The Uninhabitable Earth

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8432
Joined  20-02-2006

02 March 2019 12:07

The Uninhabitable Earth

I saw the author, David Wallace-Wells, interviewed on PBS last night.  You can read his first chapter here - https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change.

In a related topic posted by Icehorse, GAD says that children don’t understand global warming.  Thinking of my own experience as a young kid (age 2 to 8, 1939-45) during WW2 I would agree that little kids just take cues from their parents.  I was issued a gas mask, I watched the air-raid shelters being built, we had blackout curtains on the windows, for several weeks when I was 4 we were awakened around 2 A.M. by the wailing of air-raid sirens (one was attached right outside our window designed to awaken the entire neighborhood - a horrible sound), staggering down the stairs to the shelter with my own small suitcase and cardboard box containing the gas mask, my father in his ARP uniform (Air-Raid Patrol) going out through the gas curtain and blackout curtain into the night, the interminable long wait sitting on a hard bench, finally a distant sound I’d never heard before - more than 300 German bombers passing right over us at high altitude to avoid the barrage balloons and anti-aircraft fire, the thudding vibration of the anti-aircraft batteries, the whining roar of Spitfires and Hurricanes, then the sound of the bombardment at Clydebank.  Then the bombers heading back to France, or wherever they came from, and finally the wail of the ‘all clear’ siren.  My father’s hair thinned and turned gray in a short time, (maybe hastened by our limited diet exacerbated by the U-boats sinking all the supply ships that Britain depended on).  I even remember Churchill talking on the BBC during dinner.  -  Yet, I’m sure I didn’t really grasp the situation like the adults

The tragedy, as far as this topic is concerned, is that most U.S. adults don’t grasp the situation either.  The Uninhabitable Earth is like an air-raid siren, but everyone is sleeping through it.  A hoax?  There are no shelters, no gas masks . . . no speeches from the President to prepare us and give us the will to fight the fast approaching destruction.  Just another false alarm?  We need better radar before getting out of bed? 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/02/donald-trump-cpac-speech-democrats-green-new-deal-bullshit

Basking in adulation at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), the president said: “You know I’m totally off script right now and this is how I got elected, by being off script. And if we don’t go off script, our country’s in big trouble, folks, because we have to get it back.”

He then took aim at a Democratic proposal to tackle climate change by adopting a sweeping “Green New Deal”, attacked by Republicans as expensive and bound to curtail cars and planes. He said sarcastically: “I think the new green deal, or whatever the hell they call it. The Green New Deal, right? I encourage it. I think it’s really something that they should promote.”

To laughter, Trump continued, mockingly: “No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Let’s hurry up. Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’”

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause.

[ Edited: 02 March 2019 12:32 by unsmoked]

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

03 March 2019 12:03

Editorial Reviews

“The Uninhabitable Earth is the most terrifying book I have ever read. Its subject is climate change, and its method is scientific, but its mode is Old Testament. The book is a meticulously documented, white-knuckled tour through the cascading catastrophes that will soon engulf our warming planet. . . . Wallace-Wells’s imagine-the-worst approach has become prescient. . . . I read it with an unfolding mix of horror and hopelessness, the way you might learn of a terminal diagnosis that affects yourself and your family and everyone else you might ever hope to know.” —Farhad Manjoo, The New York Times

“Most of us know the gist, if not the details, of the climate change crisis. And yet it is almost impossible to sustain strong feelings about it. David Wallace-Wells has now provided the details, and with writing that is not only clear and forceful, but often imaginative and even funny, he has found a way to make the information deeply felt. This is a profound book, which simultaneously makes me terrified and hopeful about the future, ashamed and proud of being a human.” —Jonathan Safran Foer, author of Everything is Illuminated

“David Wallace-Wells argues that the impacts of climate change will be much graver than most people realize, and he’s right. The Uninhabitable Earth is a timely and provocative work.” —Elizabeth Kolbert, author of The Sixth Extinction

“One of the very few books about our climate change emergency that doesn’t sugarcoat the horror.” —William T. Vollmann, author of No Immediate Danger

“Powerfully argued. . . . A masterly analysis of why—with a world of solutions—we choose doom.” —Nature

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17386
Joined  15-02-2008

03 March 2019 12:30

unsmoked - 03 March 2019 12:03 PM

Editorial Reviews

“The Uninhabitable Earth is the most terrifying book I have ever read. Its subject is climate change, and its method is scientific, but its mode is Old Testament. The book is a meticulously documented, white-knuckled tour through the cascading catastrophes that will soon engulf our warming planet. . . . Wallace-Wells’s imagine-the-worst approach has become prescient. . . . I read it with an unfolding mix of horror and hopelessness, the way you might learn of a terminal diagnosis that affects yourself and your family and everyone else you might ever hope to know.” —Farhad Manjoo, The New York Times

“Most of us know the gist, if not the details, of the climate change crisis. And yet it is almost impossible to sustain strong feelings about it. David Wallace-Wells has now provided the details, and with writing that is not only clear and forceful, but often imaginative and even funny, he has found a way to make the information deeply felt. This is a profound book, which simultaneously makes me terrified and hopeful about the future, ashamed and proud of being a human.” —Jonathan Safran Foer, author of Everything is Illuminated

“David Wallace-Wells argues that the impacts of climate change will be much graver than most people realize, and he’s right. The Uninhabitable Earth is a timely and provocative work.” —Elizabeth Kolbert, author of The Sixth Extinction

“One of the very few books about our climate change emergency that doesn’t sugarcoat the horror.” —William T. Vollmann, author of No Immediate Danger

“Powerfully argued. . . . A masterly analysis of why—with a world of solutions—we choose doom.” —Nature

It’s a worthless book useful only for scare tactics. If scare tactics worked theists with their eternity hell would actually do different things then everyone else, but they don’t and act just like everyone else. 

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1216
Joined  01-11-2014

04 March 2019 00:24

Anything that interferes with the god that CPAC worships — money —is of no importance.

Global warming and the fate of life on this planet is trivial compared to the amount in one’s bank account.

This has been Trump’s philosophy from the start. CPAC and Trump are on the same page.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

04 March 2019 11:10

GAD - 03 March 2019 12:30 PM
unsmoked - 03 March 2019 12:03 PM

Editorial Reviews

It’s a worthless book useful only for scare tactics. If scare tactics worked theists with their eternity hell would actually do different things then everyone else, but they don’t and act just like everyone else.

Theists don’t act like people who are concerned about man-made global warming and what it’s going to do to the planet in the next 50 years.  They don’t care because they believe that Jesus is coming soon and it’s all going to end anyway.  They can fiddle while Rome burns.  Or, as Cheshire Cat just said, they can make money while Rome burns.  Why else would the Lord put coal and under our feet?  ‘This world is not their home, they’re just passing through.’  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhnXMCqZrdg