< 1 2

Books to Read to Learn How to Raise Kids

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7206
Joined  22-02-2014

10 February 2019 08:20

hannahtoo - 09 February 2019 06:52 PM

Let the kids explore in the outdoors, get dirty.  Give them opportunities to play at the seashore, plant in the garden, roast marshmallows on a campfire, see the Milky Way, row a boat, fly a kite, poke at tidepool animals, sleep in a tent, climb a tree.  Let them love nature, which is their natural home.  Research summer camps where they can hike, swim, sing songs, play capture the flag, and learn about the natural world.

Every area has local books written on places to take kids outdoors.  Short hikes, picnic spots, sandy beaches, etc.  Search out the regional nature center.

hoo-ray!!

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2617
Joined  19-01-2015

11 February 2019 07:17

There are a lot of parenting lesson that you won’t find in books.

For example, NEVER play your favorite songs to your kids.
At best, they won’t like them.
But more likely, they will like them and, as a result, sing them horribly and constantly, making you wish you never heard the song in the first place.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  2879
Joined  21-10-2016

11 February 2019 13:13

Twissel - 11 February 2019 07:17 AM

There are a lot of parenting lesson that you won’t find in books.

For example, NEVER play your favorite songs to your kids.
At best, they won’t like them.
But more likely, they will like them and, as a result, sing them horribly and constantly, making you wish you never heard the song in the first place.

Lol.

I remember my father saying (humorously) that you spend the first three years teaching your kids to talk and the next twenty trying to get them to shut up.  Heh, I’m guessing he didn’t love everything we had to say.

< 1 2