What is Hell

gyokran

gyokran
Total Posts:  6
Joined  20-04-2019

24 April 2019 16:03

I am struggling to imagine true hell. Is hell defined as the worst possible place you could ever be in? Then all those religious versions of hell seem way too soft. How do you truely give someone the worst possible suffering for eternity? I guess in hell literally everything is possible so you can expect there to be some kind of for us humans unimaginable “technologies” to make people suffer. Maybe amplify/scale up the emotional/suffering capacity of a person to infinity and then let him relive the worst possible suffering possible physically and emotionally (losing everyone that person loves etc) at the same time within the shortest possible time interval. And before you let him relive that terrible experience you erase the memory of it so he can never get used to it and repeat this whole process for eternity. Even this version is one of the softest hell possible in comparison with true hell right?

[ Edited: 24 April 2019 16:06 by gyokran]

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21500
Joined  11-03-2007

24 April 2019 20:40

Eternal hell is the worst thing early churchmen could imagine. Today our imaginations are greater since we know more about what can happen. It’s the worst you can think of, with the church’s stamp of approval. It scares the “hell” out of people, so you start thinking of your worst nightmare.  It only exists in our heads.

Twissel

Twissel
Total Posts:  2735
Joined  19-01-2015

24 April 2019 21:49

Hell is any scenario in which you are in a situation you desperately want to change, but it is out of your hands to do so, and with no expectations of help.

Hell is present in many places on earth today.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  7082
Joined  15-02-2007

24 April 2019 22:21

Hell is a control story cooked up out of the polyglot of human mythology, used to rope in the gullible authoritarians.

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

25 April 2019 13:24

Can you first determine what you would suffer with? How can your soul tell hot from cold without some kind of sensory apparatus or at least a smidge of material that is thermally reactive? Tortured souls dwell on things. A proper Hell would leave its patrons with nothing to perceive but their own inner problems. Isn’t that why babies get to stay in limbo?

gyokran

gyokran
Total Posts:  6
Joined  20-04-2019

25 April 2019 13:44

Well the holy books (Bible, Koran or whatever) describe the hell as a place with fire. Like burning sulfur or lake of fire. There are also asian imaginations of hell like mountains made of countless spikes or oceans made of blood. These all sound like objects from the physical world we currently live in and may sound terrible. But these actually sound too soft if you think about it. A true hell with physical possibilities could/should be way more terrible and thats why i thought about how you would give a conscious beeing the worst possible suffering if it is truely meant as the worst possible place to be in.

Or let me just ask you this way: Lets say you have god like power. Everything you imagine is possible. What would you do to give someone the worst possible outcome for eternity. Your job is to create the worst suffering imaginable, what would you do?

Nhoj Morley

Nhoj Morley
Total Posts:  6339
Joined  22-02-2005

26 April 2019 00:33

gyokran - 25 April 2019 01:44 PM

Lets say you have god like power. Everything you imagine is possible. What would you do to give someone the worst possible outcome for eternity. Your job is to create the worst suffering imaginable, what would you do?

I would say take this job and shove it. It is too silly. Then I would use my powers to upgrade the cosmos to something less silly.

Outcomes are often punishment enough.

EN

EN
Total Posts:  21500
Joined  11-03-2007

26 April 2019 08:57

gyokran - 25 April 2019 01:44 PM

Well the holy books (Bible, Koran or whatever) describe the hell as a place with fire. Like burning sulfur or lake of fire. There are also asian imaginations of hell like mountains made of countless spikes or oceans made of blood. These all sound like objects from the physical world we currently live in and may sound terrible. But these actually sound too soft if you think about it. A true hell with physical possibilities could/should be way more terrible and thats why i thought about how you would give a conscious beeing the worst possible suffering if it is truely meant as the worst possible place to be in.

Or let me just ask you this way: Lets say you have god like power. Everything you imagine is possible. What would you do to give someone the worst possible outcome for eternity. Your job is to create the worst suffering imaginable, what would you do?

I suppose it’s an interesting thought experiment, but since I have no desire to cause suffering, I don’t have to spend a lot of time on this.  I suppose that I would find out what that person’s greatest fear is and give it to them in spades.  But what a sucky job.

Antisocialdarwinist

Antisocialdarwinist
Total Posts:  6725
Joined  08-12-2006

26 April 2019 22:35

Other people.

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1281
Joined  01-11-2014

27 April 2019 16:17

Don’t play dice with the Devil or you’ll find out.

https://shelsilversteinpooem.blogspot.com/

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5104
Joined  28-05-2009

27 April 2019 23:46

Hell was described to me by a junior high school teacher as a state of knowledge. Since every knee will bow before the one true lord at the end time we will all witness, comprehend and experience the love of god. For the saved this experience is eternal. For the damned it is just quick taste. That way when they are cast into the pit or the lake of fire or what have you they get to contemplate with ultimate regret the fact that they are denied that love for eternity.

I’m not sure if this is canon in any particular tradition but it’s the description that I most immediately recall and associate with that word now.

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  865
Joined  13-02-2017

29 April 2019 04:23

Whatever it is, presumably it would require some kind of access to what those in heaven are experiencing, otherwise those in hell might become used to their suffering like one becomes used to a bad odor that over time fades into the background and is hardly noticed.

burt

burt
Total Posts:  15809
Joined  17-12-2006

29 April 2019 08:18

Well, check out Dante. Pretty good descriptions of Purgatory and Paradise, too.

On the other hand, for a modern sort, how about: Hell is the Subjective. (a Buddhist twist, that)

Or, from Khayyam:

“They say, ‘Be sober, lest you die of drink
And earn Hell fire on Gods Last Judgment Day.
Nevertheless my blaze of drunkenness
Outshines both worlds: your Now and your Hereafter.

Already at Creation I stretched out
For Pen and Tablet, also Heaven and Hell;
But prudently my Teacher warned me, ‘Pen
and Tablet, Heaven and Hell, lie in yourself.’

My broken body serves the Sky for girdle,
My precious tears carve out the Jihun’s bed.
Hell is the furnace for my suffering soul,
Paradise my one moment of release.”

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1281
Joined  01-11-2014

01 May 2019 15:13

“Well, it’s Christmas,” says the Devil, “and all of us down here below,
We sort of celebrate in our own sweet way, and this year you’re the star of the show.
Why, just last night I was up on earth and I seen that little bit of poon.’”

“Poon?” says Billy Markham. “Last thing I need is poon.
Talk about gettin’ my ashes hauled, Hell, I’ll be all ashes soon.”

“Damn, damn!” the Devil screams. “He’s been too long on the fires.
I told you imps to fry him slow, now you gone and burned out his desire.
You gotta leave ‘em some hope, leave ‘em some dreams, so they know what Hell is for,
‘Cause when a man forgets how sweet love is, well, Hell ain’t Hell no more.

— Shel Silverstein, Billy Markham’s Last Roll

http://crazcowboy.tripod.com/Silverstein/markham.htm