5. self-dishonesty
6. dishonesty toward others
7. - - - - -

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher
Total Posts:  806
Joined  13-02-2017

09 May 2019 06:24

Number 7 is not showing up on my screen. 

Some others include:

Honesty, compassion, self-sacrifice, charity, and tolerance…

One could include “science” in there too, so long as one understands “religious” and “faith” correctly.  I’ve never met a good scientist who didn’t have faith in the pregnant sense of the term (and no, “faith” as “belief without good reasons” is not a pregnant sense of the term, nor is the more generic “belief without evidence.”)

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1622
Joined  31-10-2015

09 May 2019 06:27

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 09 May 2019 06:24 AM

Some others include:

Honesty, compassion, self-sacrifice, charity, and tolerance…

One could include “science” in there too, so long as one understands “religious” and “faith” correctly.  I’ve never met a good scientist who didn’t have faith in the pregnant sense of the term (and no, “faith” as “belief without good reasons” is not a pregnant sense of the term, nor is the more generic “belief without evidence.”)

No argument from me. Just pointing to a couple of under-the-surface items that can tend not to be noticed.

nonverbal

nonverbal
Total Posts:  1622
Joined  31-10-2015

09 May 2019 06:46

TheAnal_lyticPhilosopher - 09 May 2019 06:24 AM

It’s one of a zillion little implied shortcuts that have evolved at this place over the years. If you’d been here for a while, you’d see quite a few more, I suspect.

Brick Bungalow

Brick Bungalow
Total Posts:  5046
Joined  28-05-2009

09 May 2019 08:00

This is one of the few points where new atheists actually have a very valid point and one I’d agree and reiterate.

Religions, like most any cultural institutions are mixed bags of good, bad and neutral elements.

The beneficial intuitions and habits associated with religion are rarely specific to one religion. The majority of ethical precepts are common in all cultures and do not suddenly evaporate when the culture becomes less religious. In fact, a strong argument can often be made the other way about. There are important exceptions like radical pacifism, ethical vegetarianism, anonymous charity and a few others. On the broad view however I think its fair to say that morality precedes religion and is not derived from it. This is why we can read a holy book and discriminate between literal prescriptions and metaphorical ones.

The detrimental intuitions and habits are frequently specific to a religious tradition and often explicitly enshrined in tradition and scripture. Find me an active and legal slave trade operating today and tell me what religion it’s organizers follow. Same for legal wife beating. Same for genital mutilation of children. Suicide bombing. Honor killings. Child brides and so forth. These traditions tend to diminish in plural and secular societies but not in theocratic ones. It’s important to stress that theocracy not only preserves this behavior but frequently legalizes it.

We’ve been in circles over this before of course but I feel the need to keep the flag high. Religious practice should be protected. Religious authority needs to be kept in constant check. I’m certain of it.

Jefe

Jefe
Total Posts:  6878
Joined  15-02-2007

09 May 2019 09:52

Divisiveness, and the inherent discrimination that comes along with it, is a primary attribute of many religions.

proximacentauri

proximacentauri
Total Posts:  259
Joined  07-02-2017

09 May 2019 11:31

Xenophobia
Fascism
Anti-Intellectualism

[ Edited: 09 May 2019 11:34 by proximacentauri]

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat
Total Posts:  1216
Joined  01-11-2014

11 May 2019 12:30

The attitude of a death cult:

This world is merely transitory. Our real home is in heaven.

Global warming, over population, the mass extinction of species, famine, drought, war, mass migration of displaced people, do not matter. Let the world burn.

The Rapture and the End Times are fast approaching.

A fifty foot tall Jesus will fly out of the clouds and rescue all us special “saved” Evangelicals. The rest of you sinners will burn in hell.