More Trumpism in the Western Hemisphere’s 3rd largest country - Brazil

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8356
Joined  20-02-2006

28 March 2019 10:38

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/01/jair-bolsonaros-southern-strategy

“The authoritarian leaders taking power around the world share a vocabulary of intolerance, insult, and menace. Jair Bolsonaro, who was elected President of Brazil on promises to end crime, right the economy, and “make Brazil great,” has spent his career gleefully offending women, black people, environmentalists, and gays. “I would be incapable of loving a homosexual son,” he has said. “I would prefer that my son die in an accident than show up with some guy with a mustache.” As a national legislator, he declared one political rival, Maria do Rosário, “not worth raping.” Immigrants are “scum.” The United Nations is “a bunch of communists.” He supports the torture of drug dealers, the use of firing squads, and the empowerment of a hyper-aggressive police force. “A policeman who doesn’t kill,” he has said, “isn’t a policeman.”

Read more in article.

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7334
Joined  22-02-2014

30 March 2019 08:10

I’m sure this will end well.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6757
Joined  15-02-2007

30 March 2019 08:41

There are some ‘conservative’ politicians in canada that seem sympathetic too.  Don’t think they will take over the parliament, but they exist…

Quadrewple

Quadrewple
Total Posts:  469
Joined  28-04-2017

09 April 2019 14:22

Why do people who advocate making society 1 pendulum as heavy as possible, and swinging as fast as possible complain so much about politics?