Chris Hedges: Democrats may well lose to Trump again, and Bernie Sanders is “naive”

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1183
Joined  01-11-2014

14 March 2019 13:52

The title of this thread is from an article posted on Salon.com today, by Chauncey DeVega.

For the most part, I’ve been in awe of Chris Hedges since I discovered him only within the past year or so. I think he has an almost frightening clarity of insight into the collective unconscious of the United States of America. I think he understands and articulates the mental framework of the Republican far right, and the Christian far right, better than anyone.

He also has a piercing, unflinching perspective on the Democratic party, and speaks about how it sold out the middle class and poor pursuing neoliberalism and by chasing corporate campaign dollars. He speaks of America’s true rulers, the plutocracy, and how they’ve gamed the system to their benefit. And he sees Donald Trump as a symptom, but not a cause, of the decline of the American Empire.

This interview touches upon all Hedges’ main themes which is why I think this is such an exceptional interview of him. It is also a rare interview of a man who has been blackballed by the main stream media and their corporate owners. They probably find his ideas dangerous.

http://tinyurl.com/y33qkdc4

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8271
Joined  20-02-2006

15 March 2019 12:50

Cheshire Cat - 14 March 2019 01:52 PM

The title of this thread is from an article posted on Salon.com today, by Chauncey DeVega.

For the most part, I’ve been in awe of Chris Hedges since I discovered him only within the past year or so. I think he has an almost frightening clarity of insight into the collective unconscious of the United States of America. I think he understands and articulates the mental framework of the Republican far right, and the Christian far right, better than anyone.

He also has a piercing, unflinching perspective on the Democratic party, and speaks about how it sold out the middle class and poor pursuing neoliberalism and by chasing corporate campaign dollars. He speaks of America’s true rulers, the plutocracy, and how they’ve gamed the system to their benefit. And he sees Donald Trump as a symptom, but not a cause, of the decline of the American Empire.

This interview touches upon all Hedges’ main themes which is why I think this is such an exceptional interview of him. It is also a rare interview of a man who has been blackballed by the main stream media and their corporate owners. They probably find his ideas dangerous.

Hedges, and Bill Moyers interview of Nick Turse on PBS, called my attention to Turse’s Kill Anything That Moves - The Real American War in Vietnam - a very useful supplement to Ken Burns and Lynn Novick’s documentary about that war.

http://americanempireproject.com/kill-anything-that-moves/ 

Hedges wrote:

“Nick Turse’s Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam is not only one of the most important books ever written about the Vietnam conflict but provides readers with an unflinching account of the nature of modern industrial warfare. It captures, as few books on war do, the utter depravity of industrial violence—what the sociologist James William Gibson calls “technowar.” It exposes the sickness of the hyper-masculine military culture, the intoxicating rush and addiction of violence, and the massive government spin machine that lies daily to a gullible public and uses tactics of intimidation, threats and smear campaigns to silence dissenters.”

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

15 March 2019 13:29

Yes, Hedges knows all about war and the lies involved in justifying it; he was a New York Times foreign correspondent for 15 years. He’s been in war zones and has seen the true cost of war. He was fired from the Times in 2003 because he spoke out against the Iraq War. He can’t be bought or intimidated, he speaks truth to power and is unafraid of the consequences. That’s what makes him dangerous.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6588
Joined  08-12-2006

16 March 2019 12:20

Cheshire Cat - 14 March 2019 01:52 PM

The first 25 minutes of this podcast consists of DeVega’s strident ranting and rambling. Hedges, when he finally comes on, makes some good points (and some not-so-good ones). But DeVega, who I never heard of before, is awful.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Joined  01-11-2014

16 March 2019 12:43

Antisocialdarwinist - 16 March 2019 12:20 PM

The first 25 minutes of this podcast consists of DeVega’s strident ranting and rambling. Hedges, when he finally comes on, makes some good points (and some not-so-good ones). But DeVega, who I never heard of before, is awful.

Yes, he is awful. Like you, I listened to his podcast once, but probably won’t again.

He’s palatable in a written format which is why I linked to the article and not his podcast.