#148- Jack Dorsey

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6337
Joined  22-02-2005

05 February 2019 09:20

In this episode of the podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Jack Dorsey about how he manages his dual CEO roles at Square and Twitter, the role that Twitter places in journalism, how it’s different from other social media, what makes a conversation healthy, the logic by which Twitter suspends people, the argument for kicking Trump off the platform, Jack’s practice of meditation, and other topics.

#148- Jack Dorsey

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

Thirdwaver

Thirdwaver
Total Posts:  1
Joined  05-02-2019

05 February 2019 11:30

I’m sorry to say this but Sam went way too easy on Dorsey about Trump. Trump has literally stopped doing press conferences and daily briefings because he doesn’t want to answer questions and he doesn’t need to put himself in situations where he needs to answer questions because he has Twitter as a one-way megaphone. A majority of the news I read is focused on tweets from him. I don’t care about Dorsey’s dumb one-off example of someone mistakenly reporting something he said as a tweet.  90/10 rule: Most of the news comes from his tweets. And honestly if there’s one person’s mind I don’t think we need to read every thought from, it’s Trump’s.

I’m not minimizing how difficult of a decision it would be to suspend his account. But what about a policy like: An elected official may use Twitter freely as an addition to non-twitter avenues for their constituents but may not use it as the sole method. As long as there are no daily briefings or press conferences, no tweets are allowed.

saintnick

saintnick
Total Posts:  9
Joined  16-08-2017

09 February 2019 10:24

I’m 2/3 way through this podcast conversation and find it fascinating. It’s given me renewed appreciation of the Twitter platform, which has just congratulated me on achieving 10 followers (in 10 years).
My personal opinion of the magic of success of Twitter is simply, that the 140 character limit, in most cases and certainly in mine, forces me to THINK before I tweet.
Of course this doesn’t go for everyone…

Mattt

Mattt
Total Posts:  3
Joined  13-01-2019

11 February 2019 03:59

Thirdwaver - 05 February 2019 11:30 AM

I don’t care about Dorsey’s dumb one-off example of someone mistakenly reporting something he said as a tweet.  90/10 rule: Most of the news comes from his tweets.

I found the general policy exemption, based on news worthiness lame.  That would literally enable any leader say anything, and the more extreme the utterance, the more newsworthiness it would be.

lynmc

lynmc
Total Posts:  462
Joined  03-08-2014

26 February 2019 09:36

I found the discussion fascinating.  Dorsey’s explanation of deletion or censorship of twitter accounts doesn’t entirely hold water, in particular when it comes to complying with other countries’ censorship rules (he gave the example of China).  Twitter appears to be censoring accounts in the US at Israel’s behest: see

https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/twitter-enforcing-israeli-military-censorship