#150- The Map of Misunderstanding A Conversation with Daniel Kahneman

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6423
Joined  22-02-2005

12 March 2019 15:47

In this episode of the Making Sense podcast, Sam Harris speaks with Daniel Kahneman at the Beacon Theatre in NYC. They discuss the replication crisis in science, System 1 and System 2, where intuitions reliably fail, expert intuitions, the power of framing, moral illusions, anticipated regret, the asymmetry between threats and opportunities, the utility of worrying, removing obstacles to wanted behaviors, the remembering self vs the experiencing self, improving the quality of gossip, and other topics.

#150- The Map of Misunderstanding A Conversation with Daniel Kahneman

This thread is for listeners’ comments.

alpha60

alpha60
Total Posts:  5
Joined  27-07-2017

12 March 2019 21:49

So as not to muck up the forum with another thread, i’ll put this here.

I attended the Beacon theater event, bought a Meet & Greet pass.

First, Kahneman is a genius, but not much of a talker.

Second, maybe I just wasn’t aware what the meet & greet is all about. But, if that’s what it’s supposed to be, I think you are moving in the wrong direction - unless the direction is pure monetization while treating us like photo-obsessed cattle. 

It’s way too much Sam. It’s on par with the angelic white backdrop from the Islam movie you let yourself get into.

So, getting in the venue took an hour. Security etc - well, ok.

Then after the show, we waited for the venue to clear, 15m for that. Then,  security herded us around the venue - stand up - move here - sit down - no stand up again and stand here - for 30min cluelssly and rudely. It was so against everything that i want to experience paying hundreds of $ to come to one of your events. And that’s after getting screwed on the Lincoln Center event…

Then we realized we were queuing to get a photo op with you. Really - that’s what we’ve come to? I pay $ to get a photo with you?

Akward, shallow, intellectually hollow.

The world doesn’t need another star.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6830
Joined  08-12-2006

13 March 2019 18:47

Great episode! One of the best, in my opinion. Kahneman is sharp as a whip, with a dry sense of humor.