< 1 2

Books to Read to Learn How to Raise Kids

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7618
Joined  22-02-2014

10 February 2019 08:20

hannahtoo - 09 February 2019 06:52 PM

Let the kids explore in the outdoors, get dirty.  Give them opportunities to play at the seashore, plant in the garden, roast marshmallows on a campfire, see the Milky Way, row a boat, fly a kite, poke at tidepool animals, sleep in a tent, climb a tree.  Let them love nature, which is their natural home.  Research summer camps where they can hike, swim, sing songs, play capture the flag, and learn about the natural world.

Every area has local books written on places to take kids outdoors.  Short hikes, picnic spots, sandy beaches, etc.  Search out the regional nature center.

hoo-ray!!

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2732
Joined  19-01-2015

11 February 2019 07:17

There are a lot of parenting lesson that you won’t find in books.

For example, NEVER play your favorite songs to your kids.
At best, they won’t like them.
But more likely, they will like them and, as a result, sing them horribly and constantly, making you wish you never heard the song in the first place.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3301
Joined  21-10-2016

11 February 2019 13:13

Twissel - 11 February 2019 07:17 AM

There are a lot of parenting lesson that you won’t find in books.

For example, NEVER play your favorite songs to your kids.
At best, they won’t like them.
But more likely, they will like them and, as a result, sing them horribly and constantly, making you wish you never heard the song in the first place.

Lol.

I remember my father saying (humorously) that you spend the first three years teaching your kids to talk and the next twenty trying to get them to shut up.  Heh, I’m guessing he didn’t love everything we had to say.

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  483
Joined  28-04-2017

27 February 2019 11:38

I can’t recommend any specific books but…...

Read up on the health effects of breastfeeding (length of time, and the effects of non-breastfeeding)
Read up on which nutrient dense foods are recommended for pregnant mothers
Read up on the research about the effects of spanking
Figure out how you’re going to handle your child’s immense desire to reward themselves (through you)
Figure out how to maximize free unstructured play for the child
Figure the best way to expose your child to a variety of fields/hobbies
Don’t use your child as a drug (don’t let your their ego attachment to you inflate yours)
Face the fact that your child may be different from you before they’re born
Accept that your past is your past and the child’s life is their own - you’re only borrowing it

BAM no books required.  And all of these should be done before anyone has kids, and discussed by both parents.  We’re living in the Information Age, people have no excuse for being ignorant about parenting.

< 1 2