Unwitting Propaganda and Islam vs. Human Rights

Hesperado

Hesperado
Total Posts:  117
Joined  19-05-2015

04 November 2019 20:51

icehorse - 03 November 2019 07:59 AM
Hesperado - 02 November 2019 11:42 PM

“So it’s not about a debate between me and you. It’s more about the many experiences I’ve had debating Islamic apologists.”

Who are these Islamic apologists? Muslims or the non-Muslims of the West who continue to defend Islam? If both, what percentage would you allot each in terms of importance for debate?

I’m not sure I understand how the question is relevant? I think Islam should go away entirely or at least be heavily reformed (beyond recognition). So I debate apologists of all stripes.

Then I don’t get why you expended so much time and effort in the past tilting against me; especially as I don’t recall you saying back then that the main thing on your mind was not my arguments/positions, but just refining your skills in debate against Islamic apologists. You sure seemed to be opposed to a lot of specifics regarding my stance, as I recall.

Traces Elk

Traces Elk
Total Posts:  5701
Joined  27-09-2006

05 November 2019 06:38

Hesperado - 04 November 2019 08:46 PM

“I think your stance doesn’t stand up to debate because you won’t say what you’re defending (except, you know, “Western Civ”)”

Oh? Have you read enough of my essays….

What could be more important to a human being than reading “enough” of your essays? If it’s necessary to read tens of thousands of your priceless words in order to figure out if you’re defending a thesis of some kind, you’re just one more verbosely stentorian political philosopher, a dime a gross on the internet.

Hesperado - 04 November 2019 08:46 PM

Anyway, defending a society and its progress and freedoms from destruction, along with countless lives mass-murdered seems self-evident enough in this context. ... [snip] I’ve already had a much more substantive chocolate mazurka).

Yeah, OK. I get that. Your preference is for a society with more freedoms as opposed to fewer. Mine, too, as long as we don’t write a fat check for freedoms, but one that somehow stops short of welcoming questions about whatever niggling concept of “progress” you’re pulling out of your arse. You could have saved yourself a few words on all those essays I didn’t (apparently) read “enough” of, in order to express yourself in somewhat less grandiose terms.

[ Edited: 05 November 2019 06:55 by Traces Elk]

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7708
Joined  22-02-2014

05 November 2019 17:05

Hesperado - 04 November 2019 08:51 PM
icehorse - 03 November 2019 07:59 AM
Hesperado - 02 November 2019 11:42 PM

“So it’s not about a debate between me and you. It’s more about the many experiences I’ve had debating Islamic apologists.”

Who are these Islamic apologists? Muslims or the non-Muslims of the West who continue to defend Islam? If both, what percentage would you allot each in terms of importance for debate?

I’m not sure I understand how the question is relevant? I think Islam should go away entirely or at least be heavily reformed (beyond recognition). So I debate apologists of all stripes.

Then I don’t get why you expended so much time and effort in the past tilting against me; especially as I don’t recall you saying back then that the main thing on your mind was not my arguments/positions, but just refining your skills in debate against Islamic apologists. You sure seemed to be opposed to a lot of specifics regarding my stance, as I recall.

I don’t recall the exchanges you’re referring to. If you want to find a link or two, I would be happy to clarify.

That said, if i had to guess, I’d guess that while we share a distain for Islam, I probably found flaws in your arguments. But again, that’s just a guess.

‹ First  < 3 4 5