< 1 2

Helping People

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  919
Joined  13-02-2017

24 April 2019 14:15

If he were worthy of my help, he wouldn’t need it.

Yeah, and we all deserve our misfortunes….

unsmoked

unsmoked
Total Posts:  8627
Joined  20-02-2006

25 April 2019 11:00

nonverbal - 24 April 2019 01:32 PM
unsmoked - 24 April 2019 12:36 PM

What if there’s a 5% chance that if you help this person your help will somehow bring them unimaginable grief?  For example, you are exiting the parking lot of a supermarket and see someone at the stop sign with a sign that says, ‘HOMELESS AND STARVING - even 25 cents will help.’  You roll down the window and hand them a dollar.  The person now as $4.50 in their pocket and they start across the street to a Burger King, get struck by a car, and are crippled for life.

Christians think Jesus is alive and observing everything he got started.  Wow!  Poor guy!  If only the downside was only 1%.

Buying into the thought experiment actively enough to respond to it seems to encourage emotional bombast or at least worry of some sort. But really—why buy into it enough to engage your analytical programs unless the thought experiment relates to the actual world in some meaningful way? I don’t doubt that it does, but it would be nice to know exactly what we’re talking about.

Fate.

definition of ‘fate’ -  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fate

How do writers today use this word?  Here is a line from the book, ‘SAPIENS’ by Y.N. Harari - (in chapter 12, ‘The Law of Religion’)  quote:  “In classical Greek polytheism, Zeus, Hera, Apollo and their colleagues were subject to an omnipotent and all-encompassing power - Fate (Moira, Ananke).  Nordic gods, too, were in thrall to Fate . . . ” (end quote)

I highlighted the last line of your post.  gyokran probably has another idea what his topic is about.  Helping people?  But the way he presents the question opens a philosophical Pandora’s Box.  Should you move to Seattle after being offered a dream job at Microsoft?  Well, there’s a 1% chance there’s going to be a major earthquake there during your lifetime, followed by a devastating tsunami - so you’d better not . . .

SkepticX

SkepticX
Total Posts:  14817
Joined  24-12-2004

26 April 2019 14:45

Jefe - 22 April 2019 10:37 AM
Antisocialdarwinist - 20 April 2019 12:12 PM

Sounds like a great excuse to never help folks.

Yeah, sounds like Ayn Rand ...

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7107
Joined  15-02-2007

26 April 2019 15:01

SkepticX - 26 April 2019 02:45 PM
Jefe - 22 April 2019 10:37 AM
Antisocialdarwinist - 20 April 2019 12:12 PM

Sounds like a great excuse to never help folks.

Yeah, sounds like Ayn Rand ...

Not sure if ASD is a ‘Randian Objectivist” or not.  But I agree that this sounds similar.

< 1 2