the Dude to advertiser Stella Artois beer.

Very un-Dude like, Jeff.

It must have been a very big paycheck. You can buy a whole lot of White Russians with it.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7686
Joined  22-02-2014

04 February 2019 18:43

i thought it was exciting. good D is fun to watch. i also would have preferred the Rams, but no big investment.

i liked the beer, corn syrup ad.
i liked the washington post ad. i felt it poked trump in the eye.

i like the twilight zone promo.

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9663
Joined  20-10-2006

04 February 2019 23:14

EN - 04 February 2019 07:24 AM

I realize that I am in a distinct minority, but I enjoyed the Super Bowl (great defense on both teams), was happy that the Pats won, don’t hate Brady and Belichick, didn’t think that Adam Levine sucked, and agree that Julian Edelman was the MVP.  So there.

The only thing on which we agree is Edelman as MVP.  Otherwise the game was a snoozer, and Maroon 5 looked like a karaoke act.  Maybe the half-time show expectations have gotten out of hand.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7135
Joined  15-02-2007

05 February 2019 08:19

I don’t enjoy football.  Hockey, on the other hand…