1 2 3 >  Last ›

If God made us, why did he make us so stupid?

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9759
Joined  20-10-2006

20 April 2019 23:25

The title was stolen from https://darwinawards.com/misc/faq.html

Just askin’.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2901
Joined  19-01-2015

21 April 2019 01:08

To address the title:

He made us in his own image.

[ Edited: 21 April 2019 04:21 by Twissel]

Skipshot

Skipshot
Total Posts:  9759
Joined  20-10-2006

21 April 2019 01:53

Twissel - 21 April 2019 01:08 AM

To address the title:

He made use in his own image.

Great answer!  God doesn’t seem so impressive now.  Let’s let The Deity speak for himself:  https://youtu.be/pwf6QD-REMY

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  338
Joined  07-02-2017

21 April 2019 08:39

Stupid is as stupid believes.

Belief in a stupid God makes a person stupid.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3472
Joined  21-10-2016

21 April 2019 08:56

Perhaps we were created for his amusement?  As in a film – if all the characters were to behave sensibly, it would be terribly boring.  One couldn’t fault an omnipotent being from getting a little bored by the void and wanting to livin’ things up a bit.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1379
Joined  01-11-2014

21 April 2019 11:56

It says he made us all to be just like him. So if we’re dumb, then god is dumb, and maybe even a little ugly on the side.
— Frank Zappa

I miss Frank.

[ Edited: 21 April 2019 12:12 by Cheshire Cat]

GAD

GAD
Total Posts:  17892
Joined  15-02-2008

21 April 2019 12:17

Stupid pet tricks.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Joined  07-02-2017

21 April 2019 13:15

So we would believe in miracles but not facts.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Total Posts:  364
Joined  18-12-2018

22 April 2019 12:25

In your life up to this point, have you found intellectual material that is satisfying to you?

icehorse

icehorse
Total Posts:  7749
Joined  22-02-2014

23 April 2019 08:00

TwoSeven1 - 22 April 2019 12:25 PM

In your life up to this point, have you found intellectual material that is satisfying to you?

Sometimes yes. I’m curious to know where you’re headed.. ?

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

23 April 2019 08:32

icehorse - 23 April 2019 08:00 AM

If the answer to the question is yes, then I would respond:  How are we all stupid?

God didn’t create us to be stupid.  Human beings have the innate ability to learn.

It would seem to me that stupidity comes from a place of indifference toward the truth.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Joined  07-02-2017

23 April 2019 17:14

TwoSeven1 - 23 April 2019 08:32 AM

If the answer to the question is yes, then I would respond:  How are we all stupid?

God didn’t create us to be stupid.  Human beings have the innate ability to learn.

It would seem to me that stupidity comes from a place of indifference toward the truth.

The truth - with respect to Christianity - is there are nearly as many versions of the ‘truth’ as there are Christians. Christians aren’t necessarily stupid, they’re just willing to believe in the promises of a religion, that most were indoctrinated in from youth, to self-soothe against the harshness of life and the fear of the finality of death.

Truth claims must be backed with facts and evidence to be valid. Ironically most Christians will agree with this, while at the same time believing in some absurd things. Ben Carson believes the pyramids were constructed to store grain. On one hand a neurosurgeon, while on the other, someone who is willing to completely subvert his critical faculties when it comes to his religious beliefs. So I guess you could say he’s willing to make himself “stupid”, when it comes to religion.

The danger of any unfounded belief is in letting it inform your decision making. This in turn can impact the people around you and society, often negatively, and especially if one is in a position of power. We have to be smarter.The prospects for our survival depend on our ability for critical thinking based on truths that are backed by evidence.

[ Edited: 23 April 2019 17:47 by proximacentauri]

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

24 April 2019 09:11

proximacentauri - 23 April 2019 05:14 PM
TwoSeven1 - 23 April 2019 08:32 AM

The truth - with respect to Christianity - is there are nearly as many versions of the ‘truth’ as there are Christians. Christians aren’t necessarily stupid, they’re just willing to believe in the promises of a religion, that most were indoctrinated in from youth, to self-soothe against the harshness of life and the fear of the finality of death.

Truth claims must be backed with facts and evidence to be valid. Ironically most Christians will agree with this, while at the same time believing in some absurd things. Ben Carson believes the pyramids were constructed to store grain. On one hand a neurosurgeon, while on the other, someone who is willing to completely subvert his critical faculties when it comes to his religious beliefs. So I guess you could say he’s willing to make himself “stupid”, when it comes to religion.

The danger of any unfounded belief is in letting it inform your decision making. This in turn can impact the people around you and society, often negatively, and especially if one is in a position of power. We have to be smarter.The prospects for our survival depend on our ability for critical thinking based on truths that are backed by evidence.

I can’t speak to the varying beliefs of other Christians.

Would you claim that all the things you know are the truth?  Where would you draw the line?

Assuming that you are an atheist, what does it matter if humanity’s existence continues or doesn’t continue?  I’ve heard many atheists say that we have to ensure the continuity of humanity.  Why?  If death is final, what reason would an atheist have to care about the continuity of humanity?  Reducing even further, if the Bible isn’t the truth, what would anything matter at all?

You need to have a concrete foundation for morality and the meaning of life if you are going to say that anything can be dangerous or unfounded.  Staying in the reductive line of reasoning for another moment, the only part of the truth that I can see an atheist adhering to is mathematics.  Doesn’t seem like there are any answers to morality or the meaning of life in it, though.

Jan_CAN

Jan_CAN
Total Posts:  3472
Joined  21-10-2016

24 April 2019 13:04

TwoSeven1 - 24 April 2019 09:11 AM

Assuming that you are an atheist, what does it matter if humanity’s existence continues or doesn’t continue?  I’ve heard many atheists say that we have to ensure the continuity of humanity.  Why?  If death is final, what reason would an atheist have to care about the continuity of humanity?  Reducing even further, if the Bible isn’t the truth, what would anything matter at all?

You need to have a concrete foundation for morality and the meaning of life if you are going to say that anything can be dangerous or unfounded.  Staying in the reductive line of reasoning for another moment, the only part of the truth that I can see an atheist adhering to is mathematics.  Doesn’t seem like there are any answers to morality or the meaning of life in it, though.

There often seems to be some sort of presumption made by the religious that atheists somehow lack a moral centre or care less about their fellow humans.  This is not only untrue, but atheists are more able to look at the human condition from a fairer, more just point of view because they do not have the baggage of religious doctrines (e.g. misogyny, homophobia) to contend with.

Personally, I prefer the term ‘humanist’ to ‘atheist’.

Since death is final, our life here on earth is of the only and utmost importance since there is no afterlife of more importance.  What we leave behind is how we’ve treated others and our planet.  The goal not a personal one to enter heaven, but to contribute even in the smallest way to leaving the world a better place.

Man created god, so the good that there is in religion (e.g. The Golden Rule) comes from within us and we do not need a god in order to pursue those qualities now that science and modern knowledge answers the questions for which a god was needed in the past.  The meaning of life can be found by simply living, in nature, and in love.

TwoSeven1

TwoSeven1
Joined  18-12-2018

24 April 2019 14:20

Jan_CAN - 24 April 2019 01:04 PM

There often seems to be some sort of presumption made by the religious that atheists somehow lack a moral centre or care less about their fellow humans.  This is not only untrue, but atheists are more able to look at the human condition from a fairer, more just point of view because they do not have the baggage of religious doctrines (e.g. misogyny, homophobia) to contend with.

Personally, I prefer the term ‘humanist’ to ‘atheist’.

Since death is final, our life here on earth is of the only and utmost importance since there is no afterlife of more importance.  What we leave behind is how we’ve treated others and our planet.  The goal not a personal one to enter heaven, but to contribute even in the smallest way to leaving the world a better place.

Man created god, so the good that there is in religion (e.g. The Golden Rule) comes from within us and we do not need a god in order to pursue those qualities now that science and modern knowledge answers the questions for which a god was needed in the past.  The meaning of life can be found by simply living, in nature, and in love.

“There often seems to be some sort of presumption made by the religious that atheists somehow lack a moral centre or care less about their fellow humans.”  This isn’t my presumption.  People can have morals of their own.  Their morals are subjective if not based from a higher authority.

“This is not only untrue, but atheists are more able to look at the human condition from a fairer, more just point of view because they do not have the baggage of religious doctrines (e.g. misogyny, homophobia) to contend with.”  Do all religions have the baggage of doctrines of misogyny and homophobia?

“Since death is final, our life here on earth is of the only and utmost importance since there is no afterlife of more importance.”  If God didn’t exist, and since death is inevitable, what does it matter if we die today or in 50 years?  If I live my life to the fullest and accomplish amazing things that provide comfort and aid to humanity, what have I gained?  What have the people who I served gained?  Isn’t it all accomplished in vain?  If you care to follow along with my line of thinking, Ecclesiastes is a pretty fantastic read.

“The goal not a personal one to enter heaven, but to contribute even in the smallest way to leaving the world a better place.”  The word “better” is subjective.

“Man created god, so the good that there is in religion (e.g. The Golden Rule) comes from within us and we do not need a god in order to pursue those qualities now that science and modern knowledge answers the questions for which a god was needed in the past.  The meaning of life can be found by simply living, in nature, and in love.”  Man didn’t create God.

If God doesn’t exist, then life cannot have any meaning.  The word “meaning” implies a creator/author with intent.  If nothing intelligent created life, then we are left without meaning.  You can live your life in a way that communicates your intent to other people, but in the end, we didn’t bring anything into this world, and we can’t take anything out of it.

The “Golden Rule” only works in the context of God’s existence.  Who’s to say what’s good for you is good for me?  We either have God and hope of salvation, or we have nihilism.  There isn’t another conclusion to reduce to.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Joined  07-02-2017

24 April 2019 14:34

I can’t speak to the varying beliefs of other Christians.

Or perhaps you just don’t want to open that box of worms because you know it would highlight how variable Christian ‘truth’ is.

Would you claim that all the things you know are the truth?  Where would you draw the line?

I think it’s in our best interest not to succumb to stories of ‘miracles’ that have no basis in fact. Lies and mythical beliefs cause needless suffering and death in the world. Your god is invisible and cannot be distinguished from those you think to be nonexistent, even though in your mind it can. Truths require objective evidence. But like the truth claims of our current resident in the White House, the truth claims of Christianity do not hold up to scrutiny.

Actually, the reverse is more the case. Many Christians and Muslims are looking for the ‘end times’. And many have said they welcome it. So essentially, they long for the destruction of mankind. The non-believers I know tend to be more concerned with the preservation and prosperity of mankind because we think of ourselves as a member of the human race and as has already been said, we would like to be good stewards of the earth during our time here and make whatever difference we can to leave it a better place for the next generation of humanity.

Many Christians don’t have a problem with bringing death to the world in elective wars. The Catholic Church contributed to millions of AIDS deaths in Sub-Saharan Africa by restricting birth control. White Supremacy and Christianity combine in a toxic mix in the South. I could go on but I’ll stop there. Most Atheists I know are morally superior to the average Christian I knew in the 40 plus years I practiced Christianity.

I suggest you might take a look at this as the only moral code you’ll need - Help other people, and if you can’t help them, at least don’t hurt them.

[ Edited: 24 April 2019 14:41 by proximacentauri]

1 2 3 >  Last ›