Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Is Coming for Your Hamburgers! (not)

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7305
Joined  22-02-2014

05 March 2019 08:10

Nice piece in the New Yorker about AOC. (Which the forum is not allowing me to link to :(  )

The journalist describes how AOC is shifting the Overton window without using the phrase Overton window.

[ Edited: 05 March 2019 08:14 by icehorse]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  01-11-2014

05 March 2019 10:18

Good article.

It’s very telling, that a 29 year old, newly-minted Congresswoman of only two months, has become the primary focus of the right wing hate machine. This tells me that they are terrified of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and that her ideas have mass appeal: Medicare for all; a seventy-per-cent tax rate on income above ten million dollars; a guaranteed living wage; and a national mobilization program to curb global warming.

She may be the tip of the spear aimed straight at the heart of the radical right wing.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8271
Joined  20-02-2006

05 March 2019 12:43

Cheshire Cat - 05 March 2019 10:18 AM

Good article.

It’s very telling, that a 29 year old, newly-minted Congresswoman of only two months, has become the primary focus of the right wing hate machine. This tells me that they are terrified of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and that her ideas have mass appeal: Medicare for all; a seventy-per-cent tax rate on income above ten million dollars; a guaranteed living wage; and a national mobilization program to curb global warming.

She may be the tip of the spear aimed straight at the heart of the radical right wing.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-is-coming-for-your-hamburgers

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

05 March 2019 12:45

icehorse - 05 March 2019 08:10 AM

Nice piece in the New Yorker about AOC. (Which the forum is not allowing me to link to :(  )

The journalist describes how AOC is shifting the Overton window without using the phrase Overton window.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-is-coming-for-your-hamburgers

Here are opening paragraphs in this article:

“Sebastian Gorka, late of the Trump Administration, stood before the annual gathering of the Conservative Political Action Conference last week and made plain the inner frenzy of a party that must place its hopes for 2020 on a President who had just been described before a congressional committee as “a racist,” “a con man,” and “a cheat.” Hence the rhetorical smoke bombs. Wild-eyed Democrats are coming! Gorka declared, “They want to take your pickup truck! They want to rebuild your home! They want to take away your hamburgers! This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved!”

The Stalinist nightmare that Gorka had on his mind is the Green New Deal, a still rough proposal that calls on the U.S. government to come to the belated rescue of the planet with the same sense of urgency that it displayed in rescuing the economy during the Great Depression. To Gorka, such a proposal is a communist “watermelon”: “green on the outside, deep, deep red communist on the inside.”

The President, who dismisses climate change as “a Chinese hoax,” also waxed derisive at cpac. “New Green Deal or whatever they hell they call it . . . I encourage it,” he said caustically, in a sweaty, two-hour rant on Saturday. “I think it’s really something Democrats should promote. . . . No planes! No energy! When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’ ”

The focus of this fear campaign, the nexus of all danger, is a member of Congress who has been in office for two months: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who, at twenty-nine, represents parts of the Bronx and Queens. With Senator Ed Markey, a Democrat from Massachusetts, she is a co-sponsor of the Green New Deal. Because she questions our habits of fossil-fuel consumption and industrial agriculture, her opponents reason, she can’t possibly be trying to head off global catastrophe. She just wants to steal your Chevy Colorado and your Big Mac.”

[ Edited: 06 March 2019 10:10 by unsmoked]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

07 March 2019 13:50

I’ll give you my Big Mac when you take it from my cold, dead hands.

unsmoked

unsmoked
Joined  20-02-2006

07 March 2019 14:13

Cheshire Cat - 07 March 2019 01:50 PM

What if Burger King offers you a bigger Big Mac?  https://www.today.com/food/burger-king-just-unleashed-fire-its-big-mac-copycat-t146988

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

07 March 2019 15:06

unsmoked - 07 March 2019 02:13 PM
Cheshire Cat - 07 March 2019 01:50 PM

What if Burger King offers you a bigger Big Mac?  https://www.today.com/food/burger-king-just-unleashed-fire-its-big-mac-copycat-t146988

Yum, yum.

https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html