1 2 > 

“Game of Thrones” TV series

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  21-10-2016

14 April 2019 09:00

In my opinion, Game of Thrones is one of the best series to hit the TV screen.  Not just because of the special effects which are awesome, but for the exciting stories, the writing, the abundance of interesting characters, and the great actors.

The final season starts tonight so in the next weeks we’ll see storylines resolved and find out how it all turns out for our favourite characters.  Or perhaps not completely if there are plans for any series spinoffs.

Will the living defeat the White Walkers, and if they do, how huge will be the cost?

Who will finally sit on the Iron Throne?  (I’m rooting for shared Jon/Daenerys rule.)

Once it’s revealed who Jon Snow is and that Daenerys is his aunt, how will this affect their relationship, both romantically and bend-the-knee-wise.

Will the delectably evil Cersei get her just deserts?  Have her baby?

Will Tormund and Brienne hook up?

Will the last two dragons survive?  To breed future dragons?

So many questions ...

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17419
Joined  15-02-2008

14 April 2019 09:06

Great show! Can’t wait to see how it ends, but have to wait until the season is over and then buy one month of HBO and binge it.

[ Edited: 14 April 2019 09:35 by GAD]

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

14 April 2019 09:18

GAD - 14 April 2019 09:06 AM

Great show? Can’t wait to see how it ends, but have to wait until the season is over and then buy one month of HBO and binge it.

Yes, I also look forward to seeing how it ends.  If there are future posts to this thread after the season begins, you might want to watch not to read any ‘spoilers’ since you plan to watch it later.

Once the series is over, I think I might buy a complete set on DVD.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2705
Joined  19-01-2015

14 April 2019 12:56

I started to read the books really late (but before the show started) in the hopes that Martin would finish the series by the time I got to the end.
Never happened.

I very much doubt that the series can be brought to a satisfying conclusion - I fear we are going to end up with a very violent, sexed-up version of Lost.

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

26 April 2019 17:36

Does anyone else familiar with GoT and The Expanse see Brienne and Bobbie as the same character in different times (I mean the book Bobbie, btw, I’m not real impressed with how the TV show Bobbie is going, as much as I like the show)?

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

29 April 2019 12:31

***SPOILER ALERT***

Yup, that certainly was some battle.
https://www.theloop.ca/game-of-thrones-gave-us-a-battle-like-nothing-weve-ever-seen-on-television/

Goes to show ... sometimes being agile and smart (and remembering to “stick ‘em with the pointy end”) is just as powerful as being big and strong.

For those of you who like me had difficulty making out who some of the casualties were, there’s a list at the bottom of the above link.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Total Posts:  3242
Joined  26-03-2013

29 April 2019 13:21

I had to adjust the brightness.  That was so intense and suspenseful I had to remind myself to breathe.  I know I did when Lady Mormont killed the giant on account’a I cheered out loud.  And, it goes without saying, when Arya…well…you know. 

I can’t wait to see it again!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

29 April 2019 14:19

LadyJane - 29 April 2019 01:21 PM

I had to adjust the brightness.  That was so intense and suspenseful I had to remind myself to breathe.  I know I did when Lady Mormont killed the giant on account’a I cheered out loud.  And, it goes without saying, when Arya…well…you know. 

I can’t wait to see it again!

Me too!  There was so much happening and so quickly that I just have to see it again.  It might be easier to breathe the second time around.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

29 April 2019 17:47

What agony watching the dragon (Rhaegal?), covered in wights, trying to shake them off, and falling ...

And the dead rising in the crypt, dead Starks ... I guess no one saw that one coming.  Horribly cool surprise that was.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

12 May 2019 20:18

Well, I guess we all knew power corrupts.
Apparently hell hath no fury like a pissed off Mother of Dragons.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

19 May 2019 20:28

Well, I liked the ending better than I thought I would after last week’s episode, in which it became clear that either Jon or Dany would have to go.

So the daughter of the Mad King went completely mad herself after all.

And Drogon flies off into the sunset.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

20 May 2019 11:50

I liked the ending.  It sort of had to end that way.  All the excitement happened in the episodes leading up to the finale.  This wrapped it up nicely.  I can’t believe all the uproar on the Internet by all the spoon fed snowflakes.  They could always read the books if they want more elaboration.  Here’s a thought: write something yourselves you talentless whiners!

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

20 May 2019 13:29

LadyJane - 20 May 2019 11:50 AM

I liked the ending.  It sort of had to end that way.  All the excitement happened in the episodes leading up to the finale.  This wrapped it up nicely.  I can’t believe all the uproar on the Internet by all the spoon fed snowflakes.  They could always read the books if they want more elaboration.  Here’s a thought: write something yourselves you talentless whiners!

Yeah, that uproar and petition was fairly bizarre.  To receive such a reaction though only indicates how good the writing is I suppose.

It did wrap up nicely, with the endings matching well for each of the characters.  As you know, I’m a bit of a sucker for a somewhat ‘happy ending’ so would have been disappointed if Jon hadn’t survived.

LadyJane

LadyJane
Joined  26-03-2013

21 May 2019 14:12

Jan_CAN - 20 May 2019 01:29 PM
LadyJane - 20 May 2019 11:50 AM

Yeah, that uproar and petition was fairly bizarre.  To receive such a reaction though only indicates how good the writing is I suppose.

It did wrap up nicely, with the endings matching well for each of the characters.  As you know, I’m a bit of a sucker for a somewhat ‘happy ending’ so would have been disappointed if Jon hadn’t survived.

There were more survivors than I thought there’d be at the end.  All good things must come to an end and any disappointment is probably more a reflection of that than the way it ended. 

I enjoyed Sam’s suggestion of democratically electing a leader which was met with rollicking laughter and the inspiring speech by Tyrion that followed.  About Bran.  The adventurous boy who’d been crippled as a child and learned how to fly.  The Stark to become the Three Eyed Raven and venture beyond the great wall in the north while learning the past, present and future of civilization.  In order to save civilization.  A living history.  Fit for a King.  Bran the Broken. 

I don’t wanna overstate this, but, that was the greatest show ever in the history of everything.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Joined  21-10-2016

21 May 2019 15:17

LadyJane - 21 May 2019 02:12 PM

There were more survivors than I thought there’d be at the end.  All good things must come to an end and any disappointment is probably more a reflection of that than the way it ended. 

I enjoyed Sam’s suggestion of democratically electing a leader which was met with rollicking laughter and the inspiring speech by Tyrion that followed.  About Bran.  The adventurous boy who’d been crippled as a child and learned how to fly.  The Stark to become the Three Eyed Raven and venture beyond the great wall in the north while learning the past, present and future of civilization.  In order to save civilization.  A living history.  Fit for a King.  Bran the Broken. 

I don’t wanna overstate this, but, that was the greatest show ever in the history of everything.

I completely agree – the greatest show ever!

We’re definitely on the same wavelength; the speech by Tyrion was excellent – what writing and acting!  And the response to Sam’s apparently too-ahead-of-its-time proposal for democracy was hilarious.

And the new council’s discussion about rebuilding priorities – brothels or shipyards?

That last scene with Jon and Daenerys was very well done.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15752
Joined  17-12-2006

21 May 2019 19:30

Jan_CAN - 21 May 2019 03:17 PM
LadyJane - 21 May 2019 02:12 PM

I completely agree – the greatest show ever!

We’re definitely on the same wavelength; the speech by Tyrion was excellent – what writing and acting!  And the response to Sam’s apparently too-ahead-of-its-time proposal for democracy was hilarious.

And the new council’s discussion about rebuilding priorities – brothels or shipyards?

That last scene with Jon and Daenerys was very well done.

Another excellent speech from another fantastic series, Babylon 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4KVcV_rMwY

1 2 >