Freedom

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5057
Joined  28-05-2009

23 March 2019 00:58

Most people I converse with express an explicit or implied appreciation of freedom. Many people seem to view it as an unalloyed good or first principle. I think the founding documents of the USA reflect such an attitude. I love freedom as a concept and as an experience.

What it is it though? Do its various connotations have some important unity? I’d prefer personal reflections here over google searches or dictionary entries. 

At first pass it seems like the lack of constraint. It also seems like the maximization of choice. In practical experience I think these two things are often in competition. Further, both of these attributes are essentially external and for this reason might miss something critical.

I have no conclusions but currently I feel like freedom is mainly, mostly and most often a matter of disposition. It’s about attention and resourcefulness and mindfulness. It’s also about circumstance and resources but to a lesser degree.

Thanks!

Jb8989

Jb8989
Total Posts:  6312
Joined  31-01-2012

23 March 2019 04:02

Brick Bungalow - 23 March 2019 12:58 AM

Most people I converse with express an explicit or implied appreciation of freedom. Many people seem to view it as an unalloyed good or first principle. I think the founding documents of the USA reflect such an attitude. I love freedom as a concept and as an experience.

What it is it though? Do its various connotations have some important unity? I’d prefer personal reflections here over google searches or dictionary entries. 

At first pass it seems like the lack of constraint. It also seems like the maximization of choice. In practical experience I think these two things are often in competition. Further, both of these attributes are essentially external and for this reason might miss something critical.

I have no conclusions but currently I feel like freedom is mainly, mostly and most often a matter of disposition. It’s about attention and resourcefulness and mindfulness. It’s also about circumstance and resources but to a lesser degree.

Thanks!

I think you hit the nail on the head. Even if one lived the most boring seditantry life, there’s something about the choice to get up and explore the world that nobody wants gone.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7425
Joined  22-02-2014

23 March 2019 09:22

The first two things that came to mind:

1 - It’s possible to have too many choices, the “tyranny of choice” is a real thing that causes stress.
2 - I think one aspect of freedom is the ability to live in a way that’s consistent with what one values.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6924
Joined  15-02-2007

24 March 2019 07:23

icehorse - 23 March 2019 09:22 AM

2 - I think one aspect of freedom is the ability to live in a way that’s consistent with what one values.

/raised-eyebrow

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  21-10-2016

24 March 2019 08:11

In addition to freedom of movement and autonomy in our personal lives, I think that what many people who have been fortunate to have been born in free countries often take for granted is the freedom from fear.  Fear of arrest or censure for criticizing government or exercising freedom of expression, both privately and publicly.  Fear and anxiety that results from the inevitable conflicts and violence that often arise in non-free countries.

Since freedom is contingent on the right to vote in fair elections, it is discouraging that so many citizens do not exercise this right that so many others have fought and died for.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2705
Joined  19-01-2015

24 March 2019 08:28

your freedom is inversely proportional to your potential impact on the world.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

24 March 2019 14:29

icehorse - 23 March 2019 09:22 AM

1 - It’s possible to have too many choices, the “tyranny of choice” is a real thing that causes stress.

You hear some psychologists talking in terms of decision overload and decision fatigue.

Jb8989

Jb8989
Joined  31-01-2012

24 March 2019 14:46

Jan_CAN - 24 March 2019 08:11 AM

In addition to freedom of movement and autonomy in our personal lives, I think that what many people who have been fortunate to have been born in free countries often take for granted is the freedom from fear.  Fear of arrest or censure for criticizing government or exercising freedom of expression, both privately and publicly.  Fear and anxiety that results from the inevitable conflicts and violence that often arise in non-free countries.

Since freedom is contingent on the right to vote in fair elections, it is discouraging that so many citizens do not exercise this right that so many others have fought and died for.

Constitutional free speech, assembly and press were built on the idea that challenging governments prevented tyranny. I always thought it was a genius concept.

Fear is a basic emotion. Hesitation amplified is apprehension, apprehension amped up is fear, and fear on steroids is terror.  Politician’s make hay with these guys.The most successful one’s know, even if they’re not aware of it, that the opposite of fear is anger, not love, but getting people to conflate fear with admiration = votes.  Get caught or lose trust and you automatically get anger.

[ Edited: 24 March 2019 14:48 by Jb8989]

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  297
Joined  18-12-2018

27 March 2019 09:35

In the U.S., we don’t have complete freedom, but we do have liberty.  To live under a law is to not have freedom.

I believe the word freedom is chosen over liberty often because freedom is the ideal.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7425
Joined  22-02-2014

27 March 2019 14:42

TwoSeven1 - 27 March 2019 09:35 AM

In the U.S., we don’t have complete freedom, but we do have liberty.  To live under a law is to not have freedom.

I believe the word freedom is chosen over liberty often because freedom is the ideal.

Let me see if I can rephrase this and catch your drift: On the continuum, absolute freedom is at one end, and liberty is a compromise between absolute freedom and living in a society with laws. correct? If so, maybe that’s a useful distinction.

Perhaps relatedly is the idea that freedoms are zero sum. When one freedom is granted, it usually comes at the expense of something else. So my freedom of expression might come at the expense of someone else’s “freedom to not be offended”.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  297
Joined  18-12-2018

27 March 2019 15:51

icehorse - 27 March 2019 02:42 PM
TwoSeven1 - 27 March 2019 09:35 AM

Let me see if I can rephrase this and catch your drift: On the continuum, absolute freedom is at one end, and liberty is a compromise between absolute freedom and living in a society with laws. correct? If so, maybe that’s a useful distinction.

Perhaps relatedly is the idea that freedoms are zero sum. When one freedom is granted, it usually comes at the expense of something else. So my freedom of expression might come at the expense of someone else’s “freedom to not be offended”.

Yeah, you could describe it that way.

I think the most important distinction is directly related to laws.  Total freedom requires no constraints, while liberty is a term to describe a state of being within constraints.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5057
Joined  28-05-2009

28 March 2019 23:17

Thanks.

My current thinking is that freedom in its different connotations is actually different things. Or, rather the differences are more significant than the unity. At least for the organization of my priorities.

Freedom from obligation and constraint are more something I imagine I want. Freedom to participate in social activities and consume goods that require a majority to observe certain obligations and constraints are what I really want. At least this the desire that my actions seem to communicate.