1 2 3 >  Last ›

A Hateful Thread

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

07 April 2019 20:47

I am having a problem with all of this. I’m not being a whiny admin here, just a whiny poster. For the sake of the forum, for the sake of all forums, I will do what no one wants to do, including me. I will concede and admit all. I am a fake.

I seethe with hate. My reasoning can never be linear because it is, without exception, misguided by deep emotions that I deny. I crave attention and will do anything, and I mean anything, to get some. I have received decades of advice and it is time that I took it in. Personal autonomy has not served me well. What I had foolishly thought of as integrity was only my base instincts bleating to be satisfied. Surrender is long overdue. I am prepared to cherish this moment of capitulation and liberty.

My sword is snapped in half and I’m ready to lay it at the feet of… well, there’s a muddle. It is a choice that must be made carefully. How do I make it when so disabled by hate and cravings? A brief review is in order. What does all that advice add up to? The sum total should be me. How simple.

I should be grateful for all those times in the past when I was offered a chance to surrender to the truth about myself. Those were giving, sharing and un-shouted moments from kind folks who took time out their busy lives to set me straight. Being born an Aryan, I have a natural hatred of Jews. I know that God is real and I hate Him for all the misfortunes in my life. I know that trioon is nonsense and a bluff to satisfy my craving for attention. I hate our current President so much I cannot think straight and it is obvious that I envy his wife and all his rich-guy stuff. My craving for power, which I am too weak to wield in real life, has turned this forum into gulag. My capitulation to foulness has turned it into a free-for-all. I am trying to make up for my failure to get into higher education (strange that I do not recall applying). Suggesting that trioon is what is behind the bell curve acknowledges the bell curve and reveals that I have a problem with non-whites. The problem, of course, is hate. Of course, I hate them. Non-whites and academics. Double hate for non-white academics. Bingo.

I’ll need some help putting all that together into the person I should be and unwittingly already am. I’m ready to hate all that hate in myself. The problem remains, to whom am I surrendering? Everybody? That’s not possible. It cannot be to anyone who has heard the same message that I have for the same reason that no one should surrender to me. Hate has reduced my brain activity to a clown show. I must shop for the exception.

What if I just ask for volunteers?

“Hello, I’m Mr. So-and-so and I recommend my view because I’m a fill-in-the-blank whose been to X and done Y.” I will consider all-comers. I need to fill this hole where my pretentious opinions used to be.

Once my choice is made, and having rid myself of myself, I can lead the way as a selfless example for other hate-crippled patrons to follow. It is an awesome responsibility. Some patrons show no fear of it and offer frequent reminders that they are upon a pedestal and then provide evidence that the view is poor from up there. Or maybe craning my neck at them has cut off my blood supply. I’ve gone full circle. The point was that I am not the judge of anything. This is more like jury duty.

Can we not grant a single shred of integrity… the slightest nuance of good intention to anyone who stands before the jury? Can’t we recognize when someone holds some awareness that the truth lies at the end of a path of sharable reasoning? Even if their path has taken them somewhere awful? We all know where the truth can be found if we don’t want to take it from someone. It is a path of reasoning. Do we still consider where we are to be along the way or have we stopped and built a home? Are we prepared to budge onward? The path has a steep incline… do we point out footholds or slice the rope when someone gets stuck?

If we keep doing the latter we might as well vote for trump ourselves. It is the MO of the other side to make the public square an intellectual express-lane checkout for single-glance verdicts. The goal is to generate hate for the process of examination, which will come in handy when our capacity to examine atrophies from lack of exercise. Then we will have to take it from our betters. What makes them better? They possess an established expertise at speaking to those with little capacity to examine and hence can see nothing but a foreboding darkness ahead on the path of reasoning.

Our side was once all about long-term thinking and establishing institutions that stood without human embodiment. Fortresses where broad, comprehensive and linear reasoning can safely run its course while slogan-wielding mobs pound at the door. Our modern egalitarian world of equality and fairness is a fantasy if there is no one left who can look long enough to see it.

The path will disappear into the fog as we all watch… sorry, follow, whatever King Pussygrab is inclined to do next.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15809
Joined  17-12-2006

07 April 2019 22:31

You definitely need to let Mario post on this thread, he will certainly have some advice for you and will likely present you with an option. 

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1281
Joined  01-11-2014

07 April 2019 23:57

Welcome to the human condition: ambiguity, self doubt, inner conflict.

I see nothing particularly unusual in this post. I see a self aware human being coming to terms with his personal limitations. Congratulations. This puts you way ahead on the bell curve. Most of us are sleep walking and never look in the mirror. That’s not you, Nhoj. Good for you.

Trump is a con man and imbecile, but he’s nothing new. History is full of Trumps. His followers are nothing new either. Sheep need to be led. Sometimes the ignorant clowns rule the earth. Bread and circuses. That’s doesn’t mean you have to join them. Quite the contrary. Your instincts are correct, just tone down the hate. Hate will only damage and blind you. Let it go. That’s all. Let it go.

You’re fine otherwise.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2735
Joined  19-01-2015

08 April 2019 00:47

I recommend bottling your hate now that you have an oversupply, so that you won’t run out when things start looking up.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1783
Joined  31-10-2015

08 April 2019 05:47

Nhoj Morley - 07 April 2019 08:47 PM

. . .

Can we not grant a single shred of integrity… the slightest nuance of good intention to anyone who stands before the jury? Can’t we recognize when someone holds some awareness that the truth lies at the end of a path of sharable reasoning? Even if their path has taken them somewhere awful? . . .

Sure we can. But do we actually need to?

As objectionable a president as Trump is for me, his most significant flaw is his obvious racism. I’m ashamed such a putrid social stance has apparently gone mainstream even though I didn’t vote for him. At this otherwise swell discussion forum, my shame on the issue resolves to muted disappointment. After all, why dwell on such negativity unless you can do something about it?

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17534
Joined  15-02-2008

08 April 2019 08:44

What I hate is haters who hate me for not hating what they hate.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  15-02-2007

08 April 2019 08:52

I hate liver.  It tastes like worm-sweat.

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 April 2019 09:00

Our side was once all about long-term thinking and establishing institutions that stood without human embodiment. Fortresses where broad, comprehensive and linear reasoning can safely run its course…

Far-thinking cannot exist in a pendulum-swing of political reaction.
Far-thinking cannot exist when budgets are only controlled for 4/8 year intervals.
Far-thinking cannot exist when the next CinC tears apart much of what the previous CinC built.
Far-thinking cannot exist when the social structure of a country is based on personal gain and greed instead of mutual support and community progress.

But… there is also risk in adopting political structures that are able to take on far reaching, long tail projects of civilization.  A country cannot build a great wonder of the world without the will to dedicate the resources and effort over the time required to achieve that goal. 

Much of modern localized politics is, IMHO, to fragmented and ‘polarized’ to see these limitations, let alone acknowledge the possible gains of some long-tail projects.  But I’m a blue-sky dreamer at heart.  And I hate that about myself some times.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15809
Joined  17-12-2006

08 April 2019 09:03

Jefe - 08 April 2019 08:52 AM

Everybody hates you
Nobody loves you
Better go eat some worms

Long slim slimy ones
Short fat juicy ones
Itsy bitsy fuzzy wuzzy worms

Jefe

Jefe
Joined  15-02-2007

08 April 2019 09:33

burt - 08 April 2019 09:03 AM
Jefe - 08 April 2019 08:52 AM

Everybody hates you
Nobody loves you

I know.  /cry

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3314
Joined  21-10-2016

08 April 2019 11:11

I’ll need some help putting all that together into the person I should be and unwittingly already am. I’m ready to hate all that hate in myself. The problem remains, to whom am I surrendering? Everybody? That’s not possible. It cannot be to anyone who has heard the same message that I have for the same reason that no one should surrender to me. Hate has reduced my brain activity to a clown show. I must shop for the exception.

I know the feeling in regards to hating the hate within myself.  As in hating Trump, but hate him I do and I’m not used to hating actual individual people; it’s just too hard to separate such a despicable person from all that he represents.  I’ve given up fighting this hate and now accept it as justified and reasonable.

Some of the anger that goes along with hate may serve a purpose though as what makes us truly angry can tell us something about ourselves and it’s not all bad.  It’s not a superficial or false indignation due to social pressure, but a real thing that indicates what we hold most dear.  As long as hate and anger doesn’t overwhelm.  I find some consolation by reminding myself that ‘this too shall pass’ and that shared anger properly directed can sometimes lead to positive change.  And on days when these efforts are less effective, to distract myself from over-thinking in any way possible.

[ Edited: 08 April 2019 11:20 by Jan_CAN]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 April 2019 11:58

Jan_CAN - 08 April 2019 11:11 AM

I know the feeling in regards to hating the hate within myself.  As in hating Trump, but hate him I do and I’m not used to hating actual individual people; it’s just too hard to separate such a despicable person from all that he represents.  I’ve given up fighting this hate and now accept it as justified and reasonable.

Some of the anger that goes along with hate may serve a purpose though as what makes us truly angry can tell us something about ourselves and it’s not all bad.  It’s not a superficial or false indignation due to social pressure, but a real thing that indicates what we hold most dear.  As long as hate and anger doesn’t overwhelm.  I find some consolation by reminding myself that ‘this too shall pass’ and that shared anger properly directed can sometimes lead to positive change.  And on days when these efforts are less effective, to distract myself from over-thinking in any way possible.

I don’t know whether he was going for irony, exaggeration, Onion-style mockery of convention, or something else, but it’s difficult to imagine a less hate-filled person than our faithful moderator.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

08 April 2019 13:34

That was a kind thing to say, nv. So, was that a mea culpa or heavy sarcasm?

One of the pluses of being an atheist is the freedom to reject the divinity of words. Our unfortunate theist friends must assume, since God has always used our vocabulary, that all of our words describe actual qualities and quantities in the universe. This endorsement from God can distort our perception of actual qualities and quantities in the universe if some well established word was, long ago, miss-invented.

Words like hate are theories about our motivations which create all-engulfing states we call emotions. Take the trumpster for example. I’m sure that many of us have experienced many of the same all-engulfing states since the election. These states emerge when I consider how our fart-in-chief has quickly reversed our progress, betrayed the intentions of our founding ideals and caused our hard earned standing in the world to vanish with a quiet poof. There is disappointment and fear that, for a whopping forty percent of us, he is the correct and appropriate choice of president. There is contempt in seeing that somehow the old phrase the Royal We has been displace by the Democratic Me.

Sometimes there is hope and optimism that we will defeat this menace and redouble our efforts, having been awakened to their fragility. When the trump-story runs and I see it, feelings are evoked. If the story stops, the feelings stop. Until I see the story again. Granted, it is hard to look away. I am unhappy with the situation. I fear it could get worse. It might take a generation or two to fix.

I can find nothing on the palette to call hate. That’s because there is none in plain sight. It’s in the story. I must word this carefully. I don’t believe that trump or his base have thoughts complete enough to lead to actual feelings of the sort described by their opponents. It is not what they are looking for in the story. They get the feeling they want (happy tingles and cartoon demons) by making the story too short to include any comprehension that they are, in practice, hating people. These are story-driven emotions and not emotion-driven stories. It cuts both ways. To the Base, our side is clearly insane with hate and envy. The way they tell the story, we are.

We have a disadvantage in the political arena. We have to tell more story (bulk-wise) then they do in order for it to evoke the feelings we actually have. They will see a smaller story of just the right size to make us look like idiots. Our side must likewise avoid over-extending their stories until they look like monsters when maybe they are only idiots.

We are hobbled more by our thinking then any ancient cauldron of primal emotions waiting for us to allow it to burst forth with bad reasoning. They are there within us, of course, but park un-stoked without a fiery tale.

I offer all a fantastic invitation to Bester’s Telepathic Bar and Grill. It is filled with special quantum fields that make anyone who enters telepathic. Everyone’s mind become an open book. Every thought, feeling and memory is on display like a huge gun & ammo show. My contention is that this event would be surprising. Do we imagine some have, at the bottom of their minds, a primordial soup of seething emotions? Always bubbling because the cooking flame is always burning? Scan the room. I’m betting the farm that there is no smoldering cauldron of hate to find anywhere. They don’t exist.

This is the trouble I was hoping to get in.

[ Edited: 08 April 2019 13:37 by Nhoj Morley]

nonverbal

nonverbal
Joined  31-10-2015

08 April 2019 17:35

Nhoj Morley - 08 April 2019 01:34 PM

That was a kind thing to say, nv. So, was that a mea culpa or heavy sarcasm?

Neither, Nhoj. Just trying to help.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21500
Joined  11-03-2007

08 April 2019 17:54

Welcome to Hater’s Anonymous. My name is Bob. I’m a hate-aholic. I hate the Other, from the football team 9 miles away with different colors (Blue and Gold! How Uggggllllyyyy!) to the country on the other side of the world that threatens my existence. But I recognize it, so I get it out into the light of day and it dries up like a shriveled raisin. Most of my hate cells are dried up now - but they can be re-hydrated and live again, so I have to watch my fluid intake.  Anyway, thanks for being here, fellow haters. See you next time.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6725
Joined  08-12-2006

09 April 2019 20:17

Abandon your political party, then make a batch of popcorn, kick back and enjoy the political theater. Once you no longer have a dog in the fight, watching the Blues and Reds vie for power is almost as entertaining as watching Shiites and Sunni slaughter each other.

Five cents, please.

Image Attachments

5cp-logo.png

1 2 3 >  Last ›